PDA

View Full Version : Controller: Sorting albums (or lack thereof) NOTE BEFORE YOU BUY!

egd
2008-05-18, 00:09
I don't know about others who've shelled out for a Duet, but I'm amazed and frankly highly annoyed that SD/Logitech would think fit to release a Controller that doesn't support changing the sort order for browsing albums. To whit: the current implementation of the album browse on the Controller sorts your entire library by album name and doesn't offer any option to change that to something more sensible eg. Artist/Album.

Did I smoke too much weed in my youth or is it reasonable to assume that Artist/Album is how most of us would choose something to listen to? Sorting by album is IMHO definitely not a natural way to browse music, in fact I've yet to meet anyone who stores their physical music by album/artist. Browsing the Controller list at present is like a random crapshoot.

For me, being forced to browse a sizeable collection by album name is just unfathomable and a definite showstopper - the Controller would server me equally well in the trashcan.

If you share my sentiments re being able to browse your music linrary in some kind of logical order, PLEASE VOTE FOR THIS BUG (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6591) and add your comments - how this can be classified an enhancement rather than a Major bug is beyond me.

mherger
2008-05-18, 00:45
> Did I smoke too much weed in my youth or is it reasonable to assume
> that Artist/Album is how most of us would choose something to listen
> to?

That's why there is the Browse by Artist mode, isn't it? I fully agree with you: I use it all the time. No need to scroll through hundreds of albums.

--

Michael

Mnyb
2008-05-18, 00:54
why not browse by artist ? there they are sorted as artist/albums ?
Just as you want it ???? go there select an artist then you find that artists albums ?? or did i miss something essential.

On my controller there is a list like this

Music library >Artist
>Albums
>Genres

It sometimes makes sense to browse by album especially collections or classical

Edit: I did vote for the bug, if anyone gets happier;-) it is a nifty feature i tried it in SC now, it could be on the controller to. then of course all the other sort options should be included.

egd
2008-05-18, 02:06
That's why there is the Browse by Artist mode, isn't it? I fully agree with you: I use it all the time. No need to scroll through hundreds of albums.

why not browse by artist ? there they are sorted as artist/albums ?
Just as you want it ???? go there select an artist then you find that artists albums ?? or did i miss something essential. Thanks for voting!

Agreed, but as soon as you choose the Artist browse, you kiss your artwork goodbye until you choose an Artist. The way it works on SC whereby you can browse Albums, but sorted by Artist, is (to my way of thinking) a far more convenient way of doing things - I don't want to have to move in and out of particular Artists to see what Albums I have and/or choose one to listen to. I have a remote to scroll text lists, I bought the Controller because I wanted more than text lists...

pippin
2008-05-18, 03:35
Old discussion,

some people stumble over this when using SBC the first time ;-)
At some point some people will drop by and tell you that something in your mind is wrong because you have this stupid habit of browsing albums while it is so much more logic to use artists->albums->tracks...

egd
2008-05-18, 03:53
Old discussion,

some people stumble over this when using SBC the first time ;-)
At some point some people will drop by and tell you that something in your mind is wrong because you have this stupid habit of browsing albums while it is so much more logic to use artists->albums->tracks...

eh, if the functionality isn't changed I have no use whatsoever for the Controller. Seems a lot can be learned by having a look at what you've managed with iPeng.

pippin
2008-05-18, 04:09
I just noticed I forgot the original intent of my post. It was to provide this link...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=46687

aubuti
2008-05-18, 07:56
Thanks for voting!

