PDA

View Full Version : Squeeze Receiver setup

cata02
2008-05-22, 13:53
Hello!

I an thinking of buying a Receiver to stream my wav/flac/ape/wv files to the amp (through a external dac).

Computer->squeeze(wi-fi)->external dac->amp

is the remote control reallly required? if i plug the receiver in a dhcp-enabled network would the receiver get an ip? if so can it be entirely managed through the computer without using a remote?

also, is there a way to simulate the receiver like a soundcard? i mean installing a sound driver, listening through that sound device, and while listening the sound would be routed to the receiver. like a network printer.
i'd really like to keep using media player 11. :)

mvalera
2008-05-22, 15:37
The Squeezebox Controller is required, yes.

There is a plug-in that Robin Bowes has authored that will allow you to set it up without the Controller, but the use of that plug-in will not be supported by us. So if you have any issues, you will have to rely on your own skills and the community to save you.

Mike

cata02
2008-05-22, 21:42
:(
a 150$ device requiring a 300$ remote.

how about my second question? using the receiver like a computer souncard.

thanks.

peter
2008-05-22, 22:16
cata02 wrote:
> :(
> a 150$ device requiring a 300$ remote.
>
> how about my second question? using the receiver like a computer
> souncard.
>

There's supposed to be some kind of plugin, but I wouldn't get my hopes
up. The sound will most certainly be too lagged
for playing DVD's and stuff. There are probably better solutions if you
just want your WMP sound on your amp.

IMHO, you're missing the whole point of the system.

Regards,
Peter

mherger
2008-05-22, 23:44
> a 150$ device requiring a 300$ remote.

It's not a remote for that one 150$ device. It's a remote for a whole
family of devices. Take the Transporter and it's a 300$ remote for a
2000$ device. Add some SB3s and Receivers to the mix and you have a
300$ remote for a multi thousand dollar distributed audio system.

Michael

mkt
2008-05-27, 06:32
The SBR can be configured without the controller. The tool to do this is here:

http://projects.robinbowes.com/trac/Net-UDAP

As already mentioned, this approach is not officially supported. So, if it doesn't work you're on your own. There is, of course, the 30-day satisfaction guarantee.;-)

I ordered the SBR by itself and configured it with Net-UDAP. My SBR is connected wirelessly (WPA). It can be controlled by your computer (Squeezecenter) or by syncing it with a SB3 and controlling that by IR-remote.

Hello!

I an thinking of buying a Receiver to stream my wav/flac/ape/wv files to the amp (through a external dac).

Computer->squeeze(wi-fi)->external dac->amp

is the remote control reallly required? if i plug the receiver in a dhcp-enabled network would the receiver get an ip? if so can it be entirely managed through the computer without using a remote?

also, is there a way to simulate the receiver like a soundcard? i mean installing a sound driver, listening through that sound device, and while listening the sound would be routed to the receiver. like a network printer.
i'd really like to keep using media player 11. :)