PDA

View Full Version : Receiver not finding server anymore

BrockStone
2008-05-18, 14:12
Hi there, my SBR is not finding my SqueezeCenter anymore.

Nothing has changed with my network that I know of. I've reconfirmed this several times. When I use the perl tools to discover the settings on the SBR it invariably has a squeezecenter_address of 192.168.1.1 which is my router, not my Squeezecenter which is at 192.168.1.103. SqueezeCenter status on the PC shows it thinks it is at 192.168.1.103 properly. The SBR light is blue and it can connect to SqueezeNetwork fine and play internet radio, I just can't connect it to the PC (no firewall on the PC, entirely an internal LAN).

What tells the SBR where the server lives and why would it be telling it wrong?

Still playing around, but this is very frustrating and maybe someone else has seen the same problem before?

Thanks

BrockStone
2008-05-19, 20:19
Anyone?

Can still connect only to squeezenetwork. The receiver seems to be confused as to where my squeezecenter resides on the local network :/

Used to work, just stopped one day.

BrockStone
2008-05-21, 20:22
Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

It still won't find my squeezecenter.

I tried using the perl tools to log in, set the address to the proper address, save_data, reboot, and when it comes back it still has the wrong address (my router).

Getting very frustrated.

iPhone
2008-05-21, 20:40
Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

It still won't find my squeezecenter.

I tried using the perl tools to log in, set the address to the proper address, save_data, reboot, and when it comes back it still has the wrong address (my router).

Getting very frustrated.

Have you E-mailed Tech Support or called them? This is the Users Forum, not Tech Support. Could somebody have the answer for you here, they could. But Tech Support is where the answer is for sure and probably in a more timely manner.

For possible help here, the Forum is going to need more information. What OS is the server running. What version of SC? What firmware is on the Controller and Receiver running? What does your network look like?

BrockStone
2008-05-21, 21:52
Ah I figured lots of experienced people here may know the answer, hence why I asked here. The odd part is it was working for a while, then stopped.

OS is Windows XP
Network config is a standard internal LAN with a router to the outside world, nothing special other than a WDS router in the mix but that was there before. I described the specifics in the first post, not sure what you want other than that...?
Latest auto-pushed firmwares and latest public SC downloadable from the site (not a nightly build or anything)

Anyways, my main question wasn't "please help me solve it", it was where does the SBR get the IP for the SC from? It must get it from somewhere. Autodiscovery? From SqueezeNetwork? Where-ever it's being sent from or fetched from it's wrong and that's what I'd like to find out. In my experiences tech supports are relatively poor at helping with specific questions like that.

Cheers

pfarrell
2008-05-21, 22:03
BrockStone wrote:
> Anyways, my main question wasn't "please help me solve it", it was
> where does the SBR get the IP for the SC from? It must get it from
> somewhere. Autodiscovery?

I don't know the technical details. I do know that my Receiver was not
working when my WiFi network went bonkers. I have a mostly wired
network, internal NAT, 172.16/16 address. Worked great until my Wireless
Access Point died. So I got a new Linksys WRT54GL and tried to set it
up. I had problems from the start. Long story short, the WRT worked fine
as a WAP for my laptops, but not my Controller nor my Receiver.

The initial setup had the WAP assign a 192.168.1.0/24 address, with
routing to my 172.16 network. Neither the Controller nor the Receiver
could find my SqueezeCenter, which had a fixed 172.16.4.10 address.

It took a while before I figured out how to get DD-WRT to work as a pure
WAP, so both the wired and WiFi side lived in the 172.16 space. Once
that was working, life was good.

I turned on the Controller, it got a DHCP address, found the
SqueezeCenter, did an update to the software and worked.

I plugged in my Receiver, it got a DHCP address, found the SqueezeCenter
and started playing tunes.

It probably was a network problem, probably that my 172.16.4.1 was not
spraying messages out to the SqueezeCenter. But I'm not a serious IP
networking guru.

So check your network, make sure its all routing properly.

And the support folks at SlimDevices are far better than the average bear.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

BrockStone
2008-05-22, 07:50
OK I'll give them a try.

