PDA

View Full Version : Wrote my own beginner's guide...

tfish77
2008-05-18, 17:05
Hi, everyone. A friend of mine recently bought a Squeezebox, and was asking me all about my setup. I've had mine for a couple years now and over the years I've customized my setup quite a bit, and learned a lot along the way. He told me I should write up my way of doing things, so I did. I wrote a (pretty lengthy) blog post that I think will be helpful to beginners and even to advanced users, as well. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Enjoy!

Wired For Music: Squeezing The Most Out of Your Squeezebox (http://wiredformusic.blogspot.com/2008/05/squeezing-most-out-of-your-squeezebox.html)

Nonreality
2008-05-18, 22:27
I really liked it and you got me looking into musicip again. Thanks

tfish77
2008-05-19, 07:15
Glad to hear you liked it. Thanks for the feedback.

mrfantasy
2008-05-19, 07:41
Nice article! I only have a few nitpicky, minor corrections:

If you have FLAC, you won't necessarily have choppy audio in Softsqueeze if you don't do bitrate limiting. You won't if you're using Softsqueeze on your home network, or if you're using it remotely and you have over 1Mbps of upload bandwidth.

If you download SoftSqueeze from within SqueezeCenter you'll get 3.6, and the version on SourceForge is 3.5.

pichonCalavera
2008-05-20, 00:14
Great guide, I could've used something like this when I was starting discovering all the features of Squeezecenter / Squeezebox and its plugins.

I think this is one of the great things of Squeezecenter / Squeezebox, if someone is inclined to... you can discover and do a lot of stuff, for example I just recently installed IRBlaster, and now I can control basic functions of my amp from within Squeezecenter, before that, I installed Inguz Plugin, next up... installing MusicIP again (I had it installed and running, but failed one day).

Nonreality
2008-05-20, 16:59
I'm glad to say that I finally have got Musicip to work headless. Thanks to tfish's guide and a great page on installing it on spicefly.com I got it all to work first time! Thanks for the nudge tfish.

RichNY
2008-05-22, 05:42
Very helpful. Had previously looked at Media Monkey but passed - with your suggestion relooked and it is very powerful.
My only problem with it seems to be that although I went through a large number of albums to do the web retagging including the cover art - a number of the albums arent showing my cover art in slimserver.
Any idea why?

tfish77
2008-05-22, 18:51
Very helpful. Had previously looked at Media Monkey but passed - with your suggestion relooked and it is very powerful.
My only problem with it seems to be that although I went through a large number of albums to do the web retagging including the cover art - a number of the albums arent showing my cover art in slimserver.
Any idea why?

RichNY, by default (I think) MediaMonkey will write the album art to a tag inside the actual music file. Slimserver doesn't read those tags, however - it will only recognize a file in the same folder as the music called either "cover.jpg" or "folder.jpg" (by default - you can tell it to look for other filenames). That could be your problem.

Nonreality
2008-05-22, 21:36

Any idea why?

I've noticed that sometimes album art in .ogg (and other format)files will show in Mediamonkey but not in SC. What I've started doing is setting Mediamonkey to add the art to the files and also extract the art to the albums folder. That way you have doubled your chances of album art working in various programs. There is a setting in options for this and make sure you save only to id3.2 only unless you need 3.1 for some device or program. Sometimes Squeeze Center gets confused if you have both tags.

maggior
2008-05-26, 10:41
Hi, everyone. A friend of mine recently bought a Squeezebox, and was asking me all about my setup. I've had mine for a couple years now and over the years I've customized my setup quite a bit, and learned a lot along the way. He told me I should write up my way of doing things, so I did. I wrote a (pretty lengthy) blog post that I think will be helpful to beginners and even to advanced users, as well. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Enjoy!

Wired For Music: Squeezing The Most Out of Your Squeezebox (http://wiredformusic.blogspot.com/2008/05/squeezing-most-out-of-your-squeezebox.html)

I read over your write-up and I think it will be quite beneficial for the beginner and advanced user. I consider myself an advanced user and benefited. I had heard of MusicIP, but always thought it was some sort of generic music streamer (i.e. Music over IP (as in Internet Protocol)). After reading your blog, I discovered it was something completely different.

Having some extra time this holiday weekend, I decided to check it out. I was a bit confused by the gui vs. headless configurations, but once I got over that, it was a piece of cake to get the server running and have SqueezeCenter talking to it.

I'm actually sitting on my deck right now enjoying a mix based on Evenflow by Pearl Jam. It's really interesting how it brings tracks from totally different genres that manage to fit together. The Sugarcubes and Miles Davis have tracks in it. And now some Iron Maiden :-). I've been using it to generate playlists to use on my iPod too!!

Thanks for the tip!! My music library has some new excitement to it!

