PDA

View Full Version : Controller: first impressions/ experience

egd
2008-05-16, 21:41
Well, i got mine today and have to conclude it is definitely not ready for the general consumer. In fact I'm sure they'd conclude it is a piece of crap and return it to the retailer, coming away very unhappy!

- it didn't do what it was advertised to do i.e. other than see the album cover (sometimes) for the currently playing song I couldn't interact with my library at all.

- the firmware would not upgrade via wireless. After reading forum posts I realised that it was possible to update via SD card. Luckily I had an SD card adapter and was able to use a micro-SD card from my PDA for the job. If I hadn't had that I'd still be screwed!

- the damned thing has dead pixels

- the battery life is extremely poor

given it is still under heavy development, perhaps it would be worthwhile posting a sticky topic to help new users figure out what needs to be done to get it working rather than expect them to wade through umpteen forum posts in the hope of an answer.

All in all a very disappointing experience thus far.

ModelCitizen
2008-05-16, 22:27
How odd.

Mine works fine. Interacts with library perfectly and responsively, showing all cover art and music details (inc lyrics, bios, reviews etc). The battery life is superb, the firmware updates over wireless with no problems and I've never seen hide nor hair of a dead pixel.

I wonder why yours is so different?

MC

egd
2008-05-16, 22:45
How odd.

Mine works fine. Interacts with library perfectly and responsively, showing all cover art and music details (inc lyrics, bios, reviews etc). The battery life is superb, the firmware updates over wireless with no problems and I've never seen hide nor hair of a dead pixel.

MC

Probably because it shipped with r1425 of the firmware and I'm guessing yours shipped with a newer version. I have it working now (firmware upgrade), but I'm pretty damned sure the average consumer would have sent it back and assumed it was faulty. Battery was charged overnight and drained flat within 4 hours. There have been a few reports of dead pixels already.

ModelCitizen
2008-05-16, 23:13
Ah, so once you upgraded the firware were all your troubles solved? If so, I guess Logitech should consider shipping with a later version of the firmware.

MC

Mnyb
2008-05-16, 23:15
How odd.

MC

Me too with one exception, the setup procedure didn't work at all. had to resort to NET-UDAP to point the SBR to my server.
But the Controller has worked flawlessly for me.

There are some wol bugs and other handling Quirks (SC to SN switching) but thats minimal problems.

I have my WRT54GL router set to 251mW (default 41) of power on the wireless (the maximum settings he he ) and I live in an 69 Square meters 2 room flat.
And i'm alone on channel 6 in my building. both my players show around 90% (was 75 with 41mW )signal strength. I can use the Controller from my bathroom
trough 1 concrete and 1 sheetrock wall to my router.

Not being able to download fw and sluggish Controller behavior IS usually some kind off wireless problem. They are working on some compatibility issues.

Off course dont use the 7.0 software I never used it. the last months i've been on some kind of 7.01 .

If you tried the product with 7.0 and returned it, that was a little premature decision me thinks.
To criticize Logitech just a little with hindsight the product was released prematurely but everybody does that*. With 7.01 its ready for consumers

I would be astonished if the controller actually had less usable range than the player, THAT would be a piece of cr*p or really really stupid design parameters.

cheers
Mikael

*PS i would like to find the engineer who slipped the secrets of flash prom's to marketing people then...

MuckleEck
2008-05-16, 23:33
egd,

I find it worrying that the first person from down under to review the duet has one with out of date firmware and dead pixels.

I can't remember what firmware version I had when mine was delivered but it did do everything wirelessly and I heven't noticed any dead pixels.

Battery life is average, about a long evening, shorter than the Harmony 1000 which has the same battery in it but doesn't do as much.

