PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox 3 skips and is slow when playing lossless audio

king of anglia
2008-05-13, 13:51
As I say in the title: My Squeezebox 3 skips and is slow when playing lossless audio.

I haven't got a clue what to do. Had a slightly more than cursory glance though the forum and FAQ but haven't found anything helpful.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

PC is:
XP sp2
Intel core 2
1.8ghz
1gb ram
USR 5642 router

JimC
2008-05-13, 14:01
As I say in the title: My Squeezebox 3 skips and is slow when playing lossless audio.

I haven't got a clue what to do. Had a slightly more than cursory glance though the forum and FAQ but haven't found anything helpful.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

PC is:
XP sp2
Intel core 2
1.8ghz
1gb ram
USR 5642 router

Could be related to a problem with mplayer. See this thread for instructions on switching to FAAD for the transcoding:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=44903&highlight=Apple+lossless+problem

-=> Jim

JJZolx
2008-05-13, 14:02

Any ideas?

If you're streaming wirelessly then it's likely a wireless networking issue. Poor reception, interference, etc. If it's connected by wired ethernet, then probably a server problem. It looks like you have plenty of horsepower to run SqueezeCenter, unless you're doing video rendering or something during music playback.

king of anglia
2008-05-14, 09:54
Thanks for the replies.

I downloaded and unpacked that faad.exe file into:
C:\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread

How do I change the convert.conf file?

king of anglia
2008-05-14, 10:24
Well I had a go at changing the convert.conf and saving it as custom-convert.conf in the root directory and it all seems to work beautifully now.

Did I need to change the convert.conf file or did downloading that faad.exe file sort it?

king of anglia
2008-07-17, 10:49
Well it's now skipping again like mad. MP3s are also a problem. The buffer just zips down to 0% as soon as it starts.
I haven't got a clue what to do. What should I check for? Where? How?
HELP!

Phil Leigh
2008-07-17, 12:47
are you running over wi-fi?
have you run the server and network health test?

JimC
2008-07-17, 12:58
Well it's now skipping again like mad. MP3s are also a problem. The buffer just zips down to 0% as soon as it starts.
I haven't got a clue what to do. What should I check for? Where? How?
HELP!

Did something change in your hardware/software configuration? New anti-virus software? New application? Update to a new OS or add a service pack?

If nothing changed on your system, I'd look at new sources of interference. Did you add a new phone (like a 2.4GHz wireless phone)? Any other wireless devices?

Even if YOU haven't changed your wireless signal clutter, one (or more) of your neighbors may have. Have you checked to see if any new wireless routers have been introduced to your area? Google for NetStumbler (Windows) or iStumbler (Mac) for software that let's you look for other wireless routers/APs in your area and see their settings. Try to set a channel on your router that is as far away from the routers with the strongest signals. For example, most routers default to channel 6; you could try 1 or 11 for no overlap with those. If there are routers at 1, 6, and 11, try 3 or 8 (whichever is furthest from the strongest router).

-=> Jim