Audiogalore
2009-06-19, 10:35
Hi I am one of those newbie. I presently have SB3 and been using ITunes as my media player. Last night I decided to download MediaMonkey to used as my media audio player. The question I have hopefully will be simple. MediaMonkey to my understanding does not have muaic database that Squeeze center would recognize, so how would I create a folder from MediaMonkey music file to be sent to my PC > to squeeze center.
Thank you for your support and advise on this issue.

tcutting
2009-06-19, 10:46
If I understand what you're trying to do, I think maybe you have it backwards. The music files should be located where Squeezecenter would expect to find them (they then get picked up when you re-scan from squeezecenter). You would then "point" media monkey to the same location to access the files from there.

Audiogalore
2009-06-19, 11:34
tcutting thank you for your knowledge and input. I am still confuse, when I open my squeeze center in "basic setting"> music folder browser and selct a folder I do find MediaMonkey in c: under "my music" where I have it stored, however MediaMonkey file in squeeze center has 6 sub folder as follow: equalizer, license, locale, plugin, scripts and skins but no mediamonkey music library file to scan!
I hope I have conveyed information needed for further advise
Thank you for your support and hope to hear from you on added feedback.

aubuti
2009-06-19, 12:11
What is in your music library? I presume it is files (MP3, FLAC, AAC, etc.) that you either ripped from the CDs, or downloaded from some online source. When you ripped the CDs or downloaded the music files you must have saved them somewhere on your hard disk, the question is: where? They are very unlikely to be in the MediaMonkey folder because presumably you had the music files long before you downloaded MediaMonkey last night.

Once you have identified where your music files are, then that is where you should point SqueezeCenter. You should be able to find them by doing a search with Windows Explorer, or looking at your settings pages in iTunes or MediaMonkey.

Audiogalore
2009-06-19, 12:52
Okay aubuti I think I comprehend, Steps to take:

1)I will un check ITUNES in the Squeeze center so good bye AIFF hello FLAC.

2)Transfer my existing music library plus future audio to come into the music folder of the basic setting in Squeeze center.

3) When I now use MediaMonkey to rip future cd's or buy off the internet MediaMonkey will become my default media player.

Hopefully I have this right and please provide additional feedback. Thank you for your support.

aubuti
2009-06-19, 13:51
1) Yes
2) okay, but not really necessary to transfer the files. *You* specify the music folder location in SC, so you can just leave the files where they are now, and use the basic setting in SC to tell SC where to find them.
3) What the default media player on your PC is is completely irrelevant to SC. The important thing is to setup MediaMonkey so that it your rips and downloads are all stored in the same folder hierarchy that you specify in #2.

I recommend reading the Beginner's Guide in the wiki (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/BeginnersGuide).

OutdoorXplorer
2009-06-19, 16:21
Very well written and easy to understand. It will be good if someone can explain the detailed settings in SqueezeCenter.

Audiogalore
2009-06-19, 17:42
aubuti, thank you again for your patience's, I like your reinforcement on the explanation and being able to understand my questions. I have gathered all my music data and complied it into one library and rightfully said the Squeeze center only mimic what information it receives.
However on the note of the Media player I have two the existing ITunes and just acquired MediaMonkey. Is there any reason now to keep Itunes or do you recommend uninstalling I am a audiophile type of listener that enjoy my analog, traditional red-book digital and now next generation digital music server.

prob
2009-06-19, 19:40
The wiki is the best place for all this hard work.

aubuti
2009-06-19, 21:10
aubuti, thank you again for your patience's, I like your reinforcement on the explanation and being able to understand my questions. I have gathered all my music data and complied it into one library and rightfully said the Squeeze center only mimic what information it receives.
However on the note of the Media player I have two the existing ITunes and just acquired MediaMonkey. Is there any reason now to keep Itunes or do you recommend uninstalling I am a audiophile type of listener that enjoy my analog, traditional red-book digital and now next generation digital music server. As time goes on I am finding myself not just enjoying the convince of the server music. the music is also great.
No problem, we were all beginners once. If you're an audiophile then a clear limitation of iTunes is that it doesn't support FLAC. Are your tracks in Apple Lossless, or some other codec? Personally I see no problem with having multiple media players on my computer, I often like to experiment with different software. For example, at present I have foobar2000, Songbird, and MusicIP as players on my laptop (though MusicIP's mixing function makes it very different from most media players). I don't know much about MediaMonkey. If iTunes has outlived its usefulness to you, then uninstall it. That's what I finally did a few months ago.

fsong1169
2009-06-24, 16:23
Thanks for the guide. Does not have time to dig in details but tagged for future reference.

tfish77
2009-06-25, 08:31
Just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone for your kind words about my beginner's guide. I really appreciate it. I also appreciate all the help I've gotten from these forums over the years and am happy to have been able to give a little something back.

