PDA

View Full Version : Is it right for me - laundry list

kbbbbbbb
2008-05-02, 19:35
Hi, I'd like to know if installing the SqueezeCenter will work for me. Here are my requirements.

Overview: I have about 80 gigs of music. About 90% of it is sorted and tagged. I have an Onkyo TSXR705 in the living room with surround. Our apartment came with speaker wiring that goes through most of the main rooms (kitchen, hallways, deck). I have hooked the receiver up so that it powers all the other speakers in the place as well. My girlfriend isn't very tech savvy, so I have replaced vista with the current ubuntu release on her dell laptop. She can browse, play cds, watch youtube, and it works great for her. The server would be able to connect directly to the receiver, no problem. Being familiar with linux, I could use XP or Linux, although I'm not sure of the benefits or drawbacks with each one (in regards to squeezecenter, not in general ;), haha).

What I'm looking for: **after reading the website I'm revising a little***

- Access to my complete library from our local network so the music plays on that specific machine. ****edit**** ok, seems like this is possible

- Access to my complete library from our local network to control the receiver in the living room. *** still not sure about this one ***

- Hopefully the above can be accomplished by serving HTML. I think my girlfriend will be able to use this easier. ***looks like this is ok ****

- Playlists: the ability to create, delete, and edit them from any computer.
*** looks like this is ok ****

- An easy way to add music to my library. I'd like to be able to pop in a CD on any computer on our network and be able to rip, tag, and upload to the server. I would settle for putting the CD into the server itself too. I would also like to be able to "browse" to newly downloaded music and upload folders to the server this way as well.

- Possible streaming to computers on the web with username/password integration. I would assume if this were possible, we could use something like http://www.no-ip.com/ to get this to work.

- Free or cheap (for now). I really like the looks of squeezecenter and if it works out in my place I will most definitely purchase extra hardware that is compatible. *** looks free :) ****

- A friendly user base that actively develops and is going to stick around for awhile.

- Tagging or music organization help.

- Auto cover art lookup and download.

I hope I'm not too forward with all of this, I just want to make sure it comes close to meeting my needs. There is a lot of music server software out there, and this looks pretty slick. Hopefully someone can give me some info for each of these points.

Thanks!

- hopeful and potential user --kb

JJZolx
2008-05-02, 21:14
Are you just looking for some software, or are you considering one of the hardware products in the line that requires SqueezeCenter?

The server would be able to connect directly to the receiver, no problem.

Meaning what, exactly? Are you talking about SqueezeCenter server or the computer/server containing all the music? It's doubtful that your Onkyo can talk to SqueezeCenter. If it works with a UPnP server then you'll have to install one on the computer. SqueezeCenter doesn't include that functionality.

- Access to my complete library from our local network so the music plays on that specific machine. ****edit**** ok, seems like this is possible

As above. I'm not sure where you're coming from.

- Access to my complete library from our local network to control the receiver in the living room. *** still not sure about this one ***

No sense in going any further. I think you may be confused.

kbbbbbbb
2008-05-03, 04:17
Sorry about that, let me try to clear up your questions:

Are you just looking for some software, or are you considering one of the hardware products in the line that requires SqueezeCenter?
I'm looking just at squeezecenter software. How well the software works will determine if I purchase any hardware for it.

Meaning what, exactly? Are you talking about SqueezeCenter server or the computer/server containing all the music?
I was talking about a computer/server running squeezecenter that contains all the music in one place. The computer has a decent sound card that will connect to my Onkyo.

I'm sure there are some crazy ways to connect everything out there, but what I was proposing shouldn't be that wild.

Internet -> Cable Modem -> Wireless Router -> Server (wired connection) -> Receiver (optical or RCA connection).

Our laptops and other computers throughout the place connect wirelessly. I assumed that by connecting the server directly to the receiver we could select songs and playlists to play (going from the server to the receiver). Does it not work this way? I mean, I guess I could just get VNC and use any old media player, but my girl would freak out and probably not adopt that practice.

Maybe this will help:
Scenario- I am upstairs in the office with my laptop using headphones and I want to access some music. Can I connect locally to my server and listen to my music from my laptop upstairs?

At the same time, my girl is out on the deck and wants the receiver to play her playlist. Can she connect locally to the server and have it play her music?

Does that make more sense? I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough in my initial post. BTW, thank you very much for the reply. I know it can be a pain dealing with the new and uninformed.

Skunk
2008-05-03, 05:17
Maybe this will help:
Scenario- I am upstairs in the office with my laptop using headphones and I want to access some music. Can I connect locally to my server and listen to my music from my laptop upstairs?

At the same time, my girl is out on the deck and wants the receiver to play her playlist. Can she connect locally to the server and have it play her music?

It can do all that. You install Squeezecenter on the server and let it scan your library. When finished go to the Extras menu, and install Softsqueeze, which will route audio through your soundcard.

While upstairs you connect your laptop to http://<server ip>:9000, which will bring up the web interface, where you can select Extras>Softsqueeze again.

These two Softsqueeze players are then selectable in the dropdown of the web interface, so you can control them from anywhere.

