PDA

View Full Version : Issues getting Duet Reciever to play music

Markcu
2008-05-05, 06:25
Hi All,

I was wondering of anyone could perhaps offer me some help.

Problem,

The reciever dosn't seem to play music.

Background

Squeeze Centre is running on the laptop and can see some local music. This plays without issue on the laptop when running softsqueeze. I can also play internet radio on the laptop when using softsqueeze.

Squeeze Centre has found all the album artwork just fine and is able to display this.

I have the controller connected to the network via wireless, and this allows me to control softsqueeze just fine, all the album artwork appears on the controller and I can navigate and select at will.

The Reciever is (I belive) connected fine to the network, it has a white thing lit up on the front. Squeezecentre also says it's connected.

However when I try select it as a player on the controller and select music the following happens:-

There is no output from the analog output.
There is no output from the optical output.
the controller says it's playing the file, but when the elapsed time gets to about 30 seconds it resets and goes back to 0.00

The same symptoms exist on the 7.0, 7.01, and 7.1
The same symptoms exist on XP, Vista 32 ultimate, Vista 64 ultimate SP1
The same syptoms exist on both of the recivers I have.

The amp and speakers have been tested and are know to be good.

Kit and Setup

I have a Vista Ultimate Laptop running 7.1 squeeze centre, a netgear DG834G broadband router (with integrall 4 port switch) and a squeeze box duet.

The broadband router is connected to the phoneline for it's internet connection.

The laptop is connected to the router.
The Reciever is connected to the router.
The controller is connected to the router via wireless.

The laptop can connect to the internet without issue.

The only other thing I can see that may be an issue is that Squeeze Centre says that LAME is not installed, but I cant find a way to simply do this.

I have called Logitech and they didn't know what the issue is....:(
Can anyone here please help? What else do I need to provide/ tell you?

Many Thanks

Mark.

jaffacake
2008-05-05, 06:31
Ignoring the SB controller for a moment, can you use the SC web interface succesfully?

Can you get it to play music on the Receiver?

I've had numerous issues with the wifi controller, but find the web controller to be pretty reliable.

If you can't get it to play from the SC web interface, I'm inclined to think you have a hardware problem of some kind - my SBR works pretty well.

Markcu
2008-05-05, 06:42
Hi,

Thanks for the swift reply.

No it dosn't play from the web interface, the same symptoms exist.
In fact when I play from the web interface, the controller knows I have done this and puts up the 'now playing' screen with the music I have selected on.

I would be inclined to agree with the hardware issue, but I have two brand new recivers that have exactly the same issue...which leads me more to think it isn't hadware, unless both have failed in exactly the same way. Possible but unlikely.

Mark.

Markcu
2008-05-05, 06:56
in addition to the info above

I can switch the recievers on and off via the controller ok.

When I ask the reciever to play the light on the front goes bright, but again no output.

KuEdE
2008-05-05, 08:04
It could be the same problem as i had:
(Wrong initialization of the SPDIF and DACs)

Look here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=45157

Solution:
Factory Reset

Markcu
2008-05-05, 09:07
Thanks but I dont think it is this.

It affects two recievers not just one, and I'm using Duets, not SB3's there is only a factory reset on the controller which I've tried.

Many Thanks though

Siduhe
2008-05-05, 10:38
Do you have virus software or internet security installed? Could it be blocking the play command? Try adding a specific exception for Squeezecenter.exe and possibly scanner.exe (when committing a scan) to see if this helps.

If not, try to play a song, then go to Settings/Advanced/Logging and open up your Squeezecenter log file (linked from the top of the page). Do you see any error messages which would help narrow this problem down?

Markcu
2008-05-05, 11:14
I cant see any major errors, but then of course I dont know what i'm looking for.

There is no antivirus or firewall running on the machine.

Siduhe
2008-05-05, 11:36
No errors at all when you try to play a file at the bottom of the log file? That is a little odd.

Forgive me if the first thing I check is this - none of the files you are trying to plat are protected by DRM or WMA Pro are they?

Are you using MusicIP or Itunes integration at all?

If you drill down (via the web interface) to the song info (sample screenshot below) - is the file path shown the same as the one you have given to Squeezecenter as your music library?

The big unknown for me is Vista - it does do some odd things to "protect" your system - may be worth searching the forums and particulary the FAQ for info on Vista specific problems.

Markcu
2008-05-05, 13:02
The files are:-

Not using musicIP, not using Itunes

Windows Media Audio 9.1 Lossless
VBR Quality 100, 44 kHz, 2 channel 16 bit 1-pass VBR

It also happens if I use XP rather than Vista.....

No errors at all when you try to play a file at the bottom of the log file? That is a little odd.

Forgive me if the first thing I check is this - none of the files you are trying to plat are protected by DRM or WMA Pro are they?

Are you using MusicIP or Itunes integration at all?

If you drill down (via the web interface) to the song info (sample screenshot below) - is the file path shown the same as the one you have given to Squeezecenter as your music library?

The big unknown for me is Vista - it does do some odd things to "protect" your system - may be worth searching the forums and particulary the FAQ for info on Vista specific problems.

KuEdE
2008-05-05, 14:04
Thanks but I dont think it is this.

It affects two recievers not just one, and I'm using Duets, not SB3's there is only a factory reset on the controller which I've tried.

Many Thanks though

I had to factory reset my Reciever (got a Duet system also)
Same thing... LED was getting bright white... no sound

This was four days after purchase
You say "I dont think it is this"... it needs 20sec for prooving ;-)

Markcu
2008-05-05, 14:08
I have tried a factory reset on both recievers and no change.

Markcu
2008-05-06, 01:57
Here is a log file, but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Markcu
2008-05-08, 05:52
Here is a log file, but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Happily I have now fixed the issues.

it seems that when you press the button on the front and hold it, the light starts to flash. I thought this was a factory reset, but actually you have to hold it longer than this untill it starts to flash quickly.

Once I had done this, and provoked it to get a new IP address it all worked fine.

I now have 3 revivers all working brilliantly over the house.

KuEdE
2008-05-08, 08:47
Happily I have now fixed the issues.

it seems that when you press the button on the front and hold it, the light starts to flash. I thought this was a factory reset, but actually you have to hold it longer than this untill it starts to flash quickly.

Once I had done this, and provoked it to get a new IP address it all worked fine.

I now have 3 revivers all working brilliantly over the house.

:-) Nice to hear