Dustysox
2009-06-28, 06:06
Hi,

I still need further "idiots guide" to MusicIP.

I have a AVA RS3 which has all music ripped to it and running Squeezecenter quite happily. What I don't understand is MusicIP for playlists.

DO I install MusicIP on NAS? How do I configure in very simple terms so as I can create playlists and using controller play em till my hearts content!!

Dustysox
2009-06-28, 07:20
Ok, this is where I'm at!!!

Within preferences of Musicip/services I can start and show services. This opens browser and http://localhost:100002/ active services API. TiVo & UPnP. I've set watch folders and pointed it my NAS. I can see my songs within musicip.

This is where i get lost now?

You say, leave music folder blank within Squeezecenter basic setting? If I clear & rescan is this correct. Would this mean within Musicip, i can create playlists etc and they show on Duet controller.

Pleeeease help, I'm giddy after going round in circles!!

m0gwai
2009-07-01, 04:57
Hey great guide! I really enjoyed reading it and it made me want to look into the musicip plugin.

I followed your guide setp by step, downloaded musicip, scanned my library (took like 2 days) and then installed the headless server and enabled plugin in squeezecenter, but now what confuses me is what else am I suppose to do, I have a squeezebox duet and I should see a small "m" somewhere but can't see anything, I restarted musicip and squeezcenter several time (always in the order you mention), I checked and musicip is indeed running and I restarted the remote also a few time, but nothing should I do something on the remote to enable, does it work with the duet, where should I see this"m", maybe I missed a step?

Any help would be appreciated especially after scanning my library for 2 days :)

Thx

tfish77
2009-07-01, 12:39
Ok, this is where I'm at!!!

You say, leave music folder blank within Squeezecenter basic setting? If I clear & rescan is this correct. Would this mean within Musicip, i can create playlists etc and they show on Duet controller.

Dustysox, to answer your first question, you cannot run MusicIP on the NAS (at least not on Infrant's ReadyNAS NV, but possibly on the higher-end models). So if you're running it on your server, then actually the instructions from my blog post are a little bit out of date - at this point I would say put in the path to your music folder, and use the "just read mixable status" setting for MusicIP inside the Squeezecenter settings - the settings page says that's a faster option than actually reading full track data from MusicIP.

I'm not entirely sure if you can send MusicIP playlists directly to Squeezecenter - I believe you have to initiate the playlist creation from Squeezecenter by clicking on the "M" icon for a mixable track.

Hope that helps.

tfish77
2009-07-01, 12:41
...I have a squeezebox duet and I should see a small "m" somewhere but can't see anything, I restarted musicip and squeezcenter several time (always in the order you mention), I checked and musicip is indeed running and I restarted the remote also a few time, but nothing...

m0gwai, are you sure you set Squeezecenter to read from MusicIP? In the new version of Squeezecenter, you can enter the path to your music library and then tell it just to read mixable status from MusicIP - have you tried that? The Squeezecenter settings page says that's the fastest way to set it up. It's what I'm using and it's working well for me. How do you have Squeezecenter set up to work with MusicIP (i.e. what settings did you choose)?

m0gwai
2009-07-01, 13:29
m0gwai, are you sure you set Squeezecenter to read from MusicIP? In the new version of Squeezecenter, you can enter the path to your music library and then tell it just to read mixable status from MusicIP - have you tried that? The Squeezecenter settings page says that's the fastest way to set it up. It's what I'm using and it's working well for me. How do you have Squeezecenter set up to work with MusicIP (i.e. what settings did you choose)?

Well I didn't changed the path of my music, I mean my mp3 are still at the same place. the musicip is definitively running and in the option you mention, I guess under plugins/musicip/settings I have only read mixable status from musicip and they indeed say it's faster... but i mean I should probably enable something on the remote no? all of that is the server side but what should I do on the remote, or should this *m* popup after a reboot, where should it be, when i play a track I should see it, like next to the album cover or is it an option in play menu? I'm confused :P

Thx for your help and again for your great guide

tfish77
2009-07-02, 08:33
Well I didn't changed the path of my music, I mean my mp3 are still at the same place. the musicip is definitively running and in the option you mention, I guess under plugins/musicip/settings I have only read mixable status from musicip and they indeed say it's faster... but i mean I should probably enable something on the remote no? all of that is the server side but what should I do on the remote, or should this *m* popup after a reboot, where should it be, when i play a track I should see it, like next to the album cover or is it an option in play menu? I'm confused :P

Thx for your help and again for your great guide

You're very welcome! I hope I can actually help you solve this problem. Yes, plugins/musicip/settings is the right place to set that. After a Squeezecenter rescan (should be able to do just "new & changed" but you might want to try a "clean and start fresh" rescan, you should start seeing the little "m" icon in the web interface and/or on the squeezebox itself.

