PDA

View Full Version : ARTISTSORT issue.

jstraw
2008-05-17, 14:48
I'm in the process of going through my flac files using mp3tag to add artistsort to all "firstname lastname" artists with a "lastname, firstname" structure.

So now, Bob Dylan's "Dylan, Bob" artistsort tag has effectively gotten him out of the B's and into the D's but he still appears as "Bob Dylan." I'd prefer for him to be listed as "Dylan, Bob."

Can this be done?

Also, is there a way to tag files that have say, two primary artists so that they are listed twice, under both artists?

JJZolx
2008-05-17, 15:29
I'm in the process of going through my flac files using mp3tag to add artistsort to all "firstname lastname" artists with a "lastname, firstname" structure.

So now, Bob Dylan's "Dylan, Bob" artistsort tag has effectively gotten him out of the B's and into the D's but he still appears as "Bob Dylan." I'd prefer for him to be listed as "Dylan, Bob."

Can this be done?

Also set ARTIST to "Dylan, Bob"?

Also, is there a way to tag files that have say, two primary artists so that they are listed twice, under both artists?

For Flac, create two ARTIST fields. Alternatively, use a separator character, which is how it must be done with tagging systems such as ID3v2.

ARTIST=Mark Knopfler
ARTIST=Chet Atkins

When you browse by artist, both will show up in the list and the album will be listed below each artist. When you browse by album, though, the album will (or should) never appear twice. It will be grouped with one or the other artist (I think it's usually the first one alphabetically). You can force the grouping using something like

ALBUMARTIST=Mark Knopfler
ARTIST=Mark Knopfler
ARTIST=Chet Atkins

But one downside to doing this is that the album will appear to be "by" the album artist and won't display both artist names until you drill down into the album or track detail level.

jstraw
2008-05-17, 17:28
Also set ARTIST to "Dylan, Bob"?

I was afraid of this. If I had not bothered to create the artistsort tags and just edited the artist tag to "dylan, bob" wouldn't I have accomplished what I wanted with just one tagging change? Perhaps I can do some sort of batch thing with MP3TAG to force the current contents of artistsort into artist. Anyone know?

For Flac, create two ARTIST fields. Alternatively, use a separator character, which is how it must be done with tagging systems such as ID3v2.

ARTIST=Mark Knopfler
ARTIST=Chet Atkins

When you browse by artist, both will show up in the list and the album will be listed below each artist. When you browse by album, though, the album will (or should) never appear twice. It will be grouped with one or the other artist (I think it's usually the first one alphabetically). You can force the grouping using something like

ALBUMARTIST=Mark Knopfler
ARTIST=Mark Knopfler
ARTIST=Chet Atkins

But one downside to doing this is that the album will appear to be "by" the album artist and won't display both artist names until you drill down into the album or track detail level.

Thanks.

JJZolx
2008-05-17, 17:44
I was afraid of this. If I had not bothered to create the artistsort tags and just edited the artist tag to "dylan, bob" wouldn't I have accomplished what I wanted with just one tagging change?

Yep.

Perhaps I can do some sort of batch thing with MP3TAG to force the current contents of artistsort into artist. Anyone know?

Yes, you can easily do this in Mp3tag. Either create and save an Action ("Aa" buttons) or use a 'Quick' Action (an action that isn't saved). Select 'Format value', enter 'ARTIST' under 'Field:' and '%artistsort%' under 'Format string:'.

bobkoure
2008-05-19, 04:47
You might give some thought to saving the tag(s) that are about to be overwritten to oldtagname_tmp (or whatever)before overwriting. Then if you don't like the way things work you can get back to where you started pretty easily.
The downside, of course, is that it's an extra step to get rid of those ???_tmp tags once you decide that you do like the way things work.
I don't bother with this sort of thing for tagging an album or three, but if I was changing the artist tags in my whole collection...