PDA

View Full Version : Remote streaming

cwinson
2008-05-19, 12:06
Hi all - first post, so please be gentle.

Have taken the plunge and ordered a duet. Awaiting delivery, but have got a squeeze center and softsqueeze setup up and running.

Have been also trying to get remote streaming working via stream.mp3, but can't get any sound to come through. Other posts have suggested setting the secutity settings for the server, but I can't find them in squeeze center. Am I being stupid?

Reason I'm testing this is I'd like to use a Rivo Pico Wi-Fi as an additional player for the kitchen. Has anyone tried one of these? I've read that Blik Radiostation works fine, so hoping this is the case for the Pico.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Chris

cwinson
2008-05-19, 13:16
Found a solution:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=301978#post301978

Installed lame.exe and set the file type setting. Can now stream music to wmp.

Next problem - I can play music files, but can't control them with any certainty from the web interface (and presumable from the duet controller when it arrives). Looks like the mp3 stream is getting heavily buffered at the client side, so if I skip tracks, it's too late as it's already been sent and queued

Chris

pski
2008-05-20, 18:01
Found a solution:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=301978#post301978

Installed lame.exe and set the file type setting. Can now stream music to wmp.

Next problem - I can play music files, but can't control them with any certainty from the web interface (and presumable from the duet controller when it arrives). Looks like the mp3 stream is getting heavily buffered at the client side, so if I skip tracks, it's too late as it's already been sent and queued

Chris

Hi Chris,

The Duet won't be streaming the same way. Everything will be going down as FLAC. The response of the controller is (in my experience) sub-second and the buffer in the receiver will only be apparent if you stop SC abnormally.. players will continue for several seconds.

Skipping will be as responsive.

I had experimented with streaming to Winamp remotely and the problems you talk about were very apparent.. different setup with Slim hardware...

andynormancx
2008-05-21, 03:03
The Duet won't be streaming the same way. Everything will be going down as FLAC. The response of the controller is (in my experience) sub-second and the buffer in the receiver will only be apparent if you stop SC abnormally.. players will continue for several seconds.

Skipping will be as responsive.

No it won't.

Above, he said:

Reason I'm testing this is I'd like to use a Rivo Pico Wi-Fi as an additional player for the kitchen. Has anyone tried one of these? I've read that Blik Radiostation works fine, so hoping this is the case for the Pico.

So the streaming to the Rivo Pico will be exactly the same when he gets his Duet as it is now being controlled from the web interface.

cwinson
2008-05-23, 12:50
Thanks for the replies guys.

Have done a bit more research on the buffering and it seems that windows media player is particularly bad (if that's the right term) at buffering the mp3 stream. It effectively downloads as much as is can, which means you changing the stream (skipping songs for example) takes a long time to respons (minutes).

Tried using winamp as a player and it doen't download quite as aggressively. Appears to only download/buffer 5 seconds ahead of the current position, so commands only take 5 seconds to take effect, which is manageable.

Question is I guess whether the Pico downloads agressively like windows media player or behaves like winamp. Ideally, it would be configurable.

st2000
2008-05-23, 16:59
cwinson wrote:
> Thanks for the replies guys.
>
> Have done a bit more research on the buffering and it seems that
> windows media player is particularly bad (if that's the right term) at
> buffering the mp3 stream. It effectively downloads as much as is can,
> which means you changing the stream (skipping songs for example) takes
> a long time to respons (minutes).
>
> Tried using winamp as a player and it doen't download quite as
> aggressively. Appears to only download/buffer 5 seconds ahead of the
> current position, so commands only take 5 seconds to take effect, which
> is manageable.
>
> Question is I guess whether the Pico downloads agressively like windows
> media player or behaves like winamp. Ideally, it would be configurable.

I'm not sure about the current generation, but past squeezeboxes had
their local buffers watched and controlled by the server. That's how
slimdevices got the responsiveness they wanted. i.e. When skipping to
the next cut from the middle of the current cut, the server just flushed
the local buffer (poof) and you never hear those 4 to 5 seconds of music
that you do with winamp.

If you don't interface with the SqueezeCenter / Slimserver in this
native manner, you will not be able to avoid playing out the local
buffer. And you really don't want to skimp on the buffer either. Think
of the bursty nature of your network.

