PDA

View Full Version : Help with buying decisoin

harleyman
2008-05-08, 19:31
I recently bought a ROKU Soundbridge and I'm very unhappy with it. Thinking about upgrading to the logitech system want to make sure this really works before I spend more cash

pfarrell
2008-05-08, 19:39
harleyman wrote:
> I recently bought a ROKU Soundbridge and I'm very unhappy with it.
> Thinking about upgrading to the logitech system want to make sure this
> really works before I spend more cash

I've bought five of them. They really work.

But you need a server. Don't start with a cheap NAS, use an old, cheap PC.

You can install SqueezeCenter for free without buying anything. Do it.
Use Softsqueeze or SqueezeSlave and see how it works.

But a squeezebox or Duet. try it, send it back within 30 days if you
don't like it.

There is no reason to not know and try it.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

jsprag
2008-05-08, 19:48
I recently bought a ROKU Soundbridge and I'm very unhappy with it. Thinking about upgrading to the logitech system want to make sure this really works before I spend more cash

They offer a thirty day satisfaction guarantee. Try it and find out.

If your interested in the Squeezebox classic then download and install Squeezecenter and try out Softsqueeze, the software emulator of the SB3.

harleyman
2008-05-08, 19:48
sounds like your happy with yours. I have about 50,000 songs stored on a MYBOOK 1terra hard drive hooked up to a new toshiba laptop running Vista. I'm on a wireless 11g network, still think it will do the job for me?

harleyman
2008-05-08, 19:49
looking at the web site and watched the u-tube video and I think the Duet would be a great addition to my home audio system, is this the right choice?

pfarrell
2008-05-08, 19:55
harleyman wrote:
> sounds like your happy with yours. I have about 50,000 songs stored on
> a MYBOOK 1terra hard drive hooked up to a new toshiba laptop running
> Vista. I'm on a wireless 11g network, still think it will do the job
> for me?

No, I would not use a laptop with an external disk. Rather, it might,
but I would not start with that. Laptop disks are slow, and external
disks are just one more thing to go wrong.

I have 777 albums with 9723 songs by 493 artists. all in flac, lossless.
Its on an old crock PC that I had laying arround. I would use a three
year old desktop. The OS to use is a personal choice. Use what you like.

And the more wireless you use, the more chances for problems. Its much
better to have a setup like:

old PC --> wire --> router/wifi --> squeezebox or Duet.

I strongly recommend going with a very simple setup first, get it
working, then get fancy.

You can use your nice laptop to control the SqueezeCenter. I have been
doing that for years. Just point your browser at the server and enjoy

kh6idf
2008-05-08, 20:16
It's fantastic and I've had no problems. Sound quality is as good as what you hook it up to. I'm using the digital out to an external DAC and it sounds very very good. If you get one be sure to try Pandora with it. This is the 'killer app' for the Squeezebox as far as I'm concerned. 30 day free trial but I sent in my $36 for a year's subscription on the second day!

SuperQ
2008-05-08, 23:28
What I would like to know is exactly why you're not happy with the roku?

I'll agree that you should try downloading SqueezeCenter first. If you don't like SqueezeCenter, you probably won't like the SqueezeBox any more than the roku.

peter
2008-05-09, 00:34
SuperQ wrote:
> What I would like to know is exactly why you're not happy with the
> roku?
>

Good question.

> I'll agree that you should try downloading SqueezeCenter first. If you
> don't like SqueezeCenter, you probably won't like the SqueezeBox any
> more than the roku.
>

I'm not so sure that's true. I think there are probably quite a few SB
users who hardly ever use the webinterface.

Regards,
Peter

adamarndt
2008-05-09, 01:22
I'll agree that you should try downloading SqueezeCenter first. If you don't like SqueezeCenter, you probably won't like the SqueezeBox any more than the roku.

I disagree with that on the basis of my understanding that harleyman is considering the Duet as a replacement for the Soundbridge. In my opinion the Duet definitely shouldn't be judged by Softsqueeze and the web interface.

To my mind the SB3 and earlier models are much more comparable to the Soundbridge and similar devices whereas the Duet is much more iPody - I personally bought a Duet system as my first network music player (in part) because of the display on the Controller letting the missus browse album covers to select music.

So basically I think that there are two categories of networked players - the Soundbridge/SB3 class with graphically limited displays as opposed to the Sonos/Duet type player allowing cover browsing and so forth.

As for harleymans actual question: "does the logitech system work" my answer is an emphatic YES - it just works. I have approx. 600 albums on a Synology DS207+ NAS running SC 7.0.1 connected via WiFi and I have no problems whatsoever with that setup.

jaffacake
2008-05-09, 01:46
If possible, I would suggest you try the product out in a local retail store first. If a dealer has got one setup, you can see if it has the right kind of 'feel' for you before committing to an order.

The 30-day money-back is only available online and repacking/shipping good can be a lot of hassle if you get it out of the box and just don't like it.

Howard Passman
2008-05-09, 01:49
After just getting mine working right, I believe Pfarrell gave the best advice. I started with the ReadyNAS DUO and that was my big mistake. I have since migrated to a Windows PC and everything that was supposed to work is working.

3rd party plug-ins are work! I especially wanted the XM plug-in. It took a little bit to get it working and it still must be started each time from the UI on the PC. You can save favorite stations in your "playlist", but they disappear every time you scan your music files. At least mine do.

