PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox 3 rebooting - warranty status?

grein002
2008-05-24, 10:36
I have a Squeezebox 3 (wireless) purchased on 3/28/07. It just today started spontaneously rebooting while in use. Does anyone know whether it has a one or two year warranty based on the purchase date?

Thanks,

Scott

cord
2008-05-24, 14:10
Hmmm, thats interesting. My v3 squeezebox has just starting rebooting as well. Its fine in the menus, but as soon as you play any music (from mp3 files, internet radio, or squeezebox network) it plays between 0-10 seconds of the file and then freezes, then about 3 seconds later it reboots itself.

Tried everything to fix it, upgraded firmware, set to factory defaults, nothing has worked.

I send an email to Logitec today about this (just now infact).

Apteryx
2008-05-24, 15:51
Seen that happen when I managed to give one of mine an IP address conflict... not necessarily likely, but worth checking to eliminate it.

iPhone
2008-05-24, 20:08
I have a Squeezebox 3 (wireless) purchased on 3/28/07. It just today started spontaneously rebooting while in use. Does anyone know whether it has a one or two year warranty based on the purchase date?

Thanks,

Scott

Users Grein002 and Cord, can you give us some details and information to work off of? I had a similar problem months ago. Actually ended up having two things cause it. One was a network IP conflict/wireless issue. The other was software/firmware related.

Have either of you added any new programs or hardware lately?
What OS, Computer, Network equipment, Wired or Wireless LAN?
Version of SS or SC are you running? Firmware version of hardware?
Lastly list what is attached or uses the LAN?

grein002
2008-05-25, 10:34
Users Grein002 and Cord, can you give us some details and information to work off of? I had a similar problem months ago. Actually ended up having two things cause it. One was a network IP conflict/wireless issue. The other was software/firmware related.

Have either of you added any new programs or hardware lately?
What OS, Computer, Network equipment, Wired or Wireless LAN?
Version of SS or SC are you running? Firmware version of hardware?
Lastly list what is attached or uses the LAN?

OK, here goes...

Info from SqueezeCenter:

SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0 - 17793 - Windows Server 2003 - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.1.14
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

Player info:

Failing player:
Model: Squeezebox v3
Firmware: 86
The IP address for this player is: 192.168.1.100:23107
The ethernet MAC address for this player is: 00:04:20:06:ed:f3
Wireless Signal Strength: 60

Non-failing player:
Firmware: 86
The IP address for this player is: 192.168.1.105:37157
The ethernet MAC address for this player is: 00:04:20:06:ce:1c

Network:

WRT54GS running Tomato Firmware
Netgear FS116 switch
Netgear GS108 switch

Other attached devices:

3 Directv Tivos (series 2)
2 Directv HDDVR's (HR20-100)

Macbook
Homegrown Intel core 2 duo desktop with Abit motherboard
Dell Dimension 5150 (Running Windows server 2003 and SqueezeCenter)

There have been no recent changes to my network, and no software added. This problem is only occurring on one of my two squeezeboxes. All IP addresses are handed out via static DHCP, no IP conflicts.

cord
2008-05-25, 13:39
I just verified the IP and there is no clash (switched off Sbox, cleared arp cache, no replies from ping to that address until Sbox is back on).

I was using wireless, but just tried it direct on ethernet, same issue.

Server OS is Windows 2003 SP2.

SqueezeCenter Information

SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0.1 - 19705 @ Wed May 14 19:43:37 PDT 2008 - Windows Server 2003 - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.1.3
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

Platform Architecture: 586
Hostname: cordserver2008
Server Port Number: 9000
Total Players Recognized: 1

Player Information

Name: Cordplayer
Firmware: 88
The IP address for this player is: 192.168.1.68:48492
The Ethernet MAC address for this player is: 00:04:20:06:36:27

I have several things on the LAN but nothing different from 6 months ago. 2 Printers, 3 workstations, 1 server, 1 NAS (DLNA compatible), 1 laptop, 1 Nintendo Wii.

The problem was there with the previous firmware version (since I upgraded to the latest when I found the issue), not sure what that previous version was.

The player only freezes and resets during playback, all other menu/SS functions work without error.

I don't use it often, probably last time was a few months ago. It usually just sits there in clock mode.

cord
2008-05-26, 16:26
Well I just uninstalled the latest software and tried going back to older v6 server software and older firmware (81), but the player is still crashing in the same way. So I think there is a problem with my squeeezebox 3. How can I get it fixed? I don't want to turn it into a 200 doorstop.

cord
2008-06-07, 14:40
After a few emails to Logitech support, I am now waiting for a brand new Squeezebox Classic in the post. Very happy about that, since my current broken one is just over 2 years old. Amazing service, honestly surprised me.

They asked for the PSU and remote battery cover back from my current one, once I receive the new one.

grein002
2008-06-07, 17:51
After a few emails to Logitech support, I am now waiting for a brand new Squeezebox Classic in the post. Very happy about that, since my current broken one is just over 2 years old. Amazing service, honestly surprised me.

They asked for the PSU and remote battery cover back from my current one, once I receive the new one.

Wow, how did you manage that?? They only offered to repair mine, so I have to send it to them and wait a couple of weeks without. And mine is just over 1 year old... :-(

ehjones
2008-06-08, 13:38
Hi,

I had a similar issue with a SB3 connected to squeezecenter 7.0 (that had been upgraded from slimserver). I had some helpful suggestions from logitech tech support (such as, 'make sure the remote control isn't in range, in case it is faulty and transmitting spurious signals.'). None of the suggestions worked and I was about to sort out getting the SB3 replaced under warranty, when the issue suddenly disappeared...

I never really worked out why, but I did had ended up completely wiping squeezecenter and reinstalling from scratch. I also 'upgraded' to the development version 7.1, but I think it was the complete reinstall that did the trick.

FYI, this is on a Debian Etch installation.

Ed

cord
2008-06-10, 05:04
I did go through all the hoops of testing various things, but thanks to the suggestions on this forum about IP conflicts, firmware versions and server versions I had tried almost everything before contacting them. They did ask me to force a factory reset a few times. Nothing fixed the freezing during playback.

I've plugged in the new one (got a black one instead of the silver one I had, which is a nice change, I don't mind that at all), and I've noticed something else about it. My last one would never connect to my wireless router at close range (ie, the desk above my router), but would connect from downstairs no problem (80% signal). This new black one connected fine while on my desk in wireless mode, so it must have some hardware differences, which you would expect over 2 years.

I'm going to uninstall v6.5.1 of the server software now and go back to trying the latest 7, unless someone here recommends I stick with 6.5.1.