PDA

View Full Version : Playing WAV files via squeezecenter

Nash
2008-05-12, 02:19
Is it possible to get squeezecenter to see and play WAV files?

Pale Blue Ego
2008-05-12, 06:50
Absolutely. The Squeezebox handles WAV files natively. The only issue with WAV files is that they don't support tags like Artist, Album, Year, Genre, etc. That eliminates one of the real benefits of digital music, the ability to find, sort, and play your music using different criteria. Like maybe you want to hear all your Country music from 1978. That's very easy to do if the files are tagged. But if they are WAV files you pretty much have to go just by the file and folder names.

Nash
2008-05-13, 02:23
Thanks very much, have been investigating Flac files and have found a free flac ripper called 'exact audio copy'. Only trouble is that although the album data is retained, the album artwork does not seem to be imported. This is a pity because the artwork is instantly recognisable when searching.

Does anyone know of a flac ripper that retrieves artwork?

MuckleEck
2008-05-13, 03:10
If you are using Windows, try dBPoweramp, it accesses the AMG database and can pickup most artwork (although as ever for classical music not 100%) it also uses AccurateRIP as does EAC.

Nash
2008-05-14, 03:30
Thanks MuckleEck,
will give dbpoweramp a try. I have t say that I can hardly pick the difference between flac and MP3 playback quality even when ripping with EAC.

The quality is ok but since the difference between files is not so noticeable I'm not so sure that going to the trouble of ripping to flac files is worthwhile. Is the difference in quality usually more noticable? My hi fi is pretty reasonable so I have no issues there (it think). Is it worthwhile (for sound quality) connecting the duet with the network cable?

Espen
2008-05-14, 03:45
Can be hard to notice a difference. Depends on enviroment and hardware. I
rip to flac, so that I later can easily make a copy in any other format,
maybe lossy, whitout using an already lossy source (my CDs are stored in
the attic).

aubuti
2008-05-14, 06:23
Thanks MuckleEck,
will give dbpoweramp a try. I have t say that I can hardly pick the difference between flac and MP3 playback quality even when ripping with EAC.

The quality is ok but since the difference between files is not so noticeable I'm not so sure that going to the trouble of ripping to flac files is worthwhile. Is the difference in quality usually more noticable? My hi fi is pretty reasonable so I have no issues there (it think). Is it worthwhile (for sound quality) connecting the duet with the network cable?
There is a difference between flac and mp3. Whether that difference is noticeable depends on, among other things (a) bitrate of the mp3, (b) your audio system, including room acoustics, (c) the music you're listening to, (d) your ears, and (e) how closely you're listening.

IMO, if you're going to rip, you might as well rip to flac. Even if you can't hear the difference today, maybe you'll get a better system or your ears will get better at picking up the differences. You only want to rip once, so why throw away some data/music when it doesn't really take any longer to rip to flac? And if you already have .wav files, you don't need to re-rip at all -- you can just compress them using flac.

The sound quality is not affected by whether the SB Receiver (SBR) is connected by cable or wireless. That is, unless the wireless connection is so bad that you are getting audio dropouts. When wireless is the problem the impact on sound quality is jarring, not subtle.