PDA

View Full Version : Audioengine users question

menno
2008-05-08, 02:38
Hi,

I use the Audioengine 5 speakers with Squeezebox in the bedroom. Sound is great, but I have had one problem, and was wondering if others get the same.

When the speakers go into sleep mode after no music has been played for ten minutes, there is a powering off noise. On my first set of speakers, this noise was there when I got them, but it got louder over time. I sometimes use the sleep function on the Squeezebox to listen to music whilst falling asleep, and the noise would actually wake me up! So I received a replacement pair from my supplier.

The new set of speakers also had this noise, but much quieter. But I now get the feeling it is getting louder again.

Does anyone else with Audioengine speakers experience this problem?

Cheers,
Menno

MuckleEck
2008-05-08, 02:45
Menno,

I had the same issue with a pair of AudioEngine 2s in that they would make a slight popping sound.

I set the squeezebox to turn off the outputs when it went to sleep and this seemed to stop it.

menno
2008-05-08, 02:55
On my first set of speakers it made the pop even with the Squeezebox not connected. ie I played music, and then unplugged the Squeezebox from the speakers, and after ten mins, still a popping noise.

But I'll give that a try when I get home. Didnt realise you could setup the Squeezebox to switch of the outputs when it goes to sleep.

Thanks,
Menno

nwplace
2008-05-08, 14:17
I recently purchased a pair of Audioegine 5s and they most definitely hiss/hum but do not pop. The hiss/hum is, however, too loud when trying to sleep.

peter
2008-05-08, 22:10
nwplace wrote:
> I recently purchased a pair of Audioegine 5s and they most definitely
> hiss/hum but do not pop. The hiss/hum is, however, too loud when
> trying to sleep.
>

That's annoying indeed, I had the same problem when I used powered PC
speakers in my bed room: an annoying hum. Now I use a Sonic State T-Amp
with two passive speakers in my bed room and they're totally quiet
unless I stick my head in the speaker cone, the T-amp uses very little
energy so I keep it switched on all the time.

Regards,
Peter

NewBuyer
2008-05-08, 23:36
Audioegine 5s... most definitely hiss/hum... The hiss/hum is, however, too loud...

Good to know - thanks for posting this.

menno
2008-05-09, 09:15
I recently purchased a pair of Audioegine 5s and they most definitely hiss/hum but do not pop. The hiss/hum is, however, too loud when trying to sleep.

Mine dont hiss/hum when in standby, but just pop when they switch into power-saving mode.

If yours hiss/hum, you should get them exchanged I think.

Do yours not pop when the switch into power-saving mode?

I tried with setting the Squeezebox to turn off the outputs, and it made no difference to the popping.

Any other AudioEngine users have this problem?