PDA

View Full Version : New Firmware Old Slimserver?

dtz
2008-05-24, 09:24
After months of angst and unhappiness with SC 7, 7.01 and various betas, I've rediscovered bliss with SlimServer 6.5.4. SC was way too slow and glithchy in every way imaginable. My question is can I update firmware 31 to something higher to play Reference Recordings and Music Giants hi res downloads in their native formats without "software decimation" (Sean's description)? Are firmware downloads available separately or only bundled with SlimServer or SC?
Thanks for any responses

amcluesent
2008-05-24, 11:38
IIRC, you can d/l the archive of the nightly SqueezeCentre to get firmware 42, extract the firmware .bin file and drop that into the ..\firmware directory for the slimsever. Then edit the transporter.version file to refer to the binary you want to load, press and hold brightness on remote to force the firmware to reload.

dtz
2008-05-25, 10:33
Thanks for the reply, but I don't know how to extract the .bin file from the SC7 .exe file.

amcluesent
2008-05-25, 16:05
Get the .ZIP file from the 7.1 nightly http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/7.1/

dtz
2008-05-25, 18:14
Extracting the .bin is a lot easier from the .zip than from the .exe. Your suggestion worked. Thanks a lot.