PDA

View Full Version : A couple of issues with SB3

HerrRay
2008-05-12, 22:43
Hi all,

Just bought a SB3. Generally I'm very excited about the SB3/SqueezeCenter approach, the openness, tweakability, and supposedly the audio quality. I discovered a couple of issues though with my box, and before bothering tech support or my supplier (in The Netherlands), I just wanted to check whether this is typical of the general build quality or that I just bought a lemon:

- My SB3 came with one of those new power supplies with removable mains connectors. The connector that goes into the SB3 however seems a bit flaky, when I put just a little bit of pressure on it (while being plugged in) it looses its connection and my SB3 reboots. Is anybody else having that?

- When I want to use the optical out, its seems that the receptacle does not allow for a very snug fit. Also in this case, when I try to just move the connector a little, the digital signal looses sync. I'm using one of those Xtreme toslink cables and it really cannot be pushed in any further. (Didn't try the coaxial connector yet...)

- Is the sound quality of the headphones output really so different compared to the normal line out?

How can I find out what the latest motherboard revision is?

Look forward to be hearing other people's experiences...

Thanks!

Sike
2008-05-13, 00:01
Look forward to be hearing other people's experiences...?

First off, I only own Slimdevices branded Squeezeboxes, apart from the Duet.
I have been using Squeezeboxes for around 6 or 7 years - Trust me: You are in good hands!

- My SB3 came with one of those new power supplies with removable mains connectors. The connector that goes into the SB3 however seems a bit flaky, when I put just a little bit of pressure on it (while being plugged in) it looses its connection and my SB3 reboots. Is anybody else having that?

Although I have never had any problems, there have been issues do a search of the forums, but I'm sure that someone will chime in soon

- When I want to use the optical out, its seems that the receptacle does not allow for a very snug fit. Also in this case, when I try to just move the connector a little, the digital signal looses sync. I'm using one of those Xtreme toslink cables and it really cannot be pushed in any further. (Didn't try the coaxial connector yet...)

Mine fits quite snugly, Wiggling it does not destort the signal

- Is the sound quality of the headphones output really so different compared to the normal line out?

Not to me. :)

pablolie
2008-05-13, 10:20
> I'm very excited about the SB3/SqueezeCenter approach

the sb3 is a fantastic product indeed - i beyond love the concept: it combines awesome convenience with the ability to tailor sound quality to one's preference and budget...

> ... connector that goes into the SB3 however seems a bit flaky
> ... Is anybody else having that?

i own 3 SB3s and built quality has always been excellent.

> ... optical out, its seems that the receptacle does not allow for a very
> snug fit... digital signal looses sync ...

i have never seen that, all of mine have a very good fit despite the fact i have reconfigured them and taken cables in and out (incl optical) with regularity. i could not live with that, and would exchange the box.

> ... sound quality of the headphones output really so different compared to
> the normal line out?

personally i find the headphone sound quality very compromised, whereas the line out is quite amazing for a device in this price range. so in one of my SB3s i use a headphone amplifier off the line out, and find the sound *much* superior compared to the headphone connector.

kh6idf
2008-05-13, 19:30
The power plug for my SB3 fits very securely. You must have a different model power supply and maybe the plug is a little undersized. I would ask the local distributor if they can send you another.

I found the optical cable had to be pushed in until it clicked into place, otherwise it was loose as you described. I normally use the coaxial output but tried the optical once to see if I noticed any difference (they both sounded the same to me),

HerrRay
2008-05-13, 21:30
Thanks for the replies!

> I'm very excited about the SB3/SqueezeCenter approach

> ... sound quality of the headphones output really so different compared to
> the normal line out?

personally i find the headphone sound quality very compromised, whereas the line out is quite amazing for a device in this price range. so in one of my SB3s i use a headphone amplifier off the line out, and find the sound *much* superior compared to the headphone connector.

Same experience here...

The power plug for my SB3 fits very securely. You must have a different model power supply and maybe the plug is a little undersized. I would ask the local distributor if they can send you another.

I found the optical cable had to be pushed in until it clicked into place, otherwise it was loose as you described. I normally use the coaxial output but tried the optical once to see if I noticed any difference (they both sounded the same to me),

Yes, I did push it in until it clicked, but even then it exhibited the problematic behaviour when wiggling around. Mismatch of cable/receptacle perhaps.

Anyway, I will be looking for the device to be replaced, perhaps another one is mechanically more up to spec...

Thanks again.

Sike
2008-05-14, 00:20

Fair enough. One of my squeezeboxes is connected to a Denon amp by line out and i have a cable running of the headphone jack from the same SB3 to a Teak R1 (Little Radio with line in) in the kitchen. I don't notice much difference, but the R1 is not really a good reference.

morris_minor
2008-05-14, 01:58

Yes! My SB3 power connector is flaky, too. I need to set it "just right" for it to work OK without re-booting etc. But since I rarely touch it I haven't really found it a problem. But it's interesting to know the fault is not just with mine . . .

This aside I love my squeezeboxes - apart from the sound quality (which is top notch IMO) they've altered the way I listen to music - for the better!

carrera
2008-05-14, 08:48
Yes! My SB3 power connector is flaky, too. I need to set it "just right" for it to work OK without re-booting etc. But since I rarely touch it I haven't really found it a problem. But it's interesting to know the fault is not just with mine . . .

This aside I love my squeezeboxes - apart from the sound quality (which is top notch IMO) they've altered the way I listen to music - for the better!

Hi,
I'm from Germany, and bought my first SB3 december last year,in the US and I had absolutely the same prob with the power connector.

I recognized the fault too late, so i was already back in GY.

After a contact with Logitech website, i got a new power supply, which fits well.

So go to your dealer, or Slim Devices, they will fix the prob.

regards
carrera

HerrRay
2008-08-08, 01:00
Hi,

Just wanted to tell you that I did went back to my supplier and they gave me a new SB3, no questions asked really. Good experience! (Wifisound in The Netherlands.)

No power supply issues anymore. Optical out is still flaky, but it might be my cable. Planning to use the coaxial out.

Sorry for the late follow-up, but was abroad for a while, and only managed to get the thing exchanged a couple of weeks ago...

Everything is set up now, and works smoothly. One thing though: the "Output level is fixed at 100%" doesn't stick upon reboot of my server (Squeezecenter 7.1 on Mac OS X 10.5.4)... is this a known issue? Permission setting perhaps?

Thanks!

Nonreality
2008-08-08, 01:48
I've had the same problem with my power connector. If I move the SB it will reboot every time if I'm not real careful. I should get it replaced but I don't want to be without the SB3 while I ship it back and forth. I'm worried about it lasting so I really need to do something about it. It fits good but the lightest wiggle and power goes off. :( Other than that I love it. I haven't ever tried the headphone jack.

Nonreality
2008-08-09, 00:46
I've had the same problem with my power connector. If I move the SB it will reboot every time if I'm not real careful. I should get it replaced but I don't want to be without the SB3 while I ship it back and forth. I'm worried about it lasting so I really need to do something about it. It fits good but the lightest wiggle and power goes off. :( Other than that I love it. I haven't ever tried the headphone jack.Has anyone dealt with Logitech with something like this? Will they send a new power supply and then let me send back he faulty one? I know some will but haven't tried yet with Logitech. It would be the best for me as I really don't want to be without it.