So, unless Pico interfaces natively (i.e. uses the Slimdevice's
protocol) you will have some lag time. But really, how often do you
skip around your music collection? - well, after the novelty has worn off.

mskvarenina
2008-05-29, 07:21
Can we start over? I've got a squeezecenter with a bunch of tunes loaded into it in AAC format. How can I stream these to my office? I can't seem to find a wiki or documentation on how to set it up.

bpa
2008-05-29, 07:28
To remote stream to a streaming mediaplayer see
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/RemoteStreaming

Alternatively use Softsqueeze.

bobkoure
2008-05-29, 07:59
First try installing/using SoftSqueeze on a PC/Mac at home. The easiest way is from your SC web interface - go to extras/softsqueeze.
Once you have that working, try going to settings/players/audio and set the bit rate to, say, 128 (128 bit MP3s are IMHO fine on computer speakers).
Still work OK?
If not, you need to install LAME
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/LAMEForTranscoding
OK now?
If not, go to settings/advanced/filetypes and be sure AAC/MP3 is on.
OK now? Good - you have local streaming to a PC/Mac working.

Now you have to get this to work remotely.
If you have an IPSEC connection (site to site), it will just work.
If you have a VPN connection, from the PC you want to play on to your home firewall, it will just work.

If you don't have either of these, you need to do some things to your firewall. The exact how-to depends on the firewall, but in general you should
- password protect SqueezeCenter
- set your firewall to redirect inbound requests to port 9000 to your SC server (often called 'NAT' or 'port-forwarding')
You'll know you have this working as you'll be able to see the SC web control on [your-IP]:9000
Don't know what your IP is? It's probably "dynamic" (meaning your ISP will change it from time to time) - try http://whatsmyip.org/ for now, and have a look at http://www.dyndns.com/ for a more permanent (free) solution.

Once you have ipsec/vpn/nat working
- install SoftSqueeze on your work PC
- using the web interface, go to settings/players/audio and set proxy to on

That's probably it; I may have missed something as I'm just going from memory - and I have admin control of all the firewalls I connect through so I just use IPSEC..

Anyone care to jump in and point out something I missed/forgot?
Bob

Mnyb
2008-05-29, 08:41
Hi just a thought, if you log on to internet via your router.
You have to port-forward in the router AND open the firewall in the server PC
I have 9000 TCP/UDP and 3483 TCP/UDP open.
But if can use your SB the firewall is probably open that leaves the port-forwarding.

There are other combinations possible i think, depending on your network.

btw
dyndns.org works really well with an WRT54GL router with tomato firmware

bobkoure
2008-05-29, 09:41
Oh, right - 3483. I'm not sure this is necessary if you set proxying on. Anyone know?

captain_tinker
2008-07-23, 16:05
I am able to get to the squeezecenter web page external to my network, after having opened the 9000 port on my router and directing it at my SC machine. I am even able to admin it remotely, but I have never been able to stream external to my network. It works fine inside my network, by softsqueeze, by Winamp, etc, but getting it to go outside the router it just doesn't work. I cannot connect, and I never get the drop down in the web page to show another player. The closest I have come is putting the url with the stream.mp3 at the end into a web browser, as if I were going to download the mp3 itself, and it did put the drop down in the list, with the name of the browser, and an IP address, but obviously it was not streaming anything, as the browser just thought it was trying to download a file. But I cannot get Winamp to stream it, or anything else. Not even softsqueeze will pick it up, it will just sit there and look at me, trying to connect.

I looked for this settings/players/audio/proxy that was mentioned in a previous post, but could not find anything other than setting up a proxy for the server to attach to under Squeezecenter settings/network/proxy. I am assuming for the other to work properly, you probably have to actually be able to connect with a remote streaming app first.

-capT

haunyack
2008-07-23, 19:54

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Chris

Look into http://www.privoxy.org/

I use it to stream to an Onkyo unit in my basement from the Squeezecenter interface.
The Squeezecenter .mp3 stream is configured as an iRadio url.
It's also very useful as a filter (formerly "Junkbuster" ) for regular http browsing.

Cheers!