PDA

View Full Version : Party Mode?

FredFredrickson
2008-05-13, 07:41
I'm posting this here instead of the developer forums to see what people think of this idea...

I run into this problem. The squeezebox controller is the ultimate party toy- but nobody knows how to use it, and therefore ends up not working the way you'd expect.

The ultimate goal: To have people pass around the controller at a party, and have them add to the playlist.

The ultimate problem: People figure out how to use it, but accidentally click Play instead of Add, and erase the night's playlist. On more than one occasion I'd have to track down the controller to change it off repeating one song.

The solution: Easy to use party mode that only allows adding 1 track at a time, and no instant play option, and requires a password to go into settings to change sync options and player options (And volume options).

Who here is interested in something like this...?

MadScientist
2008-05-13, 08:14
I quite like the idea but I think I prefer a hardware solution in the form of a drink-proof, scratch-proof case which only leaves the scroll wheel and ‘add’ button accessible. Not letting my unprotected Controller loose amongst drunken party guests – ‘my precious’

MS

spedinfargo
2008-05-13, 09:18
Ha! That would indeed suck. I can imagine the hours and hours of painstaking playlist perfection that you would put in to see it go down the drain...

I would add one other option in such a mode: Play Next. So either let them add songs to the playlist or queue one up right away. Anything else, no go.

aubuti
2008-05-13, 10:38
There were some threads a couple months ago, but more slanted to the IR remote. People have done some clever re-mapping of the codes to achieve this and similar goals with the IR remote, but I imagine the Controller is a substantially different undertaking.

Dean100
2008-05-13, 13:45
I think this would be a great enhancement to an already great product. No more wiping out the current playlist.

You have my vote!

peterw
2008-05-13, 14:13
There were some threads a couple months ago, but more slanted to the IR remote. People have done some clever re-mapping of the codes to achieve this and similar goals with the IR remote, but I imagine the Controller is a substantially different undertaking.

Yes, I would expect so. SqueezeCenter treats the IR remotes as sending "ir" commands, which it translates into CLI commands via the .map files, but the Controller sends direct CLI commands (CLI over JSON, but still, the Controller is specifying the exact CLI command). To change the behavior of a Controller, you'd need to "wrap" the appropriate CLI commands ("power", "playlist", etc.), somehow detect when those commands are from a Controller, and re-interpret (or ignore!) them as needed. Or re-interpret them so that they had the new meaning everywhere -- click the Play icon in your computer's web browser and it gets treated as an Add operation.

The Squeezebox Classic is better suited for parties anyway, IMO -- not only can it use the less expensive IR remote, but guests can easily see what's playing. :-)

bobkoure
2008-05-14, 11:47
You do know to save your playlist (or a succession of playlists) so at least you can recover easily from someone pressing 'play'...(?)

FredFredrickson
2008-05-14, 12:10
Yes, I do save the playlist that I've created. But people pass around the controller, adding to the playlist what they want to hear, and then one person clears it and starts playing their own music by accident- I can reload the playlist from earlier, but the tracks people added are gone.

Trevor
2008-07-21, 09:17
I saw this post a few months ago and remembered it when I had a party on Saturday just gone.
I showed everyone how to use the remote and how to add songs to the playlist. Everyone thought it was brilliant! But then one person (always the same person) kept accidentally playing a track or an album and losing the whole playlist that everyone else had been adding to (just like Fred mentioned in the original post)

I also think think having a party mode would be a really great feature. Maybe the ability to add users to the remote, each user having different capabilities, menus, and features. This would also be really useful for my girlfriend using it - she finds all the different menus a bit daunting and glazes over whenever I try to show her how to use the controller.

If that's not possible, a simple feature to retrieve the previous playlist (maybe they get cached for a few minutes) would get around this problem.

