PDA

View Full Version : fix coming for b&k, meridian, superdac, et al---WORKING!



Dan Foxley
2004-02-29, 10:11
Works on my B&K...thanks...very cool.
Are DTS audio discs under the DMC laws as well?

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of Sean Adams
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 10:08 AM
To: Slim Devices Discussion
Subject: [slim] fix coming for b&k, meridian, superdac, et al


Using an analyzer, we found the problem, and after two weeks of calling
Micronas every single day, they have provided a fix.

New firmware coming this weekend. Confirmed fix for b&k - expected to fix
all other s/pdif receivers.

The problem was an inverted "validity" bit in the s/pdif data stream, which
is totally wrong according to the official spec even though most receivers
play the stream anyway.

As an interesting side-effect of this - I've figured out how to manipulate
the s/pdif output as needed to support non-PCM formats, eg DVD-audio, so we
should be able to do tricks like 5.1 audio as well.

Thanks to everyone who reported this and helped to narrow down the problem.

ubiqwi
2004-03-01, 04:17
DVD Audio IS PCM. For compatibility reasons with DVD-Video players,
most records have AC3/DTS tracks but that's not what you want.

"Sadly", Max Data Rate is 9.6Mbps. We will need a turbocharged
Squeezebox to sustain that. MLP brings this down a little but then
requires decoding on the Squeezebox.

On 29 févr. 04, at 18:11, Dan Foxley wrote:

> -----Original Message-----
> From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of Sean Adams
> Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 10:08 AM
> To: Slim Devices Discussion
> Subject: [slim] fix coming for b&k, meridian, superdac, et al
>
> As an interesting side-effect of this - I've figured out how to
> manipulate
> the s/pdif output as needed to support non-PCM formats, eg DVD-audio,
> so we
> should be able to do tricks like 5.1 audio as well.

seanadams
2004-03-01, 09:14
I stand corrected... but AC3/DTS should be doable.

On Mar 1, 2004, at 3:17 AM, ubiqwi wrote:

> DVD Audio IS PCM. For compatibility reasons with DVD-Video players,
> most records have AC3/DTS tracks but that's not what you want.
>
> "Sadly", Max Data Rate is 9.6Mbps. We will need a turbocharged
> Squeezebox to sustain that. MLP brings this down a little but then
> requires decoding on the Squeezebox.
>
> On 29 févr. 04, at 18:11, Dan Foxley wrote:
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
>> [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of Sean Adams
>> Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 10:08 AM
>> To: Slim Devices Discussion
>> Subject: [slim] fix coming for b&k, meridian, superdac, et al
>>
>> As an interesting side-effect of this - I've figured out how to
>> manipulate
>> the s/pdif output as needed to support non-PCM formats, eg DVD-audio,
>> so we
>> should be able to do tricks like 5.1 audio as well.
>
>
>

Jason Snell
2004-03-01, 10:57
Sean Adams wrote:

>I stand corrected... but AC3/DTS should be doable.


Right... 5.1 audio from DVDs yes, DVD-Audio format no.

-jason

--
Jason Snell / Editor in Chief, Macworld / jsnell (AT) macworld (DOT) com
415-243-3565 / AIM-iChat: MW jsnell