PDA

View Full Version : MAC aac file playback dropout solution



Scott Rudmann
2004-03-02, 08:05
What I would really like to do is get a server with a massive hard drive to
use as the music server, and then control it from the laptop. even with 80
gigs on a g4 laptop i am running out of room.

any ideas on if there is a mac-type server i can buy that will run the
slimserver software, and be able to be communicated with remotely by a
laptop?



> From: Craig Brannan <craig (AT) brannan (DOT) com>
> Reply-To: Slim Devices Discussion <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
> Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 08:30:40 -0500
> To: Slim Devices Discussion <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
> Subject: [slim] MAC aac file playback dropout solution
>
> Well if this indicates that your running the server from a laptop then
> of course a hardwired connection from the basestation to the squeeze
> won't help.
>
> I've got my slim on a wireless link to the basestation and that's
> pretty good because neither the slim or the basestation move around and
> I get a consistent 90 - 100% signal strength. My server is on a wired
> connection to a G4 dual 450.
>
> But running the server on a wireless laptop will subject the music
> stream to all sorts of inconsistencies - even with G. Just sitting here
> in the living room right now I can see the airport signal strength on
> my powerbook vary significantly just by moving a couple of inches in
> any direction. That's not good if your streaming an audio signal.
>
> Of course if the laptop was firmly bolted down in a spot with known
> good signal strength it would work fine as a music server.
>
> Craig.
>
>
> On Mar 2, 2004, at 5:16 AM, Scott Rudmann wrote:
>>
>> the only way to fix it would be to uses cables from the laptop to the
>> squeezebox....kind of defeats the purpose of being wireless, wouldn't
>> you
>> think?
>>
>
>

Craig Brannan
2004-03-02, 08:38
If by Mac-type you mean genuine Apple... then a nice new G5 would
certainly fit the bill.

Seriously though - like I said, I've got a dual g4 450MHZ which is
just fine for everything with one exception - transcoding with Lame.

I don't know if this is a 5.1.x problem or just the fact that lame
and/or perl or any combination of the above just don't automagically
use the dual processor architecture - but that's the one big thing that
I'd have to say still isn't right with the 5.1.x releases - at least on
OSX.

According to other posts to this list it doesn't seem to be a problem
on other platforms though.

Anyway depending on how thick your wallet is - a new G5 would be great
- or if there's a source of used Macs near you - I'd say any of the
recent G4 800Mhz or higher systems would offer a pretty good bang for
the buck.

Or if you like to tinker and/or are looking for a new hobby - an
inexpensive Linux box would be just as good if all your going to use it
for is a music server. You'll need to be prepared to get a bit more
intimate with the system than you may be used to on the Mac though.

Craig.


On Mar 2, 2004, at 10:05 AM, Scott Rudmann wrote:

> What I would really like to do is get a server with a massive hard
> drive to
> use as the music server, and then control it from the laptop. even
> with 80
> gigs on a g4 laptop i am running out of room.
>
> any ideas on if there is a mac-type server i can buy that will run the
> slimserver software, and be able to be communicated with remotely by a
> laptop?
>
>
>
>> From: Craig Brannan <craig (AT) brannan (DOT) com>
>> Reply-To: Slim Devices Discussion <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
>> Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 08:30:40 -0500
>> To: Slim Devices Discussion <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
>> Subject: [slim] MAC aac file playback dropout solution
>>
>> Well if this indicates that your running the server from a laptop then
>> of course a hardwired connection from the basestation to the squeeze
>> won't help.
>>
>> I've got my slim on a wireless link to the basestation and that's
>> pretty good because neither the slim or the basestation move around
>> and
>> I get a consistent 90 - 100% signal strength. My server is on a wired
>> connection to a G4 dual 450.
>>
>> But running the server on a wireless laptop will subject the music
>> stream to all sorts of inconsistencies - even with G. Just sitting
>> here
>> in the living room right now I can see the airport signal strength on
>> my powerbook vary significantly just by moving a couple of inches in
>> any direction. That's not good if your streaming an audio signal.
>>
>> Of course if the laptop was firmly bolted down in a spot with known
>> good signal strength it would work fine as a music server.
>>
>> Craig.
>>
>>
>> On Mar 2, 2004, at 5:16 AM, Scott Rudmann wrote:
>>>
>>> the only way to fix it would be to uses cables from the laptop to the
>>> squeezebox....kind of defeats the purpose of being wireless, wouldn't
>>> you
>>> think?
>>>
>>
>>

Andrew W. Donoho
2004-03-02, 09:00
On Mar 2, 2004, at 09:38, Craig Brannan wrote:
> Or if you like to tinker and/or are looking for a new hobby - an
> inexpensive Linux box would be just as good if all your going to use
> it for is a music server. You'll need to be prepared to get a bit
> more intimate with the system than you may be used to on the Mac
> though.

Folks,

I am running a Linux server and you do not have to get too intimate
with the system. There is also help from this list and SlimDevices
staff. There is, currently, a problem sourcing AAC files off of a Linux
server that I am tracking down with Dean's help. All of the other
formats appear to be extremely well supported on Linux. Also, a G5 is
way overkill for supporting a SqueezeBox. My almost 5 year old dual
celeron 450 MHz system only chews up less than 10% of one CPU streaming
MP3. Formats that require expansion to AIFF or WAV chew upwards of 50%
of one CPU. One of the new inexpensive P4-M Shuttle systems could
easily hold large libraries with room for 200 - 300 GB of storage.

I would be happy to answer any questions about Slim Devices and Linux.

Andrew


____________________________________
Andrew W. Donoho
awd (AT) DDG (DOT) com, PGP Key ID: 0x81D0F250
+1 (512) 453-6652 (o), +1 (512) 750-7596 (m)