PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player

Nash
2008-05-12, 02:23
Is it possible to use windows media player as an alternative to squeezecenter, I cannot get squeezecenter to play WAV files so thought this may be a good solution.

funkstar
2008-05-12, 03:16
SqueezeBoxes require SqueezeCenter, so no, you can't use Media Player.

Is there a specific reason for using WAV files? I would recomend compressing them to FLAC then you can embed meta data for the files. It will also reduce the storage space needed by about half. Oh and FLAC is lossless too so you won't loose any quality.

Teus de Jong
2008-05-12, 03:43
Of course SC can play wav-files.

1. First go to settings, advanced, File Types and make sure at the WAV entry Native is enabled (for testing purposes I would disable the other two options, especially MP3 -- you don't want SC converting wav to mp3.
2. Because, as funkstar says, wav-files don't have metadata, I think the only way to play them is via Music Folder from the main menu (from there you can add them to a playlist and save that list).

That said, I would certainly convert my files to flac for the reasons funkstar gives.

Teus

Siduhe
2008-05-12, 03:52
2. Because, as funkstar says, wav-files don't have metadata, I think the only way to play them is via Music Folder from the main menu (from there you can add them to a playlist and save that list).

Teus

The guess tags functionality should enable .wav files to be played from the main Library rather than via Browse Music Folder, if your files are organised and structured in a specific way. Enter your folder structure in the Guess Tags bit (Settings/Advanced/Formatting) and do a full clear and rescan.

Nash
2008-05-13, 02:35
Thanks guys,
am very excited about having my entire CD collection available without having to get up to change a disc, so choosing the correct file type before ripping them all is pretty important.

I was considering ripping them all in WAV format using windows media player but since your comments have been having a nosey at flac file info and rippers.

I found that the (free) exact audio copy program is quite good but does not attach the artwork which is a pity because I enjoy that feature on the duet controller.

Is anyone aware of how to enable the artwork and metadata to be attached? Should I be using a different flac ripper?

Siduhe
2008-05-13, 02:46
I use Album Art Aggregator post ripping (also free).

http://team.thenexusnet.com/nexus/AAA/

DB Poweramp gets good reviews on here, will rip to flac and download album art, but I think you have to pay for it.

Teus de Jong
2008-05-13, 05:29
dbPoweramp has a free version. I believe it works with freedb to download album art. You can upgrade for $18 to the powerpack that adds downloading tags and album art from AMG. For $28 you upgrade to the reference version, which adds - among other things - two core ripping.

I'm a happy user of the reference version. You could try the free version and upgrade if you think you can use the extra's.

Teus

aubuti
2008-05-13, 06:06
Album Art Aggregator is great for when you are getting started and have hundreds or thousands of CDs that need album art, but I've found that when subsequently adding a few CDs at a time it's just as easy to go grab the album art from amazon.com or allmusic.com while you're ripping, and save it in the folder as folder.jpg or cover.jpg.

slimkid
2008-05-13, 08:16
mp3tag would pick up album art with other tags from a plenty of sources.

K