The odd thing is my SBC sees the SC, it's just the SBR that does not.

I've gone over the network with a fine tooth comb, everything is as it should be. The SBR is just plain out getting the wrong IP for the squeezecenter server. I just need to find out how/where it gets that from and I can diagnose this further.

Thanks for the reply :)

slydog75
2008-05-23, 06:54
I'm having a very similar issue, let me know if you find a solution. Are you running more than one router/switch? I have a main router then a secondary router that my server is plugged into (set up as a switch only). I think this may be where the problem is. I really wish the software had an option to manually enter the IPs of all the devices.

ds2021
2008-05-23, 07:08
I've gone over the network with a fine tooth comb, everything is as it should be. The SBR is just plain out getting the wrong IP for the squeezecenter server.

I believe the SBR gets its IP address from your router and not from SqueezeCenter. It should have its own IP address and not that of SC or the router.

This seems to be a networking problem. Try forgetting your network on the SBR, rebooting, and reconfiguring the network settings. If that does not work, try a factory reset and reconfiguration. You should also be in touch with Logitech technical support.

BrockStone
2008-05-24, 09:10
You are misunderstanding.

The SBR has it's IP just fine (as outlined in my original post). The problem is the IP that it THINKS the SC is at is mistaken. The SC has a valid IP, but the SBR is told that the SC resides at the router, not at the PC that it is actually on.

I've done numerous factory resets, reboots, logging into the SBR using the perl tools to manually set the SC IP, nothing.

I believe the SBR gets its IP address from your router and not from SqueezeCenter. It should have its own IP address and not that of SC or the router.

This seems to be a networking problem. Try forgetting your network on the SBR, rebooting, and reconfiguring the network settings. If that does not work, try a factory reset and reconfiguration. You should also be in touch with Logitech technical support.

BrockStone
2008-06-04, 21:19
Still no solution for this, it's driving me mad. Was working for a good while, then just stopped. Network has been gone over with a fine tooth comb...nothing wrong that I can see.

The problem is still that the receiver itself is getting 192.168.1.1 as it's internal address for my SqueezeCenter, when that is the router. My SqueezeCenter is at 192.168.1.103, which SqueezeCenter acknowledges in it's status page.

I'd really like to pick up a few more receivers but until I can resolve this it's just not worth it :/ Only having internet radio just can't justify it.

Skunk
2008-06-04, 21:39
The problem is still that the receiver itself is getting 192.168.1.1 as it's internal address for my SqueezeCenter, when that is the router. My SqueezeCenter is at 192.168.1.103, which SqueezeCenter acknowledges in it's status page.

Maybe you could try going to Settings>Music Source on the Controller and choose 'other server', specifying the server IP. I usually name the pc something, which might not hurt.

You could also try reserving static IP addresses for the controller/receiver/server that are outside the DHCP range.

BrockStone
2008-06-04, 21:43
Ya, PC is named, the SBC controller finds it fine and has the proper IP for it...just the SBR does not. I've tried "other server" and putting in the IP manually but when I enter the IP then hit ok it just does the little "jiggle" and won't let me proceed.

About the throw it out the window :)

Well not really, but this is really frustrating.

iPhone
2008-06-04, 21:46
Still no solution for this, it's driving me mad. Was working for a good while, then just stopped. Network has been gone over with a fine tooth comb...nothing wrong that I can see.

I'd really like to pick up a few more receivers but until I can resolve this it's just not worth it :/ Only having internet radio just can't justify it.

Now that I think about it, this happened once a long time ago to me. Could not get to SS and it was because they was a network reset and the addresses flip flopped on the restart. There is a tread some place about this IP type problem. I can never find anything by searching so I can not help you there. I had to clear out the IP addresses in the parts involved. Did a full factory reset on my router and cable modem then started the stuff up one at a time with a couple minutes between each unit. When the DHCP was handed out, all was fine after that.

I know you have said that all the parts have their IP address just fine, but in my mind that is the problem. They all have IP addresses but they are not talking to each other so to me that means that they all need to lose their address and start over with an assigned DHCP from the router.

