PDA

View Full Version : Napster

robert505
2008-05-03, 08:34
Is there any possibility of someone clarifying if Napster access will be made available.

mvalera
2008-05-03, 11:43
I'm sorry. Just like products, we do not comment on the possibility of future music service partners.

robert505
2008-05-03, 12:07
I'm sorry. Just like products, we do not comment on the possibility of future music service partners.

I understand. The fact remains that in certain areas you are losing out badly. A timely announcement would help this. There are dealers in the U.K. stating that its in hand.People feel like they're being lied to.

radish
2008-05-03, 20:50
There are dealers in the U.K. stating that its in hand.People feel like they're being lied to.

I guess people should take that up with whichever dealers are making stuff up...

robert505
2008-05-04, 01:09
I guess people should take that up with whichever dealers are making stuff up...

So you're saying its not "in hand"?

radish
2008-05-04, 06:39
So you're saying its not "in hand"?

I wouldn't know one way or the other, as SD/Logi don't talk about things like this before they're done (if they're done). So I don't know anything about possible Napster integration, and neither do the dealers.

autopilot
2008-05-04, 10:57
I remember this being asked before. Sean's response was that it could not be possible until support for the required DRM was added (obviously) however, support this DRM was being worked on. Read that as you will, but personally i think it will happen at some stage - why else would they bother working on it? Why build roads if no one intends to drive on them?

I would be interested to know how the licensing works - would SB/Logi have to pay license fee's to Napster, or would SD/Logi actually receive payment/commission for generating business for Napster?

gbruzzo
2008-05-20, 06:56
I remember this being asked before. Sean's response was that it could not be possible until support for the required DRM was added (obviously) however, support this DRM was being worked on. Read that as you will, but personally i think it will happen at some stage - why else would they bother working on it? Why build roads if no one intends to drive on them?

I would be interested to know how the licensing works - would SB/Logi have to pay license fee's to Napster, or would SD/Logi actually receive payment/commission for generating business for Napster?

Looks like Napster are going DRM-free...

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/20/napster-opens-world-largest-mp3

Khuli
2008-05-20, 07:58
Looks like Napster are going DRM-free...

Likewise http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7409865.stm - the UK still being ripped off on pricing....

autopilot
2008-05-20, 09:11
Good news, but i think its the subscription service this threads about - and i cant see that being DRM free!

gbruzzo
2008-05-20, 09:30
Good news, but i think its the subscription service this threads about - and i cant see that being DRM free!

True, but it means that things are moving.
I still would like to know from SlimDevices what their position is: are we or are we not going to get Napster in the UK for Squeezebox? Time passes and nothing happens...

BrockStone
2008-05-20, 17:48
Napster anywhere would be nice (Canada here).

It doesn't support it for the usa right now either does it?

FredFredrickson
2008-05-20, 21:08
So, wait... Rhapsody has DRM as well- so how does squeezebox work with that now?

mattybain
2008-05-21, 03:02
So, wait... Rhapsody has DRM as well- so how does squeezebox work with that now?

Because SlimDevices worked with Rhapsody to get the DRM implemented in the software. Presumably this is what they are working through with Napster.

FredFredrickson
2008-05-21, 06:33
Because SlimDevices worked with Rhapsody to get the DRM implemented in the software. Presumably this is what they are working through with Napster.

To the best of my knowledge- Rhapsody uses the same DRM scheme as Napster. Both are MS DRM IBX 6000.7000 WMAs...

andyg
2008-05-21, 06:36
To the best of my knowledge- Rhapsody uses the same DRM scheme as Napster. Both are MS DRM IBX 6000.7000 WMAs...

Sorry but no, that's not true. Rhapsody and Napster use WMA DRM for downloaded subscription tracks on your PC, but not for streaming. Rhapsody has a proprietary DRM scheme for streaming via Rhapsody Direct.

gbruzzo
2008-07-22, 10:52
Any news yet (for Napster on the Squeezebox/transporter/duet?

It would be so very very welcome (in particular for those of us NOT living in the US...

regards,

Giacomo

BrockStone
2008-07-25, 13:15
I concur. Any news on this?

The fact that Rhapsody isn't available in Canada is very frustrating...Napster is, but we don't have a nice way to transport it.

Can someone in the know outline the technical details of why Napster hasn't been done yet if they have that info? If we get steps perhaps we can tackle them one by one.

Thanks

BrockStone
2008-09-27, 17:38
Bueller? Bueller?

Siduhe
2008-09-28, 09:48
Apologies for the thread hijack but am another UK user who would love Napster support.

However, Last.fm have said recently they are going to offer an enhanced, on demand listening, subscription service which sounds quite a bit like Napster. Given SC and Last.fm have been working together on an official plugin recently, I'm hoping this will be something that is available (and not just to US users) via Squeezebox if and when it gets going.

simbo
2008-10-05, 07:54
However, Last.fm have said recently they are going to offer an enhanced, on demand listening, subscription service which sounds quite a bit like Napster. Given SC and Last.fm have been working together on an official plugin recently, I'm hoping this will be something that is available (and not just to US users) via Squeezebox if and when it gets going.
Agreed a last.fm on-demand service would be great, but that's been in beta for a year - anyone know when it's going live?