PDA

View Full Version : OT wireless network question

cliveb
2008-05-12, 03:35
This is off-topic, but I hope someone here will be able to point me in the right direction.

I (foolishly) offered to do some research for a friend about his wireless network options. He has Netgear ADSL wireless router, but because his house is big it doesn't reach everywhere. So he bought an Airport Extreme base station and has this linked to the router by wired ethernet. At the moment this provides him with two separate wireless networks. He would prefer to have just one wireless network that covers the whole house+garden.

I've looked at a number of pages on Wikipedia but can't find out how this should work. I don't think he wants WDS (which appears to involve the WAPs talking to each other via wireless). Can anyone suggest other online sites that might explain this subject area?

bobkoure
2008-05-12, 07:05
One way to have a really big 802.11g network is to use repeaters.
The problem is, (AFAIK - it's been a couple of years since I really looked into this) boxes sold as routers are 1) pretty expensive and 2) tend to only work with other routers from that particular manufacturer.
To get around this, I'd suggest getting Linksys WRT54GL routers and installing open source firmware. At least some of the firmware will allow you to put a GL into "repeater" mode, so your friend can then add WRTs as necessary to get coverage.
I'm out of date with the various versions of firmware. I'm using a version called "tofu" and it's been "just working" for, hmmm... 3 years or so now.
In general, though, the GL version runs Linux, so there's a goodly sized community that knows how to change/add things. Moving to o/s firmware is as simple as telling the router to "update firmware" and then pointing it at the o/s stuff.
Google for Linksys WRT54GL and start reading.

cliveb
2008-05-12, 07:30
To get around this, I'd suggest getting Linksys WRT54GL routers and installing open source firmware....
Moving to o/s firmware is as simple as telling the router to "update firmware" and then pointing it at the o/s stuff.
Updating router firmware doesn't phase me - I run a Buffalo with Tomato firmware myself. But changing the hardware isn't an option - my friend already has the Netgear router and the Airport Extreme. We're just looking for a way to configure them as a single network with two access points. I *think* what's needed is "WiFi roaming", but it's difficult to find out info about setting up roaming with a diversity of manufacturers' hardware. (Pretty much all the stuff I can find about roaming starts from the premise that you use multiple access points of the same make and model).