PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Receiver Playback Issues - I've found a cause!

jaffacake
2008-05-05, 05:15
Since I installed my Squeezebox Receiver I've had intermittent issues with music playback, it would regularly stutter and/or stop playing. Reported signal strength is more than adequate and my wifi access point is less than 10 feet away.

I've been advised to try the beta code but I was keep to get the most out of the current official release.

I've decided to relocate the SBR to another location, which moves it away from an adjacent central heating radiator. Whilst this doesn't appear to make any difference with regards to signal strength, it does appear to have done away with almost all of my playback interferences. I guess a 4-ply wall of high gauge steel wouldn't help reception at all, although this was strangely not reflected in the signal strength.

So it's moved into a 'better' location and now I have significantly better playback. My tip is that, if you have similar issues, you should try the box in a different location...ignoring any reported signal strength.

My system is actually usable now for the first time in 5 days and I can do some proper playback testing, previously I'd only been able to playback low bitrate mp3s and internet radio streams successfully.

estocks
2008-05-05, 05:35
Download and run Netstumbler to see if there is a WiFi channel you can use that noone else is using. Turn off any AV senders.

Millwood
2008-05-05, 05:40
There is also a nettest factility in Squeezecenter you can you to put a known load on the transport and see how well it works.

jaffacake
2008-05-05, 06:14
Download and run Netstumbler to see if there is a WiFi channel you can use that noone else is using. Turn off any AV senders.

Thanks, but I've already checked for clashing wifi channels.

My wifi is on channel 6 and my Sonos on channel 11. I don't have any neighbours within range of my house.

jaffacake
2008-05-05, 06:15
There is also a nettest factility in Squeezecenter you can you to put a known load on the transport and see how well it works.

I've looked for this but don't see it. Will you let me know where it is? Thanks.

radish
2008-05-05, 06:50
I've looked for this but don't see it. Will you let me know where it is? Thanks.

It's under help I think.

bpa
2008-05-05, 06:54
I don't think Nettest has been ported to SBC - only on SB2/SB3.

jaffacake
2008-05-05, 06:58
I found it, but it wasn't much use...

Network Test : Living Room
Network tests are not supported on this player.

It also seems my movement of the SBR was just a placebo effect, it's back to how it was earlier. I have found another link though, it's when my ReadyNAS is busy it all cracks up a bit. I'll switch back to the windows SC.

Millwood
2008-05-07, 18:49
sorry - nettest is also implemented by the controller and can be applied to any box (receiver or SB3) being controlled. Its under settings->advanced

bpa
2008-05-07, 23:48
Can you be more explicit which menu item under SBC Settings/Advanced. I've looked at them all and still can't see a menu "Nettest" or "Network test".