PDA

View Full Version : Displaying "comment" tag from FLAC files in SqueezeCenter

brucesee
2008-05-14, 12:55
Among the various ID tags I have in my FLAC files is a "comment" or "comments" tag containing info. on the various musicians performing on an album. When I view the tags via dbpoweramp, I see the info. The tag, however, is not showing up in SqueezeCenter (neither in the browser interface nor on the Squeezebox). Any ideas as to how I can get SqueezeCenter to display the tag? Other tags do indeed display (e.g., artist, album, genre, year, gain, etc). Thanks.

ntom
2008-05-14, 17:42
From the now playing screen if you scroll right does it appear when you scroll through the tags for the track playing?

If not then it must be a tagging problem. It could be that you are looking at ID3 tag info instead of the FLAC tags (VORBIS tags?). Not sure how you check this with dbpoweramp (I use MP3TAG & you can clear the ID3 tags using this to be sure you have the correct tags).

brucesee
2008-05-14, 18:23
Thanks. No, when I scroll right the info. doesn't appear (though, it used to when I had SqueezeCenter running iTunes). I think you may be correct about ID3 instead of Voorbis. But, that still begs the question as to why some of the tags (genre, artist, etc) still display. I'm assuing that all the tags are encoded the same. I'll attempt a sample tag w/MP3 tagger and see what (if anything) changes.

bobkoure
2008-05-15, 05:13
But, that still begs the question as to why some of the tags (genre, artist, etc) still display.
There are several "kinds" of tags (Ape, FLAC, MP3, Vorbis), and there's no general agreement between products (dbPowerAmp, MP3Tag WinAmp, SqueezeCenter) as to which one takes precedence.
So, if Ape tags have precedence (which I'm pretty sure is the case with SC), and you have some Ape tags and some MP3 tags, the only MP3 tags that will "show through" are the ones not "covered" by matching Ape tags. On another tagger/player there might be a different order of precedence so you'd see a different set of tags first.
Even MP3Tag won't tell you when this has happened - but you can set it to delete all but one kind of tag and to write only one kind of tag, which solves the problem.
There may also be an option to write only one kind of tag when converting in dbPowerAmp's Converter, but I haven't found it.

chinablues
2008-05-15, 06:06
Among the various ID tags I have in my FLAC files is a "comment" or "comments" tag containing info. on the various musicians performing on an album. When I view the tags via dbpoweramp, I see the info. The tag, however, is not showing up in SqueezeCenter (neither in the browser interface nor on the Squeezebox). Any ideas as to how I can get SqueezeCenter to display the tag? Other tags do indeed display (e.g., artist, album, genre, year, gain, etc). Thanks.

I believe one of the Plugins from Erland Isaksson does this, but cannot remember which. ( I had it loaded, but wiped my install to reinstall a beta & haven't loaded the plugins I used to use). Erland has a website which explains all. Check on Audio Plugins.

Dan

ModelCitizen
2008-05-15, 07:17
I populate the Comments tag of all my flac files with Reviews and Artist Bios (usually taken from www.allmusic.com) and I can see them clearly in the SqueezeCenter web gui when I view the details of any track.

I don't know if you know this but you can configure the Squeezebox such that the comments tag scrolls automatically across the screen. You can also view the contents of the Comment tag simply in the Duet Controller. Personally I use the Controller 99% of the time and find the the ability to simply read the reviews and artist's biography of the album I'm listening displayed fully in the device's colour screen very useful indeed.

Flac files should use Ogg Vorbis tags. From the flac web site:

"What kinds of tags does FLAC support?
FLAC has it's own native tagging system which is identical to that of Vorbis. They are called alternately "FLAC tags" and "Vorbis comments". It is the only tagging system required and guaranteed to be supported by FLAC implementations.
Out of convenience, the reference decoder knows how to skip ID3 tags so that they don't interfere with decoding. But you should not expect any tags beside FLAC tags to be supported in applications; some implementations may not even be able to decode a FLAC file with ID3 tags."