Trev

bumpydog
2008-07-22, 01:58
This would be really really useful in my opinion.

simbo
2008-07-22, 02:15
Count me in! Actually I'd be interested to see how you could do this without modifying some of the standard code on the Controller (i.e. Player.lua). If you find that's the way you're heading this may be something to request the development team to manage.

bumpydog
2008-07-22, 09:23
Maybe the best option would be for 'play' to actually insert a song immediately into the current playlist. Then once the song is over it resumes the playlist from where it left off. That way you can either play a song now or add it to the end of the playlist with the 'add' button. You wouldn't need a separate party mode or such like, just maybe an additional menu option to 'clear playlist'.

It is definately a problem. This weekend my wife and I were having a great evening in with a couple of bottles of wine, having queued up a load of great songs by passing the controller between each other, only for the whole playlist to get deleted when she accidently pressed 'play'.

I hereby start an unofficial petition to get this changed ;)

If anyone agrees then sign up here...

Jakeman
2008-07-22, 10:39
Count me in. I was going to pass the Duet around at my party this Friday but after your experience I think I'll just leave it in a drawer.

peter
2008-07-22, 10:46
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:39:15 -0700, "Jakeman"
<Jakeman.3cyngn1216748401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> said:
>
> Count me in. I was going to pass the Duet around at my party this
> Friday but after your experience I think I'll just leave it in a
> drawer.

Start an enhancement request or vote for an existing one if you really
want to make a difference.

Regards,
Peter

Trevor
2008-07-25, 06:24
How do I start an enhancement request?

simbo
2008-07-25, 09:02
How do I start an enhancement request?
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/ but have a search first to make sure one hasn't already been raised.

ModelCitizen
2008-07-25, 14:22
I'm up for this too as I've had exactly the same expereince as Fred.

If someone creates an enhancement request I'll second it.

Please post bug/enhancement link here.

MC

ghostrider
2008-07-25, 15:07
I never really thought about doing that at a party but if they enhance the controller for that, I'd buy one!

aubuti
2008-07-25, 15:17
Maybe the best option would be for 'play' to actually insert a song immediately into the current playlist. Then once the song is over it resumes the playlist from where it left off. That way you can either play a song now or add it to the end of the playlist with the 'add' button. You wouldn't need a separate party mode or such like, just maybe an additional menu option to 'clear playlist'.
Just to finish the thought here, what would you do with the current behavior of the 'play' button (ie, replace the current playlist with the track/album/playlist selected when hitting 'play')? While it's obvious that people often do this when they don't mean to do so, it's also true that sometimes that's exactly what people mean to do. So are you proposing to do away with that functionality, or what?

GeeJay
2008-07-25, 18:16
Just to finish the thought here, what would you do with the current behavior of the 'play' button (ie, replace the current playlist with the track/album/playlist selected when hitting 'play')? While it's obvious that people often do this when they don't mean to do so, it's also true that sometimes that's exactly what people mean to do. So are you proposing to do away with that functionality, or what?

I think the idea is that when you set it to party mode, the play button is temporarily disabled. If you want it to become functional, take it out of party mode.

This is a fantastic idea. I have exactly the same problem when I have a get-together.

Note: I've submitted an enhancement request: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8878

Vote for it if this is important to you.

aubuti
2008-07-26, 06:06
I think the idea is that when you set it to party mode, the play button is temporarily disabled. If you want it to become functional, take it out of party mode.
No, please look at bumpydog's post again. It suggests something completely different: (1) making play behave exactly like press-and-hold-+ , and (2) not having a separate party mode at all, but making (1) the standard behavior. Removing one function to implement a duplication of an existing function doesn't make sense to me, so I was looking for a little more explanation.

OTOH, your idea of a party mode makes a lot of sense to me.

