PDA

View Full Version : Apple question about signal strength

wspitzig
2008-05-07, 15:03
I am seeing signal strength down to 28%. The high is never more than 56%. I do much better with my laptop which I understand is probably a matter of the antenna size and position.

I have seen on the forums different methods of trying to improve the antenna within the SB device. None of them, especially the ones that break the warranty, sound attractive.

I really like the Duet and am more than willing to spend a $100 (for an Airport Express) to improve the situation. If it will improve the situation...

Does this make sense? I already have an Airport Extreme. I could buy an Airport Express to use as a repeater (or in Apple-speak a wireless distribution system). I could connect the Duet to the Airport Express with an RJ45.

Since Airport Extreme and Airport Express are Wireless N and since I will be using the antenna in the Airport Express, will this provide an improvement in signal strength? Big improvement?

Thanks.

radish
2008-05-07, 17:02
Couple of things - firstly you can't compare signal strength readings from one device to another, it's meaningless. So your laptop may or may not actually be getting a better signal than the SBR.

Personally I doubt the airport express will get a better signal than the SBR, but it's possible. If you're having problems with dropouts I'd look at what you can do to improve the locations of the devices, look at switching channels, etc. You could also look at powerline/homeplug devices which usually work very well.

wspitzig
2008-05-07, 17:40
Yes. You are right. MacWireless sells a product that should do the job.

http://www.macwireless.com/html/products/powerline/pna_200.php

Thanks.

snoogly
2008-05-08, 04:08
An Express helped with SB3 reception in my bedroom. At first I tried the Express right next to the SB, but that only bumped the signal a little. The real improvement came when I plugged in the Express in the hall outside the bedroom. Thick concrete walls in my (Tokyo) apartment were eating signal strength, so it was down to 25 in the bedroom. With the Express in the hall, most walls were bypassed. Now signal strength is over 80.

I use a g, not n, network - but I wouldn't be able to use the SB in the bedroom without the Express.

The Express is no better than the SB at receiving a signal, but strategically placed it can help push a strong signal to the SB.

wspitzig
2008-05-08, 11:01
Thanks for reply

rblnr
2008-06-05, 14:35
I've been messing around w/an Airport Express to augment my Airport Extreme as a range extender. I have three SBs around the house, one right next to the Extreme.

Some questions:

- seems that all the SBs pick either the Extreme or the Express to latch onto. The location of the Express favors a couple of SBs, the Extreme, the other SB. Would specifying the MAC addresses of specific SBs in my setup toward the Extreme in some cases and the Express in another address this? I see a tab for devices or clients in the Airport utility that would seem to address this. Does this makes sense to try?

- Those powerline devices are tempting -- any reason to think they might corrupt the signal and affect sound quality in any way?

thanks all

danco
2008-06-05, 23:17
Would specifying the MAC addresses of specific SBs in my setup toward the Extreme in some cases and the Express in another address this?

This works fine. I've done it myself for a similar issue. You just have to remember when you get a new device to add its MAC address to one or the other Airport

- Those powerline devices are tempting -- any reason to think they might corrupt the signal and affect sound quality in any way?

I can't see any theoretical reason why it would. And in practise a fair number of people are using powerline and are satisfied with it.

rblnr
2008-06-06, 04:36
Thanks for the information. I realize now that the powerline solution probably won't work for me because the room where my ethernet connection is location is on a different electrical panel than where my SBs are located. Otherwise this would be perfect -- major bummer.

I look into messing w/the MAC addresses to see if distributing the wireless load helps.