PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my SB3?

ezsurfing
2008-05-01, 17:32
Today I updated my modem router to the latest firmware and all my wireless appliances are working fine except my SB3. It shows a black screen and when I turned it back on it shows the set up screen and it goes through the whole process but after going to the step of connecting to my network it says it cannot do it and to go back and try again. I have tried the same several times - even re-entering the network name and password - but it just doesn't work.
Is there a way to solve this? Do I have to reset the player and how do I do that? It was working perfectly until I did the update.

(I am using
SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S165) - EN - utf8,
Perl Version: 5.8.6 darwin-thread-multi-2level
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-standard
And the modem router is NETGEAR DG834N.)

Anoop M.
2008-05-01, 18:09
A factory reset is worth a try.

Unplug the unit.

While plugging the unit back in hold down the (+) key on the remote.

You should see the words 'Factory Reset' on the front if it was executed correctly.

Let us know if that helped.

ezsurfing
2008-05-01, 18:37
Well, very weirdly I managed to make it work and still have no idea how. I am guessing the new router setting somehow changed the IP address of SlimServer or something else went wrong. I did the factory resetting more than 5 times and still wouldn't work; then I connected the SB directly to the PC and it worked in the wired connection. Then I tried again to go wireless and - even it showed all the time the name of my network - it just wouldn't go online. Then I tried to enter a static IP and it messed all my Network Preferences in the Mac computer and still I didn't manage to get it online. And amazingly I went back to the initial step of setting up the network and it found the IP address. So I really have no idea what was going on and if it will work downstairs now that I am going to take it to its original place of use...

Eric Seaberg
2008-05-01, 18:43
How did you enter the static IP address? That shouldn't have really screwed things up!

ezsurfing
2008-05-01, 18:47
Well. I am back from downstairs and the SB3 doesn't - apparently- get the signal down there at all. It goes black again. But bringing it back here it is working properly. So I guess my router is not working properly or some settings went wrong - it shows all the settings as before and maximum strength of signal as before.

JJZolx
2008-05-01, 19:00
Well. I am back from downstairs and the SB3 doesn't - apparently- get the signal down there at all. It goes black again. But bringing it back here it is working properly. So I guess my router is not working properly or some settings went wrong - it shows all the settings as before and maximum strength of signal as before.

That sure sucks. The obvious thing to try would be to go back the router's old firmware.

ezsurfing
2008-05-01, 19:14
Do you think it is ok to reinstall the older version of the router firmware? The player gets only 90% of signal strength next to the router and it used to get 68% 2 floors down!

JJZolx
2008-05-01, 19:49
Do you think it is ok to reinstall the older version of the router firmware?

I would think so. If it doesn't balk at the version number being lower when you try to downgrade (if it can even tell) then it should be fine. It might also be a good idea to do a factory reset on the router and reconfigure it.