PDA

View Full Version : How to install a plugin

park
2008-05-19, 16:39
Hello, I just purchased a Squeezebox Duet and am slowly climbing the learning curve. I downloaded the CustomBrowse plugin and can't seem to get it to work. I unzipped it into the /server/Plugins directory and all files are in /server/Plugins/CustomBrowse. I restarted Squeezecenter (7.0), but I can't find any changes or any way to enable CustomBrowse. The plugins menu shows a bunch of the default plugins, but nothing about CustomBrowse. The README file mentions a *.pm file, but there is no file with a .pm extension in the zip archive. I'm probably doing something stupid... what is it?

park
2008-05-20, 07:31
I hate to reply to my own post, but I'm not having any luck with plugins. So far I have installed the CustomBrowse and Biography plugins and... nothing. Checkbox options for them don't show up in the plugins page and there is no change in Squeezecenter. This is SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0 - 17793 on Windows Server 2003. Plugins should just drop into the /server/Plugins folder right?

andynormancx
2008-05-20, 08:23
I downloaded the CustomBrowse plugin and can't seem to get it to work. I unzipped it into the /server/Plugins directory and all files are in /server/Plugins/CustomBrowse. I restarted Squeezecenter (7.0), but I can't find any changes or any way to enable CustomBrowse. The plugins menu shows a bunch of the default plugins, but nothing about CustomBrowse. The README file mentions a *.pm file, but there is no file with a .pm extension in the zip archive. I'm probably doing something stupid... what is it?

The README file just mentions a *.pm file because it came from a template or copied from a plugin that does contain one or more .pm files. So ignore that.

When you say that "all files are in /server/Plugins/CustomBrowse" I hope you mean that they are all there in their directory structure as they were in the zip and not all the files in one folder ?

park
2008-05-20, 08:50
Yes, the directory structure was preserved under /Plugins. But I figured out the problem. I had been exiting and restarting Squeezecenter with no result. Finally I tried a complete system restart and that did the trick. I'm guessing that Squeezecenter doesn't totally shut down when you select Exit?

andynormancx
2008-05-20, 08:56
Ah, it doesn't do anything when you select "Exit". That just closes the System Tray status tool and leaves SqueezeCenter running.

What you want is "Stop SqueezeCenter" and then "Start SqueezeCenter".

On that subject, does anyone know of a plugin to restart SqueezeCenter, it feels kind of odd that you can't restart SC from within SC.

tcutting
2008-05-20, 08:58
Another issue maybe with the plugin cache file.
It's called something like "plugin-data.yaml"
I believe in the settings, there is a path displayed for the cache. Go to this location, and delete the ".yaml" file, and then restart squeezecenter.

park
2008-05-20, 09:53
Ah, it doesn't do anything when you select "Exit". That just closes the System Tray status tool and leaves SqueezeCenter running.

What you want is "Stop SqueezeCenter" and then "Start SqueezeCenter".

On that subject, does anyone know of a plugin to restart SqueezeCenter, it feels kind of odd that you can't restart SC from within SC.

OK, I see. Seems a bit counter-intuitive though. To me "Exit" means completely shut down the program while Stop and Start mean suspend, but leave in memory. Oh well. Thanks for the tip.

aubuti
2008-05-20, 10:09
OK, I see. Seems a bit counter-intuitive though. To me "Exit" means completely shut down the program while Stop and Start mean suspend, but leave in memory. Oh well. Thanks for the tip.
Your intuition is correct, it's just that you are talking about different programs. The "Exit" in the tray tool applies just to the tray tool -- you don't really need it to run SC. Stopping and starting apply to SC, which is doing the serving. Also, I'm not sure, but I don't think it leaves it in memory, but does a complete reload. I think the stop/start terminology is used more because it loads as a service.

danco
2008-05-20, 11:28

Not as such. But you can execute any script via the Execute Script plugin, and I would guess that one could write a script to (shutdown and) restart SC.

As I don't use Windows I can't suggest what the script should be.

andynormancx
2008-05-20, 14:33
Not as such. But you can execute any script via the Execute Script plugin, and I would guess that one could write a script to (shutdown and) restart SC.

As I don't use Windows I can't suggest what the script should be.
Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

FaberOptimé
2008-05-23, 04:48
Another issue maybe with the plugin cache file.
It's called something like "plugin-data.yaml"
I believe in the settings, there is a path displayed for the cache. Go to this location, and delete the ".yaml" file, and then restart squeezecenter.

Sorry for being so dense, but could you assist in where this is in Settings?