PDA

View Full Version : Spammers

danco
2008-05-22, 08:44
Is there any way to kick spammers off the list? I suppose that, even if this could be done, the spammer could just join again under a different name.

One spam private message from tiger039 I just ignored. But a second such message makes me feel that action is needed.

iPhone
2008-05-23, 08:47
Is there any way to kick spammers off the list? I suppose that, even if this could be done, the spammer could just join again under a different name.

One spam private message from tiger039 I just ignored. But a second such message makes me feel that action is needed.

Personally, I have a very low tolerance for SPAM and Commercial Advertising on Forums. I think all we can really do is use the "!" to report them to Administrators. They will then delete the SPAM and block the spammerís account. Of course they can just create another one, but hopefully at some point it will not longer be worth their effort to keep opening new accounts.

As for SPAM that is PM'd to anyone, I would forward it to an Administrator so they can take the appropriate action. Again, with SPAM, I feel it will always be a reactionary battle. Receive it, and then act upon it quickly so that hopefully the spammer gets the message that it will not be tolerated.

radish
2008-05-25, 11:06
The forum has been surprisingly free of spammers for a while but there has been an uptick recently. Of course this kind of thing is dealt with as quickly as possible, but anything which relies on people is bound to have the occasional delay (particularly on the Sunday in the middle of a holiday weekend here in the US!).

Please do use the report function if you see a spam (or otherwise inappropriate) message. FYI, any spam post seen by a mod will be deleted and the user immediately banned.

mherger
2008-05-25, 11:29
> The forum has been surprisingly free of spammers for a while but there
> has been an uptick recently

As one of us admins usually is online around the clock (I'm in Europe, most of the others in the US) we mostly delete spams within a few minutes. I'm using the mailing list, thus see the message within 5-10 minutes after they've been posted. But sure enough we get too much spam.

--

Michael