Have things improved since you have been able to upgarde the firmware?

andynormancx
2008-05-17, 00:21
Probably because it shipped with r1425 of the firmware and I'm guessing yours shipped with a newer version. I have it working now (firmware upgrade), but I'm pretty damned sure the average consumer would have sent it back and assumed it was faulty. Battery was charged overnight and drained flat within 4 hours.
My first couple of charges lasted only 4-5 hours as well, but I don't think I was down to early firmware as my firmware was updated automatically within about 15 minutes of taking it out of the box.

The initial low battery life was down one think, the fact that I was using it a lot in those first couple of days. I was picking it up and playing with it all the time, trying out all the features, installing new plugins and testing those, skipping up and down my music library. As such the first couple of charges we under non-typical use.

As soon as I settled down battery life shot up. If I use the Controller "normally", queuing up music throughout the day, it makes it through a full day and into the next day without a charge. If I don't use the controller for a couple of days it survives quite happily and still has some charge when I come back to it.

So I think some documentation is probably needed to explain this to the average consumer.

Sure it would be nice if the battery lasted even longer, but that would mean a bigger and clunkier Controller and I like the nice slim form that it has.

Apteryx
2008-05-17, 00:34
Mine arrived in NZ last week with the same pretty old r1425 firmware. Cannot find my Wireless network which works for any number of pc's, laptops, squeezeboxen, n800 etc. Had to upgrade firmware via SD - wouldn't recognise one of my two cards, but finally got that done. Still doesn't recognize my network, or more specifically the password (sees the network). Given up for now - will bash my head against it again when I've finished pulling my fingernails out.

Trumanswater
2008-05-17, 01:16
Received mine in NZ yesterday. A very frustrating experience, the controller would not update and it would take minutes to connect to my existing Squeezeboxes (I have 2 Squeezebox 3s) if at all (most of the time it wouldn't connect even if it was next to them and the wireless network router).

If I used Squeezecenter on my PC to connect to Squeezenetwork everything worked but if I tried to use the controller to reconnect any of the Squeezeboxes to my music files it never connected. Even when I used the web interface to connect to my local music and on the rare occasion the controller connected to one of my squeezebox 3s, it showed what was playing but had no menu options to browse my music library and change what was playing. This was all using the latest Squeezecenter 7.0.1.

Finally today out of desperation I installed the 7.1 alpha. The controller then updated properly for the first time and now everything works perfectly. Changing player takes about 2 seconds and my music library is available and works fine on all of them. Switching between Squeezenetwork and Squeezecenter also works fine. Only minor problem is the standard Squeezecenter web interface is corrupt (it is alpha software) but changing from Classic to Fishbone has sorted that for now.

Worth a try for those with problems. [I have an XP PC and a USR9106 wireless router]

egd
2008-05-17, 03:05
I find it worrying that the first person from down under to review the duet has one with out of date firmware and dead pixels.Heh, perhaps the beta units were shipped down under

Have things improved since you have been able to upgarde the firmware?
I upgraded the firmware via SqueezeCenter Version: 7.1 - 19758 binaries. With the updated firmware it's functional and I can use it to interact with my library. The overall build quality is pretty poor though - the battery lid has play and squeaks as your palm closes around it when pressing buttons etc. The scroll wheel still leaves a lot to be desired when compared to any iPod device. Oversteering is pretty easy once it gets going and I find that it's not particularly responsive getting it going.

I don't mean to bash the product, but I reckon a native application running on an iPhone or iPod Touch will make for a much nicer wireless remote.

Shredder
2008-05-17, 07:28
There are many frustrations surrounding the SD products, but all in all, I think they are great. The SC interface leaves a bit to be desired, but I love the players.

As to the Controller, I have been pleasantly surprised. I have read so many posts from people with issues that i was a little hesitant to order one. However, mine has worked without a hitch and I think it is a teriffic product. Best of all, my wife likes how intuitive it is and is now more interested in my whole digital storeage project.

I get the impression a lot of the problems come from wireless issues more than problems with the Controller itself. I invested in a very nice router (linksys)and that has reduced a lot of the problems I know people have not just with the Controller but w/the SB/Receiver/TP.

