PDA

View Full Version : Digital audio solutions for the car

niuphan
2008-05-04, 07:10
I am a little saddened by the lack of "built-in" digital audio players for the car. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people who is satisfied connecting my portable DAP into the aux input on my car stereo (and then trying to use the DAP display while driving).

I liked the idea of a hard drive based player like the Phatbox or Kenwood music keg that connects to and is controlled from the head unit of your car. But those were discontinued and I have not seen anything new released. I believe I also read about a hard drive based player that updated wirelessly once you parked your car in the garage. Also discontinued I believe.

All of my music is in FLAC... wouldn't have purchased a SB otherwise.

Am I the only one who craves a "built in" solution for the car? And would prefer to control their digital music from the head unit of their car? Would be curious to know what information and solutions are out there. There doesn't seem to be a lot, so this must be some sort of opportunity for Slim Devices.

Thanks,
Dan

pfarrell
2008-05-04, 08:42
niuphan wrote:
> All of my music is in FLAC... wouldn't have purchased a SB otherwise.

While all my muisc is also flac, its really not needed in a car. I drive
a Lincoln, which claims to be an American Luxury car. Its much too noisy
at highway speeds to make the different between high rate MP3 and flac
audible.

> Am I the only one who craves a "built in" solution for the car?

There was a guy, 18 months or so ago, who hacked the dash of his Saab to
put a SqueezeBox into it. with a Linux PC holding the library, I think
he put it under a seat.

I'd love one, but I don't think there is a mass market for it. Most
folks live with the factory head unit, even though they are fairly easy
to replace.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Pale Blue Ego
2008-05-04, 09:04
If you look at the Crutchfield catalog or website, you'll see a trend in car head units that don't have a disc player at all, just a USB port or flash card memory slots.

For the car, this seems to me a very nice solution. Flash memory is small, cheap, reliable, and capacities continue to increase. I don't really need to take 20,000 tracks with me in my car, but being able to slip in a postage-stamp-sized 8 GB card containing 75 albums or 750 tracks would be nifty indeed.

niuphan
2008-05-04, 10:08
>>While all my muisc is also flac, its really not needed in a car. I drive
a Lincoln, which claims to be an American Luxury car. Its much too noisy
at highway speeds to make the different between high rate MP3 and flac
audible.

I can understand that argument, but I prefer not to take the time to convert all or some of my files. Plus I am too much against lossy audio compression. If a player does not support flac, I'd rather not buy the product.

Flash card readers sound nice, as long as they support lossless audio and capacity continues to grow.

pfarrell
2008-05-04, 10:13
niuphan wrote:
> I can understand that argument, but I prefer not to take the time to
> convert all or some of my files.

That's where Robin's flac2pm3 comes in.

> Plus I am too much against lossy
> audio compression. If a player does not support flac, I'd rather not
> buy the product.

Are there any?

Flac is cool, so supporting vendors smart enough to support it is
worthwhile.

The flash drives will get bigger, Moore's law and all that. I went out
to buy a new thumb drive/USB and had to look carefully to find one as
small as 2GB, most of them seem to be 8 or 16 these days.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

niuphan
2008-05-04, 10:46
Crutchfield has a number of car receivers with USB inputs. Sounds like these can hook up to most hdd devices. Unfortunatly, none of them seem to have flac support that I see. Call me crazy for wanting flac support.

SuperQ
2008-05-04, 11:37
Yup, all the in-car DAP solutions suck these days. Thankfully I still have my empeg from 2000.

EnochLight
2008-05-04, 13:11
I am a little saddened by the lack of "built-in" digital audio players for the car. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people who is satisfied connecting my portable DAP into the aux input on my car stereo (and then trying to use the DAP display while driving).
Dan

Virtually all decent mobile manufacturers offer a head unit solution which has either direct control of an iPod though the head unit or the connection of a USB flash drive. I know Alpine's line intimately as I have owned several and currently have an Alpine W205 in my car.

If your DAP isn't an iPod then I guess your out of luck, but I can completely understand why most mobile manufacturers only support direct link with an iPod as it's the most popular DAP on the market. If you're not into iPods then a flashdrive would work, although the GUI isn't as pretty.

As for supporting FLAC I would have to agree with the majority that it's overkill for a car's environment and the mobile manufacturers seem to agree (not to mention the limited space of DAP's and flashdrives right now).