PDA

View Full Version : Netflix & Roku do Video

dougwise
2008-05-20, 05:46
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080520/ap_on_hi_te/netflix_tv_6

autopilot
2008-05-20, 06:38
I would love to see LOVEFiLM in the UK do something like this.

But i would not like to see SD go down this road - stick to doing what you are good at with audio please.

JJZolx
2008-05-20, 11:42
That's pretty sweet. I use the Netflix 'Watch Instantly' video streaming all the time. I don't have a TV, but it's nice being able to kick back and watch an old Rockford Files, Coupling, or 30 Rock episode any time I like. It's good to know that Netflix envisions this as the future, since their selection right now for the streaming service isn't extensive.

I've been thinking lately about getting a TV just for movies. The Roku device for $100 would be a no-brainer.

iPhone
2008-05-20, 15:49
Full Details at: http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/

I do not think this is what some people think it is. It will only play movies and TV shows off of a NetFlix account (and does not include new releases). One can't store video, rip video, watch from ones hard drive, or even watch ones own DVDs with it. It is just a $100 box so one can watch NetFlix movies on you big screen instead of just ones PC screen. And the bad news is that not all NetFlix movies are available, just some 10,000 titles that most of us have already seen (at least I have, with several hundred I don't care to see).

Do I think this is the future of video? Not really, but a move in the right direction. I feel DVDs will be a thing of the past in 5 years. It will be the Movie Theater, streaming download, or stored rental download. Using this system will eliminate all copying, the expense of producing DVDs, there is no longer a need for multiple brick & mortar locations, and nothing to mail or return. We can streaming download all the old TV shows and movies we want for one set fee every month and download 5 to 10 current movies in Blu-Ray at around $8 a movie. We will have to delete a Blu-Ray once at the limit to be able to DL another, but no worries, we can DL it again anytime for a buck! In this way they get to sell a box, charge a monthly fee for all the non current movies and TV shows one can watch, and still make money on a DL basis per movie for high def formats.

God help us if the CD industry wakes up and figures out how to fix their broken business model with a system like this!

I personally do not want to see Logitech making a box like this. I want to see Logitech make a 1080P output Video Network Media Player. Would I like all my DVDs on my SqueezeCenter NAS to be watched through a HiDef Video Duet, you can bet the farm I do! I have over 1000 DVDs in alphabetical order in my media room and would love to rip them to HD just like my CDs so I never have to touch physical media again. I have not found a Video Network Media Player that will do Blu-Ray DVDs at a price I am willing to pay with 1080P output. The other issue is preserving the 2.35:1 playback of ripped video.

So Logitech, here is an untapped market to move into that you already have a customer base for the product.

JJZolx
2008-05-20, 16:23
I do not think this is what some people think it is. It will only play movies and TV shows off of a NetFlix account (and does not include new releases). One can't store video, rip video, watch from ones hard drive, or even watch ones own DVDs with it. It is just a $100 box so one can watch NetFlix movies on you big screen instead of just ones PC screen.

Yep. Right now it's not all that easy to get the video from the PC to the TV. It operates both via wired ethernet and WIFI, so it's strikingly similar to the job done for audio by the Squeezebox, albeit with a much narrower content focus.

And the bad news is that not all NetFlix movies are available, just some 10,000 titles that most of us have already seen (at least I have, with several hundred I don't care to see).

That's why I say it's nice to see that Netflix expects their business to increasingly move in this direction. From what I've seen in the last six months, they've significantly stepped up the pace at which they're adding new content for online viewing. I expect it may grow even more quickly now.

Do I think this is the future of video? Not really, but a move in the right direction. I feel DVDs will be a thing of the past in 5 years. It will be the Movie Theater, streaming download, or stored rental download.

Once higher bandwidth rates are more widespread, I expect streaming to dominate. With sufficient bandwidth there's little reason to download and store a movie rental on a local hard drive.

I personally do not want to see Logitech making a box like this. I want to see Logitech make a 1080P output Video Network Media Player. Would I like all my DVDs on my SqueezeCenter NAS to be watched through a HiDef Video Duet, you can bet the farm I do! I have over 1000 DVDs in alphabetical order in my media room and would love to rip them to HD just like my CDs so I never have to touch physical media again. I have not found a Video Network Media Player that will do Blu-Ray DVDs at a price I am willing to pay with 1080P output. The other issue is preserving the 2.35:1 playback of ripped video.

So Logitech, here is an untapped market to move into that you already have a customer base for the product.

Eh. No thanks. I have very little desire to own video content, so equally little desire (less, actually) to store DVD rips on a huge data server. It's extremely rare that I ever watch a particular movie twice in a 10 year period, so there's no reason to buy and store either a disc or a rip.

iPhone
2008-05-20, 19:41
Once higher bandwidth rates are more widespread, I expect streaming to dominate. With sufficient bandwidth there's little reason to download and store a movie rental on a local hard drive.

That is a very good point, Jim. I have been so caught up with the hard drives getting larger and the prices falling that I have not been thinking about the constant spread of Broadband and its ever increasing speed. My 3Mbps connection has grown to a 15Mbps connection without any increase in price to me. The uplink side has only gone from 256Kbps up to 2Mbps though (which is a bunch if one is only surfing or downloading).

Eh. No thanks. I have very little desire to own video content, so equally little desire (less, actually) to store DVD rips on a huge data server. It's extremely rare that I ever watch a particular movie twice in a 10-year period, so there's no reason to buy and store either a disc or a rip.

I can see your point again with your watching habits. I love a good movie and probably watch it 3 or 4 times the first year. Plus we have a killer Media Room that we watch several movies a week in. Almost every Friday night our friends bring the Pizza and dessert, we provide a double feature, drinks, and theater experience. Only IMAX beats an in-home 160-inch screen with 12 power reclining HT seating (of course thatís not true, but everyone says so after watching a few movies with us as well as not having to deal with a crowded movie theater).

ezkcdude
2008-05-23, 05:26
I'm a Netflix subscriber, and I'm extremely excited that devices like this are going to be coming out. I can't stand watching movies on my PC, which is the only reason I never use the "Watch Now" feature (also I hate IE, and that is the only browser that is supported AFAIK). It would be great if Logitech decided to get into the video streaming business.