PDA

View Full Version : Composers listed in Artists. Why?

jstraw
2008-05-17, 14:53
When I look at music for a specific artist, the listing includes anything that may have been composed by that artists. How can I limit the listing for an artist to files on which the person is the performer?

slimkid
2008-05-17, 20:34
When I look at music for a specific artist, the listing includes anything that may have been composed by that artists. How can I limit the listing for an artist to files on which the person is the performer?

check settings->music library. Is there a check mark on 'list composers as artist' selection. Alternatively, check your tags; see if artist contains exactly what you want.

K

jstraw
2008-05-18, 06:56
check settings->music library. Is there a check mark on 'list composers as artist' selection. Alternatively, check your tags; see if artist contains exactly what you want.

K

Neither of these things seem to be the cause.

jstraw
2008-05-20, 05:39
I may just have to blow away all my composer tags.

skillet
2008-06-05, 19:42
I'm having the same issue.

I checked the Settings -> Music Library -> Composer, Band and Orchestra in Artists setting and none of the 3 (Composer, Conducter, Band/Orchestra) boxes are checked. However, for certain songs, the Composer ends up having the Album + related songs listed under their name. For instance, I have the "John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers -- Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton" album and originally the entire album was showing up under both artists; I used Mp3Tag to modify the Artist tag to remove Eric Clapton, rescanned the library and now only 2 songs are showing up under "Eric Clapton", both of which have him listed as a Composer. I have a number of other songs that pop up like this occasionally for other artists.

It's not a big deal, but it still bugs me and I see no option to disable this. If the aforementioned option is the way of preventing this, then something appears to be bugged as it is forcing Composer in Artists regardless of the SqueezeCenter setting.

Nonreality
2008-06-05, 21:47
Here read my post here, not really what I said but what Philip says to me. It's a pretty easy fix in mp3tag. I bet what your program says is composer is what Squeezey reads as albumartist

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=46093&page=17&highlight=band+album+artist

jstraw
2008-06-06, 05:10
Well, my current belief is that I could clear all the composer tags in all my files but that sort of brute force solution diminishes the functionality of my files and it shouldn't be necessary.

I'd like the software engineers that maintain Squeezecenter to fix this. Do they read these forums?

jstraw
2008-06-06, 05:23
Here read my post here, not really what I said but what Philip says to me. It's a pretty easy fix in mp3tag. I bet what your program says is composer is what Squeezey reads as albumartist

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=46093&page=17&highlight=band+album+artist

My program is MP3Tag. If Squeezecenter is forcing Composer to be read as Albumartist or Artist, that's on Squeezecenter to fix. I can think of no circumstance where this would be desired behavior.

mherger
2008-06-06, 06:19
> I'd like the software engineers that maintain Squeezecenter to fix
> this. Do they read these forums?

Yes, we do. And a schema rework is planned for SC 7.3. No details yet, but a bug (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8303) with a lot of related bugs.

--

Michael

slimkid
2008-06-06, 07:05
My program is MP3Tag. If Squeezecenter is forcing Composer to be read as Albumartist or Artist, that's on Squeezecenter to fix. I can think of no circumstance where this would be desired behavior.

I don't think that SC is doing it the way it's described above.

You actually do have Dylan tagged as both composer and artist at various, different tracks in your library. Now, it becomes a judgement call. There's a person, contributor, at various roles. Do I want to be able to see anything where he participates, or just tracks where he partecipates in a certain role? Some people would say yes, some no. Maybe another candidate for switch in settings. But definitely, not a bug. As Michael says, there will be a rework.

K

JJZolx
2008-06-06, 09:13
I'm pretty sure we've seen this bug described before in the forums.

It's not that the composer is incorrectly showing up in the artist list, but that albums/tracks attributed to the composer show up under that person along with any albums and tracks on which he's an artist. I'm guessing that this may be the side effect of functionality requested as a stopgap for working with classical music. Or maybe it's just a nasty bug.

What I would do, until it's fixed: There's no reason to delete the data, just rename the tag. You can reverse the changes at a later date. Rename all of your COMPOSER fields (actually TCOM in id3v2 tags) to something else, say 'COMPOSER_SAVE'. To do this in Mp3tag what you'd actually do is copy the COMPOSER field to the new one and then remove COMPOSER.

Create an 'Action Group' (a named set of Mp3tag actions):

1. Action: Format value
- Field: COMPOSER_SAVE
- Value: %composer%

2. Action: Remove fields
- Field: COMPOSER

Test it on a single file first, then check the Extended Tags dialog in Mp3tag to see if it does what's expected. Then test on an album. When you're sure it's doing as expected, unleash it on your whole library.

jstraw
2009-04-12, 19:41
Thanks for that recipe...testing it, it works. Gonna be fun to see how long it takes to run on my library.