I don't have the fancy remote (the Controller, right?) so I don't know where the "m" would show up on that, but I imagine it would be next to any mixable track...does anyone else out there have a Controller that could speak to this?

Are you able to see the "m" in the web interface? It would be next to an album, or next to a song, like in the attached screenshot (it's there on the right, next to the "+" sign).

If you're not seeing this at all in the web interface, I would try this:

1) Shut down Squeezecenter and MusicIP (the service).
2) Start MusicIP service.
3) Verify that you can reach http://localhost:10002 (or whatever port you're using for the MusicIP service) and that it lists a number greater than 0 for "mixable tracks."
3) Start Squeezecenter.
4) Go into the SC settings, double-check that you have checked the box for "MusicIP" under the Plugins tab (simple, but never hurts to check the basics!).
5) Double-check the port number in the MusicIP settings (Plugins -> MusicIP -> Settings) to make sure it's the same port you used to reach MusicIP via the browser.
6) Double-check that you have "only read mixable status" selected (you already said that you do, but just in case...)
7) Check to see if you have the "m" at this point. If not, I would do a clear & rescan in SC.

If after all that you are still not seeing the "m" icon, I'm not sure what to do...again, I only see it on the Squeezebox itself and in the web interface, never played with the remote so I don't know where it would appear there. But checking the web interface is a good sanity check here.

In the web interface for MusicIP (again, that's usually http://localhost:10002) you may need to click the "reload cache" button if it shows up on the screen - it could be that the desktop MusicIP app did the library scan, but the server has not reloaded the cache file and so doesn't know your files are mixable. If that is the case, I would do an SC re-scan after you reload the MusicIP cache.

I hope this helps - it took me a while to get MusicIP and SC working together nicely, but those are the basic steps I took. Good luck!

Dustysox
2009-07-04, 06:12
Hi,

Me again. I have attached pics in the hope that someone can help me get this working!!

My marriage is at stake!!

CAn you see if anything is wrong?

Dustysox
2009-07-04, 06:13
Last one...hopefully!!

Any thoughts?

tfish77
2009-07-05, 18:29
Dustysox,

What do you see when you go to http://localhost:10002/server ?

In SqueezeCenter, I would change the MusicIP settings to only read mixable status from MusicIP instead of importing all song data.

Are you seeing the mixable icon in SqueezeCenter next to any songs or albums?

Dustysox
2009-07-06, 13:10
Dustysox,

What do you see when you go to http://localhost:10002/server ?

It fails to connect

In SqueezeCenter, I would change the MusicIP settings to only read mixable status from MusicIP instead of importing all song data.

Changed

Are you seeing the mixable icon in SqueezeCenter next to any songs or albums?

No.

ripping my hair here.

All i wanted to do was create playlists in squeezecenter like i used to do in itunes.

Ho hum.

tfish77
2009-07-07, 14:39
All i wanted to do was create playlists in squeezecenter like i used to do in itunes.

Dustysox, I'm sorry this has been so much trouble for you. If all you want to do is make regular playlists, then you don't need MusicIP at all - MusicIP is just for creating automated mixes using its built-in recommendation engine. You could just disable it completely, set up Squeezecenter to use your iTunes library as its music source, and have it read your iTunes playlists. I don't use iTunes, but there are plenty of forum threads and articles about how to do that.

If you want to use the music recommendation features of MusicIP, then you might want to try following the instructions in this article: http://www.musicip.com/mixer/server.jsp to see if you have better luck.

Sorry I wasn't able to solve your problem. Good luck!

Dustysox
2009-07-08, 21:54
Dustysox, I'm sorry this has been so much trouble for you. If all you want to do is make regular playlists, then you don't need MusicIP at all - MusicIP is just for creating automated mixes using its built-in recommendation engine. You could just disable it completely, set up Squeezecenter to use your iTunes library as its music source, and have it read your iTunes playlists. I don't use iTunes, but there are plenty of forum threads and articles about how to do that.

If you want to use the music recommendation features of MusicIP, then you might want to try following the instructions in this article: http://www.musicip.com/mixer/server.jsp to see if you have better luck.

Sorry I wasn't able to solve your problem. Good luck!

Hi,

Thank you for your help. I do want to use musicip, as I love the idea of creating automatic mix playlists. Using it on the PC it works really well. My "limited" understanding is that my NAS has ripped cd's as FLAC files, and duplicate MP3 versions as well. Thus being able to import them in to itunes. Would the problem not be that itunes can not use FLAC, and therefore i would end up using compressed MP3 losing all my hard work of ripping soooooo many CD's in FLAC.

Any more ideas folks?

I'm not going to give up, it's not going to beat me!!!

code.001
2009-07-09, 01:35
it is very useful