PDA

View Full Version : Can I create playlists within SC without a SB?

bigbwb
2008-05-15, 07:53
Hello,

I will be ordering my SB3 very soon. I decided to download squeezecenter in the mean time and play around with it to get a feel for it. It recognized everything just fine, but when I attempt to create a playlist in the SC web browser, it wants to load the song and it stalls. I thought I could just start creating playlists from my music folder so that when the unit arrives I will be all set to go.

Are you unable to create these playlists with out a SB hooked up?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Brandon

Secret Squirrel
2008-05-15, 08:00
Welcome aboard Brandon! It's great that you're working head before getting your SB3. Yes, you can create playlists without the physical unit. After installing SC did you scan your music directory? If not, that's something you need to do. Then I recommend that you load Softsqueeze and play around with your lists there. (SoftSqueeze is downloaded from the Help portion of SC.)

HTH,

SS

bigbwb
2008-05-15, 09:39
SS,

Thanks. I did scan the music folder and they all show up in SC. When I select a track to add to the playlist while in SC, this is when the window freezes while in the right hand section"loading" appears. I did download softsqueeze. I am not sure whether to make the playlists in Sc or softsqueeze?

Thanks,
Brandon

Secret Squirrel
2008-05-15, 10:01
Sounds like you're on the right road, but have you installed SoftSqueeze? I think you have to have a player attached for the right panel to perform correctly. So, if you haven't already, open up Softsqueeze and get it started playing some music.

Building a playlist can be done from either the Web UI, SoftSqueeze, the SB3 remote (when you get it), or even a Controller (which neither of us have...yet). My preference is to use the Fishbone Skin in the Web UI and build my playlists there, but try a couple of different ways to find your favorite.

HTH,

SS

pski
2008-05-15, 14:46
"Usual" operation isn't always apparent to the new user.

Open SoftSqueeze on the desktop.

You can minimize it if you want.

Open SqueezeCenter in a browser. If you use Firefox, you may not get the "right panel" showing the player. The easiest way to do this is to click the "rightmost of the left group of icons" at the top of the player... the one to the right of the question mark..

SoftSqueeze is a SOFTWARE player that acts just like SB hardware, except it plays through your PC's sound card.. Remember, you have a few different places to adjust volume other than the SS volume... speaker volume and channel input volume are controlled by winders.

bigbwb
2008-05-15, 20:03
Well good news,

I figured out how to create & manipulate the playlists. I was even able to use my playlists from WMP 11.

As long as my files have embeded album art, they work too! Once one gets over the not so user friendly interface, it works.

Thanks guys!
Brandon