PDA

View Full Version : Not Sure What File Format I've Got

okron
2008-05-03, 20:56
Ok....first time poster almost a new Duet user so I'm just starting to do my homework on this new fangled stuff. Several years ago I ripped my CDs to digital files for use on a iRiver mp3 player. I know I used EAC and I thought I created FLAC files but I'm not sure. Currently the files on my hard drive show a File 'Type' of 'MP3 Format Sound'....what is that? Do I have a lossy or lossless file? Good quality?

Thanks for the advice....looks like I've got a lot of homework (forum reading to do).

Ron

radish
2008-05-03, 21:00
What's the file extension? How big are the files?

morris_minor
2008-05-04, 00:13
Currently the files on my hard drive show a File 'Type' of 'MP3 Format Sound'....what is that? Do I have a lossy or lossless file? Good quality?

Ron

Hi Ron,

If your files really are MP3s they'll be lossy. The actual quality will depend on their bitrate (higher being better). Most squeezebox users use FLAC because it is lossless . . .

There's lots of good info in the Wiki (apart from the forums):
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Main_Page

Bob

Ur[s]uS
2008-05-04, 02:54
Ok....first time poster almost a new Duet user so I'm just starting to do my homework on this new fangled stuff. Several years ago I ripped my CDs to digital files for use on a iRiver mp3 player. I know I used EAC and I thought I created FLAC files but I'm not sure. Currently the files on my hard drive show a File 'Type' of 'MP3 Format Sound'....what is that? Do I have a lossy or lossless file? Good quality?

Thanks for the advice....looks like I've got a lot of homework (forum reading to do).

Ron

use gspot codec information appliance (search in google) to check what codec the files actually are, file extension can be misleading

okron
2008-05-04, 13:46
uS;298522']use gspot codec information appliance (search in google) to check what codec the files actually are, file extension can be misleading

I downloaded gspot and in the Audio section the Codec box says " MPEG-1 Layer 3", the Info box says "44100Hz 228 kb/s tot , Joint Stereo LAME3.96r"

Can you interpret for me?

Thanks,
Ron

Skunk
2008-05-04, 15:33
I downloaded gspot and in the Audio section the Codec box says " MPEG-1 Layer 3", the Info box says "44100Hz 228 kb/s tot , Joint Stereo LAME3.96r"

Can you interpret for me?

Thanks,
Ron

MPEG-1 Layer 3 is the long way of saying MP3. LAME is an MP3 encoder, despite the acronym Lame Ain't no Mp3 Encoder.

okron
2008-05-04, 17:09
MPEG-1 Layer 3 is the long way of saying MP3. LAME is an MP3 encoder, despite the acronym Lame Ain't no Mp3 Encoder.

So is that a good thing? Is LAME lossy/lossless, where does it land in the quality of ripping formats?

jeffmeh
2008-05-04, 18:33
So is that a good thing? Is LAME lossy/lossless, where does it land in the quality of ripping formats?

LAME is a good MP3 encoder, but all MP3 is lossy. 228kb/s is a decent bitrate for quality, and you may or may not be able to tell the difference between that and lossless. That will depend upon the particular track, the resolution of your system, and your ears.

Personally, I would re-rip the CDs over time to replace the tracks with lossless, but that is entirely up to you.

okron
2008-05-04, 20:37
Personally, I would re-rip the CDs over time to replace the tracks with lossless, but that is entirely up to you.

Thanks Jeff....that sounds like a reasonable game plan.

morris_minor
2008-05-05, 00:49
Yes - I'd agree with this - you'll be able to hear the difference between MP3 and FLAC (hopefully!). Plus you'll get a chance to sort out any tags that are less than perfect :o)