GeeJay
2008-07-26, 07:34
That's not how I interpreted the OP, but perhaps I'm reading it wrong. I think "Party Mode" should not be the default, but rather a mode you can select. When I posted my enhancement request, I did suggest that the Play button have an alternative use while in this mode (perhaps as "Add Next", as opposed to pressing and holding the "+" key), as opposed to being totally inoperable.

aubuti
2008-07-26, 10:56
That's not how I interpreted the OP, but perhaps I'm reading it wrong. I think "Party Mode" should not be the default, but rather a mode you can select. When I posted my enhancement request, I did suggest that the Play button have an alternative use while in this mode (perhaps as "Add Next", as opposed to pressing and holding the "+" key), as opposed to being totally inoperable.
I think you're interpreting the OP correctly, but I wasn't responding to the OP, I was responding to bumpydog's post, which is why I quoted it in my post. And because you quoted my post, I figured you were responding to me. Whatever.

GeeJay
2008-07-26, 17:16
Sorry. I obviously wasn't paying attention. The nice thing about the original idea is it would allow bumpydog to have the controller work the way he wants it without completely junking the original design.

music_addict
2008-07-27, 08:03
I really like that idea as well and it would be nice if more people would vote for that feature. :)

Husted
2008-07-28, 00:10
This is something I really could use so I've cast my vote. Here's the link again in case someone is wondering:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8878

FredFredrickson
2008-07-28, 08:11
Voted. Let's make party mode happen!

Dean100
2008-07-28, 10:56
Placed my vote.

Lets get the party started!

Jonnio
2008-07-28, 16:26
voted as well...I also like play doing play next vs. play now.

shamasuva
2008-07-29, 12:36
Why not buy a cheap, programmable remote, and configure that remote so that the play button maps to the "add" function on the SB? Then, hide the real remote during the party?

simbo
2008-07-29, 13:09
Why not buy a cheap, programmable remote, and configure that remote so that the play button maps to the "add" function on the SB? Then, hide the real remote during the party?
No good for Receivers - they don't do IR.

GeeJay
2008-07-29, 20:10
Since I have a mix of SB3s and a Duet, I could probably get by with that in the short run. But...the Controller is the cool device that everyone wants to pick up and play with, and I want them to do just that. It's a bit easier for the novice to navigate, too.

Letten
2008-07-31, 03:20
Hi,

I would prefer a solution that keeps all the normal functionality of:

"add" = add to bottom of playlist
"add (hold)" = add to top of playlist (version 7.1)
"play" = delete playlist, add to new playlist

The only thing that a "party mode" needs to do when pressing "play" is to display a question for the user "Play and delete current playlist" "Yes or No". The user would then have to use the scrollwheel to toggle between yes and no and press centerbutton to select answer.

This way users are warned but You/they still have the option to go foreward if thats what they really want.

Call it partymode, warning or request for confirmation, but keep it as an option in the settings menu.

I think this is better than having to go back into setting (possibly entering password as suggested somewhere) remove partymode, find the song/album again, press play (removing old playlist), then back into settings to put partymode back on.

My 2 cents.

/Letten

simbo
2008-07-31, 04:05
The only thing that a "party mode" needs to do when pressing "play" is to display a question for the user "Play and delete current playlist" "Yes or No". The user would then have to use the scrollwheel to toggle between yes and no and press centerbutton to select answer.

Interesting solution, Letten. The only thing I would say is that if this approach is considered, the "No" option should be the default. This would prevent double-selecting (something I've seen if there's a little lag on the Controller) wiping out the playlist.

slydog75
2008-07-31, 04:20
This sounds like a great option! However, do I need to create a new account to vote for it? I'm lazy, that's probably not going to happen.

MrSinatra
2008-07-31, 04:20
if there was a party mode plugin, surely it could have all the options to allow people to map the buttons to whatever functions they wanted.

one thing that might be cool would be for the now playing screen to also show "whats next" (think tetris :)

Letten
2008-07-31, 04:25
Interesting solution, Letten. The only thing I would say is that if this approach is considered, the "No" option should be the default. This would prevent double-selecting (something I've seen if there's a little lag on the Controller) wiping out the playlist.

For sure "No" should be the default answer.

I've thought more about the exact phrase to use, and I think it might be unwise to use the word "delete", some people might think they are about to physicaly delete the files from the harddrive :-). Maybe something like this would be better:

"Replace current playlist of xx songs" Yes or No.