Agreed, but as soon as you choose the Artist browse, you kiss your artwork goodbye until you choose an Artist. The way it works on SC whereby you can browse Albums, but sorted by Artist, is (to my way of thinking) a far more convenient way of doing things - I don't want to have to move in and out of particular Artists to see what Albums I have and/or choose one to listen to. I have a remote to scroll text lists, I bought the Controller because I wanted more than text lists...
As you have seen, there is a bug/enhancement already filed for this. In the meantime, you can easily get what you want by using the ALBUMSORT tag. For single artist albums, I populated this with <ARTISTSORT><YEAR> because that is how I am used to looking at my music ever since my LPs were arranged that way. For Various Artists I used <ALBUM><YEAR>. It takes just a couple minutes using something like mp3tag.

mikeselectricstuff
2008-05-18, 13:59
Agreed, but as soon as you choose the Artist browse, you kiss your artwork goodbye until you choose an Artist.
Who needs artwork when browsing? - having a larger number of artists/titles onscreen is a lot more efficient on any moderately large library....

pippin
2008-05-18, 14:25
Who needs artwork when browsing? - having a larger number of artists/titles onscreen is a lot more efficient on any moderately large library....

See what I mean?

egd
2008-05-18, 14:25

I do. If I wanted to browse a text list I have 5 SB3's and IR remotes to do that job quite admirably. I didn't shell out for a colour screen wireless remote so I can browse text lists.

egd
2008-05-18, 14:28
See what I mean?

I'm beginning to. At least fixing this is on the enhancement list, otherwise I'd most definitely return the Controller. All in all it's been quite a disappointment. Any progress with a native iPeng for the iPhone/ Touch?

pippin
2008-05-18, 15:11
I'm beginning to. At least fixing this is on the enhancement list, otherwise I'd most definitely return the Controller. All in all it's been quite a disappointment. Any progress with a native iPeng for the iPhone/ Touch?

Starts to look like something on the simulator, yet I don't have a 2.0 Firmware so I have no idea how well this will perform on an iPod.
However, I recently got to see the performance of some other solutions that use a browser window within an app - something I have avoided so far because I assumed it would perform as bad as Mobile Safari does, which does not seem to be the case.
So I start to be optimistic that iPeng native will have almost as much functionality as the skin from the beginning, part of which will be native (NowPlaying, core Browse Lists) and part of which could still be a skin (e.g. plugins). If that sounds bad: it's not.
I'm currently running iPeng (skin) in a full screen window on my iPod where it's almost as fast as a native app using Jiggy: fast and smooth scrolling of long lists, loading of pages within 2-3s (75 albums), loading of all the artwork <10s, this is soooo cool. The only drawback is, some things don't work (swipe, dialog boxes, scrolling to the right place...) and you need a jailbroken iPod/iPhone. If it takes Apple much longer to release the 3rd party firmware I could become tempted to write a modified iPeng (skin) version just for that....

Mnyb
2008-06-15, 00:47
It's looks like its fixed in 7.1 now (it's had been there for a while first 7.1 for me).

You have "Album Sort Method" under advanced settings:

Album
Artist,Year,Album
Artist,Album

I deem the Year option pretty hard to use as Year tags is always wrong from the getgo on most tag databases. People who wants to use this will probably edit all their tags so that the year is correct.

JJZolx
2008-06-15, 02:16
I deem the Year option pretty hard to use as Year tags is always wrong from the getgo on most tag databases. People who wants to use this will probably edit all their tags so that the year is correct.

Don't rely on tag databases to automatically tag your library. Most have inaccuracies. If you want to be that anal about how your library is tagged, then it goes without saying that you should be double-checking the accuracy of the data.

Mnyb
2008-06-15, 02:25
Don't rely on tag databases to automatically tag your library. Most have inaccuracies. If you want to be that anal about how your library is tagged, then it goes without saying that you should be double-checking the accuracy of the data.

I know, i just don't use the year option.
I'm not that anal about tagging as my pow is thats it's all flawed, I'll start a retagging campain when a new and better metadata standard apears.
last tag correction round was adding album art.
I can live with inacuracies as i'm able to find the files somehow.
I don't use any advanced methods building playlists etc.

I did the automatic tag method as no normal human has the time to do anything else, so i have to live with some errors no problems.