PDA

View Full Version : How does the Squeezebox Receiver play lossless files?

verypsb
2008-05-06, 13:28
Hi,

Can someone tell me how the Squeezebox Receiver play lossless files like .flac, lossless WMA, Apple lossless?
Does the SqueezeCenter server transcode all files to mp3? That would make the use of lossless files quite useless.

jaffacake
2008-05-06, 13:35
Hi,

Can someone tell me how the Squeezebox Receiver play lossless files like .flac, lossless WMA, Apple lossless?
Does the SqueezeCenter server transcode all files to mp3? That would make the use of lossless files quite useless.

The SBR will play FLAC format natively, no transcoding required.

Other lossless codecs need to be transcoded, this is normally done to flac; but can be converted to wav if desired.

Last time I looked WMA Lossless transcoding is only available on Windows platform SqueezeCenter installations, Apple Lossless will transcode on all but requires a fair amount of CPU to convert so it's not ideal for use on an NAS installed SC.

aubuti
2008-05-06, 13:44
Like jaffacake says, SBR will play flac natively, so you preserve the lossless quality and don't need to transcode on the server. However, if you want to transcode to mp3 (say, you are having bandwidth problems, or you are trying to stream to a remote player over the internet) you can do so by using the bitrate limiting options, which is set on a player-by-player basis.

verypsb
2008-05-06, 13:48
How does this transcoding process work? When are files transcoded to another format? How can SqueezeCenter determine which codecs are supported in a player/receiver/software?

radish
2008-05-06, 14:01
When are files transcoded to another format?

While they're being played.

How can SqueezeCenter determine which codecs are supported in a player/receiver/software?
SC knows what formats each type of player (SB/SB2/SB3/SBR/TP/etc) supports and so can transcode as appropriate. You can also configure it to use specific formats if you don't like the defaults.

th00ht
2008-05-15, 16:15
Last time I looked WMA Lossless transcoding is only available on Windows platform SqueezeCenter installations,

So playing lossless WMA files will need a "transcoding" on the SC? (or on my SB3?)

JJZolx
2008-05-15, 18:40
So playing lossless WMA files will need a "transcoding" on the SC? (or on my SB3?)

Yes, WMA lossless must be transcoded at the server. If I recall correctly, lossy WMA native support was added to the SB2/3/Transporter/SBR firmware mostly to handle Internet radio streams using that format.