PDA

View Full Version : Headphone on Duet?

ejfrolich
2008-05-02, 01:47
Hello all,

On my Duet remote there is a headphone connection. Nice! No not so nice... It only play's the klick tones when I select something. It does not play any music.

Am I making a mistake? Do I have to do somting else?

Tell me the whole story about this headphone connection please!

mherger
2008-05-02, 02:23
> Tell me the whole story about this headphone connection please!

The whole story? It's there, but currently unsupported by the firmware.

--

Michael

pnharrison
2008-05-02, 02:30
At the moment; the headphone socket only plays sound effects (the "click tones")

But the controller does contain a d/a converter so it is feasible that at some point in the future the controller will be able to act as a portable music player; with the right software updates enabling music via the headphone socket.

AFAIK there have been no announcements about possible timing; but it's a concept that has been discussed before and excites many people.

misterbalzac
2008-05-15, 07:53
Able to act as a portable music player?

Does this mean that the controller has some significant flash memory, or an SD card slot or something?

..or is this "portable music player" going to just be portable around your home/wherever there is a wifi network?

Mark Lanctot
2008-05-15, 08:05
Able to act as a portable music player?

Eventually. It's in development right now.

Does this mean that the controller has some significant flash memory, or an SD card slot or something?

An SD card slot, but the player will likely play music off the SC server, so it'll use the wireless network.

It's possible someone in the community could add the ability to play files off the SD card though, but it's not certain.

..or is this "portable music player" going to just be portable around your home/wherever there is a wifi network?

Yes, that's the intention for the first bit of music playback functionality. Anything beyond that may be possible but is just supposition at this point.

pfarrell
2008-05-15, 10:29
The Controller is really a powerful computer. Personal computer. It has a SD slot, DAC, nice video display, built in wifi and more. There is even a geek connector on the bottom, covered by a rubber plug.

The software is open source, there are many potential uses.