PDA

View Full Version : sound quality

rwb
2008-05-20, 18:00
i recently ripped my entire cd collection to my hp media center pc m7680n having 500gb in windows media player lossless codec all 800+ cds 10000+ songs were ripped at approx 128kbps starting from the 1984 springsteen box set to jenifer warens 20th anniver."old blue raincoat" dylans "no direction home" dire straits "bothers in arms" and all my sacds dylans,the stones etc.my a/b comparisons between the cd played via yamaha dvd-a/sacd universal changer and yamaha rx 2500 recicver driving a 7.1 cambridge sound works towers w/built in subs center and surround s300s and 2 model 6 rears and the ripped music-it was hard to tell the differnce on most albums/songs on others the cds were distincly clearer and more spacious buta small price to pay for continuous shuffle play and nothing to put away and re stack. my question is will how does the transporter work and will it improve the sound quality to even more closely sound like the original cds or will i be wasting my $2000.the sterophile review indicated it would but iwant to hear from real users thanks. also the ripped music is played through same system via digital coaxial out from pc to the receiver.rwb

kh6idf
2008-05-20, 18:23
I doubt if the Transporter will make a 128k mp3 file sound any better. The limitation there is the bitrate of the file, not the playback equipment. You say it is a 'lossless' codec then you say the cd's were ripped at 128kbps so I assume they are mp3 files. To approach CD quality I would say you need at least 256kbps VBR and even then with a good system you could hear a difference. I am ripping all of my cd's to FLAC so there should be no difference at all, but I don't have nearly as many CD's as you do.

I'm using an external DAC with my SB3 (a Behringer DEQ2496 which does D/A conversion among other things) and the sound quality of 128k streams (Pandora) is really quite good. If I had the same CD to compare I know it would sound better but the 128k is very nice to listen to. When I listen to higher bitrate streams (there is one internet radio station streaming at 320 kb/sec I have in my favorites) it sounds even better, of course.

iPhone
2008-05-20, 19:22
i recently ripped my entire cd collection to my hp media center pc m7680n having 500gb in windows media player lossless codec all 800+ cds 10000+ songs were ripped at approx 128kbps...

also the ripped music is played through same system via digital coaxial out from pc to the receiver.rwb

First question is do you have a Logitech or Slim Devices product (Duet, SB3, Transporter)? From the post it does not look like it. Using a 128Kbps file through a PC Media Player to a sound card to digital out to a HT Receiver is not a path I would compare to a CD player much less an SB3 or Transporter.

If you want Red Book CD sound then rip in FLAC and don't use a PC Media player and sound card. If space is an issue rip to 320 CBR to reduce file size but keep higher resolution. Next the DAC in a Duet or SB3 is probably as good as or better then the Yam Rxcr. I know the Transporter DAC is better then the YAM Rxcr. But the point again is what is the fidelity of the digital file being played? If it is a garbage MP3 128Kbps file then how could one expect it to sound like a CD in a Yam CDP?

Rip your 10 favorite CDs to FLAC (Make sure one is Brothers in Arms), buy a Transporter or Duet, and have a listen. You have 30 days in which to return it if it does not rock your world (no questions asked). But again do not expect any device to make a low fidelity 128Kbps rip sound like a Red Book CD.

rwb
2008-05-20, 19:39
i did rip all the cds in windows media audio lossless codec they are not mp3 files,for some reason the pc says 128kbps but the sound is very compreable if not exact as the original cds and some better than the cds. i double and triple checked this before ripping and windows asked each time which codec/format i wanted to use. iguess i'll have to buy a tranporter and see(listen) for myself thanks again rwb any other comments will be appreciated rwb

Nonreality
2008-05-20, 23:04
With your system I would probably go with the Squeezebox. Thats what I use but I rip both 228vbs and flac. I have a Yamaha rx1800 and it sounds great with my B&W's. I think that our Yamaha's have the same grade dac as the Squeezebox.I don't feel that 128 is garbage but to most 190 and up is the point that you can't notice a difference from cd. Now before the audiophools yell at me,yes there are a percent of people that can tell above that level. You seem to be pretty happy with it now and I think you would be fine but a transporter probably would be over kill. But heck if money is no concern go for it and try it. I'd like to have one but my system is just on the edge of being good enough. I would notice a difference I'm sure but not enough to make me try to afford it. :( Plus then I'd probably have to buy the $1000 magic speaker cables and connects. Sorry back to topic, give it a try on the 30 day trial and start ripping at just a bit hight rate. Use a good ripper too. EAC or dbpoweramp are both secure and great.

ceejay
2008-05-20, 23:39
i did rip all the cds in windows media audio lossless codec they are not mp3 files,for some reason the pc says 128kbps but the sound is very compreable if not exact as the original cds and some better than the cds. i double and triple checked this before ripping and windows asked each time which codec/format i wanted to use. iguess i'll have to buy a tranporter and see(listen) for myself thanks again rwb any other comments will be appreciated rwb

If your PC is telling you that they are encoded at 128kbps then your files are not lossless.

If you think they sound better than the CDs then there is something wrong, somewhere!

If you want a cross check of whether your files are lossless or not, check the file size: how many MB does a typical ripped CD take up on your disc? A lossless rip should occupy somewhere in the region of 300-400MB.

Don't waste your money playing 128kbps files though a Transporter, get a Squeezebox.

IMHO

Phil Leigh
2008-05-21, 10:37
If your PC is telling you that they are encoded at 128kbps then your files are not lossless.

If you think they sound better than the CDs then there is something wrong, somewhere!

If you want a cross check of whether your files are lossless or not, check the file size: how many MB does a typical ripped CD take up on your disc? A lossless rip should occupy somewhere in the region of 300-400MB.

Don't waste your money playing 128kbps files though a Transporter, get a Squeezebox.

IMHO
don't waste your money playing 128kbps files through a Squeezebox, get an iPod :o)

rwb
2008-05-21, 17:07
thankyou i checked "my documents" almost all individual discs contain 270-470mbs forexample tim ries "rolling stone project" is 470mbs as is 25thanniv "old blue raincoat" is 359mb while the original is 279mbs therefore i did rip in wma lossless plus i used over 200gb to rip all the cds some of the really older ones like the kingston trio the hollies etc are only 190's but i think thats a reflection of the original master so somewhere the pc erred.thanks to ALL of you who responded it was agreat help keepthe suggestions and comments coming rwb