Anyway, keep trying with the Controller, it has a lot of potential.

twylie
2008-05-17, 07:45
Well, i got mine today and have to conclude it is definitely not ready for the general consumer. In fact I'm sure they'd conclude it is a piece of crap and return it to the retailer, coming away very unhappy!

- it didn't do what it was advertised to do i.e. other than see the album cover (sometimes) for the currently playing song I couldn't interact with my library at all.

- the firmware would not upgrade via wireless. After reading forum posts I realised that it was possible to update via SD card. Luckily I had an SD card adapter and was able to use a micro-SD card from my PDA for the job. If I hadn't had that I'd still be screwed!

- the damned thing has dead pixels

- the battery life is extremely poor

given it is still under heavy development, perhaps it would be worthwhile posting a sticky topic to help new users figure out what needs to be done to get it working rather than expect them to wade through umpteen forum posts in the hope of an answer.

All in all a very disappointing experience thus far.

I just got my controller this week and my experience is 180 degrees from yours.

- full interaction with my library, music services and internet radio.
- update over network worked flawlessly
- no dead pixels
- battery life has been great for me. I have the dim set to the shortest length. I've yet to run it down below 2/3 full even after a couple of hours of off and on use.
- build quality on mine has none of the issues you mention in a later post. No squeeks, etc.

I couldn't be happier. In fact, my wife asked why we didn't get one earlier. Only complaint is it looks like it will be easy for gunk to work its way between the buttons and the case/wheel.

I'm unsure what firmware shipped on mine as it worked out of the box.

Sounds like you may have gotten a dud; sucks, but it happens. I'd ship it back and get another.

dennis55
2008-05-17, 08:39
Got mine this week and happy to say that it is working very well.
i bought the Duet package just for the Controller to access my Transporter and the two are a good match.
the Controller seems to have a lot of potential and i await with interest it's ongoing development.
i see Ver 7.0.1.has been upgraded again, so i'm off to install it now.
i think us SlimDevices/Logitech users are very fortunate to have such an excellent online community which other manufacturers must view with envy....

dennis

pablolie
2008-05-17, 08:51
i am running the latest 7.01, have owned 3 SB3s for years, but the Duet i got is pretty unusable. i am working with tech support on it.

the controller constantly drops out of the network, and there is nothing wrong with the network nor has the linksys wireless router ever had issues with another device.

i'll probably return it.

audio53
2008-05-17, 11:56
I received my Controller on Thursday. In under 5 minutes I had it unpacked, looked over the quick start booklet, it found my network, updated the firmware and I was playing music on my SB3 (battery was at half charge when I unpacked it.). I really enjoy this thing. It is a big advantage to me to have the screen with me instead of having to put my glasses on to read the SB3 display across the room from my listening position. Since I play mostly classical, I look at the screen quite a bit to keep up with what movement is playing, especially with less familiar pieces. I don't use album art so can't comment there. All in all, nice job Slim Devices.

Bob

djonez
2008-05-17, 11:57
Luckily I had a apple airport lying around. Cause I was going nuts with the linksys wireless router I was using. I tried the airport and all the connection problems were gone. Duet seems to be picky.

egd
2008-05-17, 13:13
my WAP is a Netgear WG102 and wireless signal throughout the house is fantastic. The firmware upgrade iussue was definitely not a wireless issue - since the upgrade the Controller has worked without hitch. Having used the iPeng plugin with an iPod Touch for some time, I think the Controller has a long way to go to get even close to iPod type devices in terms of tactile response etc.

I also find:
- it's a lot quicker to navigate to where I want to be via the IR remote, but that's not a Controller issue, just personal preference (and the magic of LazySearch)
- browsing album lists the artwork is too small.

Can someone tell me how to get albums sorted by Artist/Album rather than Album in the artist view (from the Controller), or for that matter whether sort order can be changed from the Controller? As it's likely a SC thing, can the SC be set to make Artist/Album the default sortorder or does one need to reset this every time you restart SC?