PDA

View Full Version : Squeezbox Duet won't run WMA lossless - suggestions?

Hinduclient
2008-05-24, 11:45
I've got the Logitech Squeezebox Duet hooked up. MP3s and playlists sound great. The network works. But WMA lossless files don't playback. The Squeezeserver software shows the song is playing, the time decreases in the display, but no sound. The website mentions something about transcoding WMA lossless, but tech support was cordial, but clueless. Any suggestions?

I'm running SqueezeCenter Version 7.0.1

Settings > File type > Windows Media > the choices are either on or disabled. Looks OK - mp3s play - WMA lossless doesn't.

RonM
2008-05-25, 06:32
I have almost my entire library in WMA lossless, and it works fine.

There are several file types supported in hardware (in the SB itself). These are MP3, FLAC, WAV, AIFF, WMA (except for lossless) and OGG. WMA is one of the formats that are supported with transcoding -- the computer has to re-code the files on the fly. Other ones include AAC, Apple Lossless, APE, MPC and WavPack -- basically, I don't know much about these except for WMA lossless.

It sounds like there is something going on with the transcoding -- SC thinks it is processing the file (and the display reflects this), but either the transcoding isn't happening properly, or the transcoded files are making too much of a demand on network throughput. You could try creating a file in one of the other transcoded formats, to see if it works, or if the problem is more generally with transcoding.

R.

Jeff Flowerday
2008-05-25, 08:30
Your problem might be related to this bug.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7916

If you can catch a log file for the developers and post it in the above bug report. It may help them solve the problem.

Jacobb
2008-05-26, 07:26
My library is WMA lossless as well and it plays fine. I didn't know about the transcoding, though. Does that mean it transcodes it to WAV or does it transcode it to FLAC? - I don't quite understand the settings under "file types" - I'm new to this game.

And what processing power is needed for this transcoding - does it limit what NAS you can use for your library and squeezecenter?

Jacob

Jeff Flowerday
2008-05-26, 07:59
My library is WMA lossless as well and it plays fine. I didn't know about the transcoding, though. Does that mean it transcodes it to WAV or does it transcode it to FLAC? - I don't quite understand the settings under "file types" - I'm new to this game.

And what processing power is needed for this transcoding - does it limit what NAS you can use for your library and squeezecenter?

Jacob

By default it transcodes to FLAC. But you can tell it to transcode to WAV which is a little less CPU intensive but requires more network bandwidth.

Yes, you would be pushing the processing power on a NAS if transcoding.

Jacobb
2008-05-26, 08:15
Is there any list of suitable NAS that works with WMA lossless?

I actually just ordered a ReadyNas Duo yesterday - anyone knows whether it will work with WMA Lossless?
I'm buliding a gigabit network, so I guess I would transcode to WAV.

Thanks,
Jacob

funkstar
2008-05-26, 08:24
Is there any list of suitable NAS that works with WMA lossless?

I actually just ordered a ReadyNas Duo yesterday - anyone knows whether it will work with WMA Lossless?
I'm buliding a gigabit network, so I guess I would transcode to WAV.
I don't think there are any NAS boxes that will transcode WMALossless, the ReadyNas doesn't - http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6438

I would recoment using FLAC personally.

andyg
2008-05-26, 08:41
If you want to use WMA Lossless you need to be running a Windows server. If you don't want to be tied to Windows, don't use a proprietary Microsoft audio format. :)

Jacobb
2008-05-26, 13:12
Hi AndyG
My problem is that I started ripping to WMA Lossless to use on my Zune player. It does not play FLAC.
I don't know whether Zune media player will convert FLAC to WMA when synchronizing to the device...

Any suggestions appriciated...
How do I smartes convert my WMAL library to FLAC. I have been using EAC ripping until now.

Thanks
Jacob

andyg
2008-05-26, 13:22
I don't know an easy way to convert to FLAC, maybe foobar2000?

Jeff Flowerday
2008-05-26, 13:38
Hi AndyG
My problem is that I started ripping to WMA Lossless to use on my Zune player. It does not play FLAC.
I don't know whether Zune media player will convert FLAC to WMA when synchronizing to the device...

Any suggestions appriciated...
How do I smartes convert my WMAL library to FLAC. I have been using EAC ripping until now.

Thanks
Jacob

If you convert your library to FLAC, you render your whole library useless to your Zune software and your Zune. If you stay WMA Lossless you won't be able to run slimserver on your NAS. I think you need to look at running slimserver on something other than your NAS and keep your library in WMA Lossless. You can still use your NAS as storage.