PDA

View Full Version : How to disable SB3 Optical O/P when off?

raglencross
2008-05-15, 14:23
I am using an optical switch that prioritizes 4 optical inputs. Optimally, all inputs should be off when not in use. My problem is that the optical output on my SB3 is always on despite having set "Turn off audio" under the "Player Audio" settings to "Disable output when off". Is there anything else that I have to do to get the optical port to output a signal only when I turn the SB3 on?

EDIT:
I see this problem is covered by Bug 1397 with a projected fix in SC7.1. It has been around a long time, so anyone else with this problem should vote for the bug to increase its priority.

Out of curiosity, what does "Disable output when off" do if not turn of the carrier on the digital outputs?

MuckleEck
2008-05-16, 09:05
Out of curiosity, what does "Disable output when off" do if not turn of the carrier on the digital outputs?

It turns the analogue output off, which in my case causes my powered speakers to go into a standby mode.

raglencross
2008-05-16, 09:34
I guess in this case "audio" does mean only "audio" and useful in your application, although I would have thought that turning off the SB would normally result in no audio coming from the analogue port. Can't see why you need a setting for this. In the case of the optical port you are modulating the audio on a light carrier and need the option to turn off the carrier and/or the audio, depending on your application. Anyway, it seems from the bug comments that the intricacies of the problem are well understood and we can look forward to a proper solution in SC7.1.