The initial set up *can* be a bit frustrating and then again sometimes it isn't. I do recommend wiring the receiver to your network. I use static IP on my network and setting up the controller took a bit more time because you really can't do it on the initial set up. I verified this with Logitech. Could be wrong, but I didn't find away around it. If you use DHCP, you're golden quickly.

My initial set up was very frustrating, but again, I believe it was because the ReadyNAS DUO is seriously underpowered to run SC. BTW, I did upgrade the memeory to 1GB and it helped a tiny bit. Also, if you want to use any 3rd party plug-ins, getting help if you run a server is hard and some, if not all, plug-ins aren't re-written well enough to do exactly what the original was supposed to do.

Have a great weekend

Howard

jaffacake
2008-05-09, 02:42
One more thought. If/when you do try out the product, don't give up after a couple of days if you aren't impressed. It took me a good 3-4days to start getting the best from the product and it's now at the point where I'm highly unlikely to return it.

So, if you can afford the time, give it a week or so before making any decisions.

aubuti
2008-05-09, 08:17
If possible, I would suggest you try the product out in a local retail store first. If a dealer has got one setup, you can see if it has the right kind of 'feel' for you before committing to an order.
If you do this, I recommend you only do it *after* you try out Squeezecenter and SoftSqueeze (the Java-based software Squeezebox emulator) for at least several hours. It usually takes a little time to get used to navigating the menus, and doing that in a retail store is likely to be frustrating, and not give the SB a fair audition. The interface for the Duet is different, but the menu structure is almost the same.

harleyman
2008-05-09, 09:11
Appreciate all the input from everyone. My big concern now is as I've stated earlier. All my music (50,000+ songs) are stored on a MYbook 1 terrabyte external hard drive, hooked up to my new toshiba laptop. As for the questions about the ROKU soundbridge, I've had it for about a month now. It is very frustrating, finds all my files in both media center and firefly, however it will sometimes play one or two songs then stop. cant make it do what it's suppose to. I've reloaded Firefly and MediaJukebox several time with no sucess. Don't want to spend the money and have this do the same thing to me. I have too much music to use an old computer as another member suggested.

mparry
2008-05-09, 09:12
Hi Harleyman feel free to give our sales department or our tech support team a call if you like. we would more than happy to help you decide which of our products would best suit your needs. our number is (650)210-9400

peter
2008-05-09, 09:22
harleyman wrote:
> Appreciate all the input from everyone. My big concern now is as I've
> stated earlier. All my music (50,000+ songs) are stored on a MYbook 1
> terrabyte external hard drive, hooked up to my new toshiba laptop. As
> for the questions about the ROKU soundbridge, I've had it for about a
> month now. It is very frustrating, finds all my files in both media
> center and firefly, however it will sometimes play one or two songs
> then stop. cant make it do what it's suppose to. I've reloaded Firefly
> and MediaJukebox several time with no sucess. Don't want to spend the
> money and have this do the same thing to me. I have too much music to
> use an old computer as another member suggested.
>

Can't you just connect your external drive to an 'old' computer? Why
wouldn't that work? Serving audio files is not such a big deal...

Regards,
Peter

pfarrell
2008-05-09, 14:23
Can't you just connect your external drive to an 'old' computer?

I had the same idea. It should work fine.

Being conservative, I'd first just move a few albums worth of music to the old computer, and get it all working, then add the external disk. Should be easy.

Internal, external, should make very little difference, other perhaps scan time for full library processes, but they can be rare and run late and night.

norderney
2008-05-09, 15:20
Appreciate all the input from everyone. My big concern now is as I've stated earlier. All my music (50,000+ songs) are stored on a MYbook 1 terrabyte external hard drive, hooked up to my new toshiba laptop. .

I currently have 2483 albums, 31543 songs and 5212 artists on a 750Gb hard drive in a USB enclosure connected to a Dell Dimension PC running Windows Vista. This works very well. About 80% of the music files are FLAC, the remaining 20% are VBR MP3s.

I am now using a Transporter, but previously ran a SqueezeBox 1 for 3 years. I have not played any CDs in the past 3.5 years. I have even disconnected my CD player from my hi-fi system. I use a wireless connection between my Transporter and Router and I control it with a Dell Axim PDA.

y360
2008-05-10, 01:39
I'm running SC on an old IBM T42 laptop with the music stored on an external USB MyBook 500GB.
It works just fine.

harleyman
2008-05-10, 13:07
You've all helped me make my decision, so thanks again. I just ordered a Duet online last night. Can't wait for it to get here. I may need some help with the set-up, so stayed tuned.

pfarrell
2008-05-10, 13:11
harleyman wrote:
> You've all helped me make my decision, so thanks again.

You are welcome.

> I may need some help with the set-up, so stayed tuned.

Start now, so you can be ready to go when it arrives. You can do all of
the hard stuff while you wait.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

jaw5279
2008-05-10, 14:37
You've all helped me make my decision, so thanks again. I just ordered a Duet online last night. Can't wait for it to get here. I may need some help with the set-up, so stayed tuned.

While waiting for your Duet to be delivered, make sure the version of JAVA on your server/PC/Mac is up to date. I got very discouraged with my Duet until I realized I was several versions back on the older PC I was running SC 7.0. Once updated to current, all of the issues went away. This was especially true with using the XM plugin.