MC

brucesee
2008-05-15, 07:57
Thanks everyone. A bit of follow-up witb MC, please. I figured that SqueezeCenter and the Duet Controller could be programmed to scroll the comment fields (in fact, prior to my going FLAC, last week, I had Squezze set to run iTunes and all comments scrolled no problem). Problem is, I'm just not picking up the field at all. So, 2 questions (if you don't mind): (1) what exactly have you done in terms of programming to SqueezeCenter to enable the scrolling comments; and (2) what program do you use for tagging? Thanks.

ModelCitizen
2008-05-15, 12:51
Thanks everyone. A bit of follow-up witb MC, please. I figured that SqueezeCenter and the Duet Controller could be programmed to scroll the comment fields (in fact, prior to my going FLAC, last week, I had Squezze set to run iTunes and all comments scrolled no problem). Problem is, I'm just not picking up the field at all. So, 2 questions (if you don't mind): (1) what exactly have you done in terms of programming to SqueezeCenter to enable the scrolling comments; and (2) what program do you use for tagging? Thanks.
I have no idea why you cannot view the Comment field in your tracks. If you want to stick a (short) example file somewhere where I can pick it up I'll have a look.

STOP PRESS, LATE EDIT: There may be a bug in your version of SC. Try downloading the infinitely preferable 7.0.1. Hopefully it'll fix it.

Otherwise just to quickly correct something above. The great thing about the Controller is that it shows the comment field in Track Details by default and the Comment text fills the whole screen, so no need for horizontal scrolling.

The Comment field shows by default when you view track details in the SqueezeCenter web gui. There is no configuration required.

To get the Comment field to show on your player display is more interesting and how you do it depends upon what exactly you want.... you may want the Now Playing screen saver to display it for instance. The main thing is to add the Commment fields in SC/Settings/Interface/Title Format. Once you've done this you can choose to have it display in your player.

Michael Herger's wonderful MusicInfo plugin increases your options for Now Playing/Comment etc and will increase the possibilities open to you.

I use MP3Tag for tagging. I think it's pretty perfect.

MC

JJZolx
2008-05-15, 13:04
So, if Ape tags have precedence (which I'm pretty sure is the case with SC), and you have some Ape tags and some MP3 tags, the only MP3 tags that will "show through" are the ones not "covered" by matching Ape tags.

While Ape tags do take precedence over ID3 tags in MP3s, I believe the behavior you describe is incorrect. I'm pretty sure SqueezeCenter will simply ignore the ID3 tag altogether if there's an Ape tag in the file.

brucesee
2008-05-15, 14:55
More thanks, MC. I'll try out SC 7.0.1 or maybe even 7.1. I actually tried to update, last night, but, the reinstall kept hanging. So, I wound up having to roll back to 7.0. For some reason, when trying to update, SqeezeTray.exe won't remove fully. I'll try again, tomorrow (perhaps by going into the Processes box (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) and making sure that Tray.exe and anything else Squeeze related has truly been uninstalled and is not running).

And, yes, I thought that the comment field would simply display automatically in the web interface and controller when viewing track details. But, it just won't show. As for on the player, I used to be able to view comments via iTunes, also in track details. Now, that I've gone FLAC and, thus, am no longer running through iTunes, I'll take a look at the plug-in you mentioned (assuming that I manage to get 7.0.1 installed and everything else going).

If everything fails, I may just take you up on your generous offer to view one of my files. But, for the time being, I don't want to waste your time, so, I'll try the fixes you mentioned, first.

ModelCitizen
2008-05-15, 20:57
I'll try out SC 7.0.1 or maybe even 7.1.
I'd stick to 7.0.1 if I was you, especially as it's just been officially released. 7.1 might just increase your troubles. Kill all the old SC processes (three?) first if you have troubles installing it.

I may just take you up on your generous offer to view one of my files.
It's really no trouble. If you find somewhere to stick it so I can download it let me know via pm.

MC