/Letten

FredFredrickson
2008-07-31, 06:34
I would prefer my party mode to have the option to be more strict. If it's at any party I usually have- the problem is that some people accidentally clear the playlist cause they don't know what they're doing. And then some people think they've got better music in mind than what's playing, and WANT to delete the list.

So party mode should allow to protect against the people who don't know any better, but also should allow to enforce that we listen to songs, for those who wish to kill the playlist and put gansta rap on instead...

A better option would be to allow the "next" and "previous" buttons to continue working. If you're in a jam, and want to play the next song immediately, click skip to the next song. But never, ever, clear the playlist. Allow somebody with the password to do that!

Someone also mentioned an idea of making (+) add to the end of the list, and clicking (play) adding as next in the list. This sounds like a decent default action, more than just party mode... But I think that there should be options, so you can set just what the buttons do- both in regular mode, and in party mode. Personally, if I have a party, I want both (+) and (Play) to add to the end of the list, to avoid people usurping other people's music choices. But if they're customizable, then there isn't a problem.

Also- is there a way to enforce only adding one song at a time? I don't want people to accidentally add an entire album to a party list...

Letten
2008-07-31, 07:19
I would prefer my party mode to have the option to be more strict. If it's at any party I usually have- the problem is that some people accidentally clear the playlist cause they don't know what they're doing.

Well, the warning should be able to take care of that!

And then some people think they've got better music in mind than what's playing, and WANT to delete the list.

Don't invite them next time ;-). Anyway they could also mess things up using "add (hold)" to add to the top of the playlist (ver. 7.1). So! don't invite :-)

A better option would be to allow the "next" and "previous" buttons to continue working. If you're in a jam, and want to play the next song immediately, click skip to the next song.

I agree.

But never, ever, clear the playlist. Allow somebody with the password to do that!

I don't agree, it's to complex:
go back into settings
find partymode
enter password
clear playlist
back out again, and find the song/album you wanted to hear
press play

Someone also mentioned an idea of making (+) add to the end of the list, and clicking (play) adding as next in the list. This sounds like a decent default action, more than just party mode...

This is already implemented nicely in ver. 7.1 with add (hold)

But I think that there should be options, so you can set just what the buttons do- both in regular mode, and in party mode.

Again the menus to control of all this would be way to complex for my taste.
"Simple is beautifull"

Personally, if I have a party, I want both (+) and (Play) to add to the end of the list, to avoid people usurping other people's music choices. But if they're customizable, then there isn't a problem.

I think the kind of parties and "friends" You have are different from mine ;-) .
I don't think your scenario would happen that often at my house, possibly after a few beers ;-), but after a couple of times i think people will stop passing the controller to thoose with let's say "special" music taste or anti social behavior putting their music in front of others :-).

And anyway if everybody on the dancefloor is having a great time because ABBA's "Dancing Queen" is playing and they shout for moore ABBA when the next (boring) song in the playlist starts, I would really like to be able to put som more ABBA on top of the list. In your scenario You would have to go back into setting, password, clear playlist, find ABBA, add.... by the time youre ready most people have left the dancefloor i guess :-)

/Letten

Pale Blue Ego
2008-07-31, 07:19
Also- is there a way to enforce only adding one song at a time? I don't want people to accidentally add an entire album to a party list...

Or an entire Artist, or Genre, or Year :)

bumpydog
2008-07-31, 07:30
Someone also mentioned an idea of making (+) add to the end of the list, and clicking (play) adding as next in the list. This sounds like a decent default action, more than just party mode...

I think that would be me :o)

In my opinion the only way a playlist should get cleared should be via a specific menu option. If this is true then all our problems go away.

Dean100
2008-07-31, 09:41
I think that almost all of these suggestions would work. I just don't want people pressing the play button and wiping out the entire play list. :)

GeeJay
2008-07-31, 19:41
Hi,

I would prefer a solution that keeps all the normal functionality of:

"add" = add to bottom of playlist
"add (hold)" = add to top of playlist (version 7.1)
"play" = delete playlist, add to new playlist

This way users are warned but You/they still have the option to go foreward if thats what they really want.

