PDA

View Full Version : Question about streaming AND synchronizing

RonHatl
2008-05-15, 00:36
Hi, I have four Squeezeboxes connected WIRELESS to SqueezeCenter 7. Sometimes I like to listen to a radio station as I walk all over the apartment, so I synchronize all four players. I love this feature! :-)

Questions, in this case:

a) Are actually four parallel streams sent from my stream host to my ADSL modem? Or just one to the master squeezebox from which the others are synchronized?
b) Are actually four parallel signals (e.g. 128Kbps x 4) sent from my wireless router to the squeezeboxes? Or is this handled more efficient in some way?

Ronny

bpa
2008-05-15, 12:40
Each SB gets its stream from the source, so yes, there are 4 streams.

I don't think that is always the case. When running AlienBBC which uses mplayer to play a RealAudio stream - with mulitple SBs synched there is only once instance of mplayer i.e. only one connection to station.

radish
2008-05-15, 12:48
My understanding (and I may be wrong) is that in the normal case the SB connects directly to the stream server, but if multiple players are synced SC takes over and proxys the data so the players can be kept in sync.

So one stream to the router and on to the SC box, and 4 from there back to the router and out to the players.

Mark Lanctot
2008-05-15, 12:51
I stand corrected. Sorry about that! :-)