Note: this was before my Duet so I can not say for certain that this will fix your receiver problem. But the thought here is that this is a Network issue more then an issue of the Receiver. Yes the Receiver can not find SC, but again that is most likely due to a Network issue.

BrockStone
2008-06-04, 22:30
Progress report. Just factory reset the SBC. When it rebooted it then said there was an update available. I updated it...it auto turned off, then on, and voila, was connected to the SqueezeCenter on my PC automagically! Happiness is here.

Then I realized the NAS wasn't on, so had to get SqueezeCenter to rescan my archive...it did so, SBC still didnt see the updated tracks so I turned the SBC off, back on....and the original problem is back now. SBC is connected, can see the SC machine name in servers, but the SBR can't find my PC when that server is selected. It can find squeezenetwork fine for internet radio, etc.

I give up for tonight. All this is doing now is making me cranky :)

pfarrell
2008-06-04, 22:50
BrockStone wrote:
> Progress report. Just factory reset the SBC. When it rebooted it then
> said there was an update available. I updated it...it auto turned off,
> then on, and voila, was connected to the SqueezeCenter on my PC
> automagically! Happiness is here.
>
> Then I realized the NAS wasn't on,

Well, I'd make sure all the servers are on, reboot your switches, and
try the factory reset again.

You clearly have some networking weird thing going.

As I posted way upthread, I had a similar problem when my subnets were
wacko. I had too many things handing out DHCP addresses, and it really
messed things up.

I ended up turning off DHCP in all the "networking" boxes, and
explicitly running DHCP on a linux server (which happened to be my music
server) so I could watch the logs and see what IP addresses were being
assigned.

I have found it useful to not use 192.168.1.0/24 for networking. I know,
everything in the world defaults to using that. Which I found to cause
confusion. Its way too easy to get two 'self administering' network
boxes, routers, wifi, etc. each claiming to be 192.168.1.1

So I set up everything to use 172.16.4.0/24 so that if I ever see a
192.168.1.* address, I know there is a problem.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

BrockStone
2008-06-05, 21:43
Hm, I may try that on the weekend (changing subnet numbers) but that will impact my WDS, etc...lot of work.

I can log into my DHCP server, watch all the ips being handed out, everyone is getting the right IP (including the SBR) and everyone thinks they have the right IP.

The SBR just doesn't know where the SC is.

And I find it puzzling that noone on this forum can tell me HOW the SBR is supposed to know what IP the SC is located at. If I knew where it was supposed to get it from, I could backtrace....

radish
2008-06-05, 22:21
And I find it puzzling that noone on this forum can tell me HOW the SBR is supposed to know what IP the SC is located at. If I knew where it was supposed to get it from, I could backtrace....

UDP broadcast from client - response is unicast back from server.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SLIMP3ClientProtocol#.27d.27_-_Discovery_request

BrockStone
2008-06-05, 22:46
Aha! Thanks.

I'll poke a bit tomorrow night.

When logging into the SBR it claims it gets my router as the server...so I have somewhere to look now.

Cheers

craigf
2008-06-07, 16:52
I can log into my DHCP server, watch all the ips being handed out, everyone is getting the right IP (including the SBR) and everyone thinks they have the right IP.

The SBR just doesn't know where the SC is.

I also developed this same problem sometime last week...am having a devil of a time figuring out what's going wrong:

The SBC sees the wireless network and gets an IP
The SBR sees the wired network and gets an IP
SC is running on a Mac Mini (Tiger) and is fine except it can't see any Players.
Going through setup on the SBC verifies that the Mini has SC running on it.
The SBR just can't get to the Mini (although both are on a wired network and the Mini has no firewall running whatsoever).

Sounds pretty familiar, right?

The only cause I can think of is a power outage we had last week, so I'm about to power cycle the router, switch, and SBR and restart the Mini and see if that helps at all.

YaHozna
2008-06-07, 18:08
Just installed SqueezeCenter v7.0.1 and firmware upgrade. Squeezebox then doesn't find SqueezeCenter. 2 hours of serious frustration and kicking the cat. Possible solution: clean uninstall and re-install.

Regards,

YaHozna.