PDA

View Full Version : what is: Allowed IP Addresses

pfarrell
2008-05-03, 07:58
In settings -> advanced -> security, there is a text box for entries labeled: Allowed IP Addresses

What does this control?
How do I use it?
Where is it documented?

gharris999
2008-05-03, 09:09
This controls SC's response to requests on it's ports. Assuming that your local subnet is 192.168.1.xxx, then setting this value to "127.0.0.1,192.168.1.*" and setting "Block incoming connections" to "Block" will tell SC to only accept connections from the server SC is running on (the localhost) and machines on your local subnet, and reject connections from, say, a requester tunneling in through your router from outside your subnet. At least, I think that's the way it's supposed to work.

gharris999
2008-05-03, 09:11
As for documentation, try mousing over the [i] icon next to the edit control on that settings page.

pfarrell
2008-05-03, 10:52
gharris999 wrote:
> As for documentation, try mousing over the [i] icon next to the edit
> control on that settings page.

Wow, I kept clicking on the [i] and nothing happened. It never occured
to me to just hang the mouse there for a long time

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

JJZolx
2008-05-03, 12:42
gharris999 wrote:
> As for documentation, try mousing over the [i] icon next to the edit
> control on that settings page.

Wow, I kept clicking on the [i] and nothing happened. It never occured
to me to just hang the mouse there for a long time

I used to do that too. Should be fixed in 7.1 and later.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6694

pski
2008-05-04, 13:40
This controls SC's response to requests on it's ports. Assuming that your local subnet is 192.168.1.xxx, then setting this value to "127.0.0.1,192.168.1.*" and setting "Block incoming connections" to "Block" will tell SC to only accept connections from the server SC is running on (the localhost) and machines on your local subnet, and reject connections from, say, a requester tunneling in through your router from outside your subnet. At least, I think that's the way it's supposed to work.

This is correct. I have opened my modem to allow streaming to my notebook while I'm not at home. Without "allow from," anybody could poke to my SC.

Normally, I would tell my modem to "translate" a port to 9000 so that people poking around looking for SC on port 9000 would have to guess a different port to connect-to. This isn't possible because SoftSqueeze always gets it music on port 9000...

JJZolx
2008-05-04, 13:49
This isn't possible because SoftSqueeze always gets it music on port 9000...

Are you sure about that? I run my SqueezeCenter server on port 80 (this can only be done in Windows) and connect using Softsqueeze from work over a VPN tunnel.

JJZolx
2008-05-04, 13:52
Are you sure about that? I run my SqueezeCenter server on port 80 (this can only be done in Windows) and connect using Softsqueeze from work over a VPN tunnel.

I just took a look at the Softsqueeze preferences. Under Networking there's an option to set the SqueezeCenter HTTP port.