It works pretty good, but actual hardware players have less connectivity issues -IME, and if you get the Duet, the Controller is much better for browsing/selecting music -IMO.

Skunk
2008-05-03, 05:46
These may help w/ some of your other unanswered questions.

- Possible streaming to computers on the web with username/password integration. I would assume if this were possible, we could use something like http://www.no-ip.com/ to get this to work.

-- A friendly user base that actively develops and is going to stick around for awhile.

--- Tagging or music organization help.

---- Auto cover art lookup and download.

- http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/ConnectingRemotely

-- http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4
http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

--- http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/BeginnersGuideToTagging

---- http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/ToolsAlbumArt
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/AlbumArtwork

kbbbbbbb
2008-05-03, 07:22
perfect!!!

thank you so much for the reply and the references. I'll be setting this up today! what a great community! I haven't even looked at the plugins yet, but I'm sure there will be some awesome stuff.

JJZolx
2008-05-03, 12:21
I'm looking just at squeezecenter software. How well the software works will determine if I purchase any hardware for it.

I was talking about a computer/server running squeezecenter that contains all the music in one place. The computer has a decent sound card that will connect to my Onkyo.

Ok, then back to a few of your original questions....

This is possible using Softsqueeze of Squeezeslave, which are Squeezebox emulators. They're not perfect, but they work.

Question is a little fuzzy, but you would control playback using either the web interface of SqueezeCenter, the remote interface (IR remote on the hardware device, or a Squeezebox mockup and mouse/keyboard with Softsqueeze software). Or the new Controller with the Duet hardware. Also some PDAs, Apple iPhone/Touch, etc. through variations of the web interface.

- Hopefully the above can be accomplished by serving HTML. I think my girlfriend will be able to use this easier. ***looks like this is ok ****

See above.

- Playlists: the ability to create, delete, and edit them from any computer.
*** looks like this is ok ****

Putting together a playlist for immediate playback isn't too bad. Creating complex playlists to be saved for later, editing them, changing track order, can be very tedious. This is better accomplished using a good music manager program.

- An easy way to add music to my library. I'd like to be able to pop in a CD on any computer on our network and be able to rip, tag, and upload to the server. I would settle for putting the CD into the server itself too.

You can't do any of this with SqueezeCenter. It doesn't rip music (doesn't even know what a CD drive is), doesn't tag music. It's absolutely hands-off when it comes to modifying any of the music files.

You'll need to find othe software to rip and tag your music.

I would also like to be able to "browse" to newly downloaded music and upload folders to the server this way as well.

There's a 'New Music' browse mode in both the web and remote interfaces.

User authentication in SqueezeCenter is very primitive. One username and one password, or none.

- Tagging or music organization help.

Zilch. SqueezeCenter prides itself in not being a music library manager.

- Auto cover art lookup and download.

No such ability.

If you do some forum searches you'll probably find some older posts from Slim Devices employees stating that they never intended SlimServer (SqueezeCenter) to become a music library manager, and that it will remain that way. They just didn't want the headaches, plus there are many very good library managers already out there. Doing that type of software as a native application is much easier than doing it as a web app.

kbbbbbbb
2008-05-03, 12:56
thanks jim!

I already use mp3tagger and keep my music decent. I was just wondering if it had things like tagging, ripping, and album art right out of the box. It's fine if it doesn't.

I've already set up the domain and port forwarding, so we'll see how that works. Controlling the receiver from the web interface seems like the best bet right now. I have a harmony remote, and I can't really think about getting any more remotes right now. I will probably get the squeezebox receiver when it comes out.

this is neat!

kbbbbbbb
2008-05-06, 19:42
this will probably be my last post here....

I have it all set up. I can do most of what I was looking for using SC and things are working great. I even listen to my music from work too (I only had 1 connection problem today, about 9 hours of music!).

My girlfriend controls the living room receiver just fine and my office PC is set up with Moose (the cover selector is sweet).

All of this with about 30 min of troubleshooting some settings here and there, nothing I couldn't look up and find.

the *only* thing I don't like is that I can easily find softsqueeze 3.5 from sourceforge, but 3.6 is around too and I had to get it from my SC settings or something. I couldn't find where I had installed it and there is no headless option. I also am a little unsure about what squeezeslave is and does, but honestly, everything is great now so I probably won't bother.

My weekend experience with this software has now motivated me to save up for the hardware. THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great community too BTW.

- kb

JJZolx
2008-05-06, 19:55
the *only* thing I don't like is that I can easily find softsqueeze 3.5 from sourceforge, but 3.6 is around too and I had to get it from my SC settings or something. I couldn't find where I had installed it and there is no headless option. I also am a little unsure about what squeezeslave is and does, but honestly, everything is great now so I probably won't bother.

Squeezeslave is a lighter weight version of Softsqueeze, written in C instead of Java. The only way it runs is headless. It's what I use from work, as I find it more stable and reliable than Softsqueeze.

funkstar
2008-05-07, 02:51
this will probably be my last post here....
I'm pleased you have everything sorted out. You don't have to leave though, you can hang out, read some threads, you might find another aspect of the device you didn't realise was possible before :)