Call it partymode, warning or request for confirmation, but keep it as an option in the settings menu.

I think this is better than having to go back into setting (possibly entering password as suggested somewhere) remove partymode, find the song/album again, press play (removing old playlist), then back into settings to put partymode back on.

My 2 cents.

/Letten

I think the whole point of the OP's suggestion is to have ultimate control in the hands of the owner. It SHOULD be difficult to erase the playlist in Party Mode...if you don't want that level of difficulty, don't enable Party Mode.

Now, I do think your idea of a warning before the playlist is removed is a great idea...for the default (normal) setting. Half the time I hit Play in the middle of a playlist, I don't mean to do that. Hitting it twice to confirm it wouldn't bother me at all. That's a suggestion that I might add to my enhancement request, although I suppose it deserves its own report.

Khuli
2008-08-01, 01:43
I think that would be me :o)

Technically it might have been me ;)
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=268067&postcount=2

ZenRhapsody
2008-08-03, 12:53
I know we all want 'owner' like controls at parties, but some of this password stuff can get ridiculous quickly. I want my party guests to leave the party wanting to BUY a duet! Not thinking it's too damn complicated to operate!

I am a fairly new Duet owner, and I myself have on several occasions hit the play button when I intended to just 'add'.

What about some kind of auto save feature? So if anyone accidently deletes a playlist (or switches to internet radio, etc), you can reasonably retrieve the last playlist (or last several playlists). Something like an autosave every five minutes and keeping the last 12 auto playlists could be cool.

Though I'm happy with the confirmation option myself.

Kuben72
2008-08-03, 13:01
Couldn't all this be solved if it was possible to add songs to a predefined playlist instead of the one that is ready to be played right now?

I mean if you could add to a saved playlist then you wouldn't have to worry about someone pressing play.

Philip Meyer made the Playlist manager for the SB3 which works like this. IMO if that plugin could work on the Duet then the problem would be solved.

Dean100
2008-08-07, 08:16
bump bump bump

simbo
2008-08-07, 09:02
bump bump bump
What's with all this bumping already? :-) It's been raised in the bug db (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8878). I think any discussions over the best way of implementing should be kept there, otherwise it's all going to get very confusing and good ideas could get lost.

GeeJay
2008-08-07, 18:58
Perhaps Dean100 is simply trying to raise awareness of the enhancement request for those who may not have seen it before. I agree that substantive discussion of the particulars should be included there rather than discussed here, for the reason cited.

pjzzz
2008-09-14, 06:32
Just to get some more attention to this req.
I can't imagine that there's only 23 people that would like to have a partymode
option implemented. So if you would like to get it, vote for it!

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8878

iballan
2008-09-14, 09:28
I'm in, and have voted.

Gixser
2008-09-21, 18:51
Something like this would be most welcome at parties in my house. I really would like to put into a party mode/restricted mode.

wilgartw
2008-12-30, 15:33
has anything happened on this, i could really do with it for tomorrow.

MeSue
2008-12-30, 16:22
has anything happened on this, i could really do with it for tomorrow.

It has been added as a beta (not finalized) feature in 7.3+. Described here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/PlaylistModePartyMode

nlscarter
2009-09-08, 13:32
Hi,

Although I think the idea is great, I can't get on with party mode as it is, unless I'm doing something stupid (probable!)

When I'm not having a party and want to add a few albums to a playlist I struggle.
I set playlist mode to disabled and when i press plus on an album nothing.
I set playlist mode to Off and when i press plus on an album i get a message playlist mode on, press plus again, nothing.
I set playlist mode to On and when press plus on an album, nothing
I set playlist mode to party - as expected plus on an album = nothing, only single track additions.
Can i get rid of this addon? its just causing me frustration!

I'm using Version 7.3 r6038

Thanks
Neal