PDA

View Full Version : who else would want a slim car radio

danaronson
2008-05-01, 10:48
I would love a slim car radio that talked to the squeezenetwork. Perhaps with built in evdo and a data access plan, or perhaps with a data input for people who already have a evdo type data access device. Are others interested? What might this device look like?

--dan

dsendecki
2008-05-01, 10:52
I'm not that interested (personally) in the car radio idea, but your comment touches on an interesting point one that's been raised before. The idea of new slim appliances. For example, I'm shopping for a clock radio an alarm clock that I could use in my bedroom that talked to squeezenetwork/squeezecenter.

Also, would love one for the bathroom, etc etc. There are tonnes of great applications. A portable boombox to bring in the backyard would be a good idea, et al!

Mnyb
2008-05-01, 11:00
The missing piece for me is reliable mobile broadband, then a car audio streamer would be interesting.

You can connect to your home server and stream your own records to the car.
Access to SqueezeNetwork.

You can have this today if your handy and innovative, slap together an Micro-ITX or similar car PC load with you fav linux distro. Use SqueezePlay or similar ;-)

But wheres the mobile broadband at ?

iPhone
2008-05-01, 14:19
I would love a slim car radio that talked to the squeezenetwork. Perhaps with built in evdo and a data access plan, or perhaps with a data input for people who already have a evdo type data access device. Are others interested? What might this device look like?

--dan

Its called Sirius or XM! Why reinvent the wheel when there is currently no Wireless Broadband everywhere provider? Sirius is $12.95 a month, all you can eat data is $45.

Besides, I am using SS in my SUV. I use my Mobile SB3. SS is on my laptop. Laptop and SB3 are plugged into my SUVs inverter. The SB3 RCA outs are connected to the head unit in my SUV via the AUX in. I even get to use the laptop screen because the Toughbook is in a mount that they make for it to go between the front bucket seats. The mount base connects to the bolts that hold the passenger seat in (image an "L" with the small lower part connected to both sides of the seat rails and the slide in mount sitting on the top of the L). It works great and I have Road Warrior running in the background so I never get lost. Guess if I bought a cheap WiFi router, I could use my Receiver and Controller.

SuperQ
2008-05-01, 14:27
I've had an empeg (http://riocar.org) for almost 8 years now. I have yet to find something to replace it. The biggest problem with many new cars is the lack of a proper DIN slot to move it to. A squeezebox-car could be close to an acceptable UI, but no where near as good as the empeg for car use.

I could easily be done with a (trunk|boot)-mounted car PC with a laptop drive, and bluetooth to get data via cellular for internet streams.

probedb
2008-05-02, 02:48
I'm not that interested (personally) in the car radio idea, but your comment touches on an interesting point one that's been raised before. The idea of new slim appliances. For example, I'm shopping for a clock radio an alarm clock that I could use in my bedroom that talked to squeezenetwork/squeezecenter.

Also, would love one for the bathroom, etc etc. There are tonnes of great applications. A portable boombox to bring in the backyard would be a good idea, et al!

You could use an SB3 as it has the radio and clock stuff ;) Bit expensive tho!

funkstar
2008-05-02, 04:01
I don't think a SqueezeBox Head Unit would have enough of a market to be viable. But there are solutions that could work.

Option 1: I have a head unit with Bluetooth and can can stream stereo audio from my WindowsMobile phone. All I need it a Jive interface that can hook into SqueezeCenter over my unlimited 3G data connection and I'm sorted. I would pay for such an application.

Option 2: Audio playback from a Controller, especially if line out was available from the bottom connector. Hook this to the AUX in on my headunit (many are now coming with "iPod/MP3 connectors") and then open up the 3G connection from my phone over wifi (there are apps that turn your phone into an access point) and connect through to SqueezeCenter that way.

:)

SumnerBoy
2008-05-02, 05:14
I have often wished I could access my SqueezeCenter music library from my car, usually when driving along listening to the rubbish on the radio. I did read of someone who setup their car with a low power PC which would wirelessly connect and sync with their home network whenever if came into range (i.e. in the garage). It would sync up the library ensuring your car library was always up to date. This seems like a pretty good solution. This doesn't give you SqueezeNetwork access but that could be easily added once decent mobile broadband becomes available.

I agree that cost would be an issue however with something like this. Nice to dream but.

peter
2008-05-02, 06:07
SumnerBoy wrote:
> I have often wished I could access my SqueezeCenter music library from
> my car, usually when driving along listening to the rubbish on the
> radio. I did read of someone who setup their car with a low power PC
> which would wirelessly connect and sync with their home network
> whenever if came into range (i.e. in the garage). It would sync up the
> library ensuring your car library was always up to date. This seems
> like a pretty good solution. This doesn't give you SqueezeNetwork
> access but that could be easily added once decent mobile broadband
> becomes available.
>
> I agree that cost would be an issue however with something like this.
> Nice to dream but.
>

I think memory and head unit technology is about to fix this problem for
us. I've been using an iRiver 40GB mp3 player in my car for years. It's
quite handy with a remote that I've stuck to my dashboard with velcro.
The device itself lives permanently in my glove compartment.

An SD card that holds 16GB can be bought for a little over 100 EURO's
these days. Once these things start hitting 64GB they're becoming big
enough to store my collection (converting FLACs to MP3). Now we just
have to wait for head units with SD slots to become common place. I
don't need much in the way of user interface. Just display track title
and artist, allow me to skip songs and toggle between shuffle and
straight play is enough for me. It's all I do with my iRiver.

Regards,
Peter

toby10
2008-05-02, 09:23
SumnerBoy wrote:
> I have often wished I could access my SqueezeCenter music library from
> my car, usually when driving along listening to the rubbish on the
> radio. I did read of someone who setup their car with a low power PC
> which would wirelessly connect and sync with their home network
> whenever if came into range (i.e. in the garage). It would sync up the
> library ensuring your car library was always up to date. This seems
> like a pretty good solution. This doesn't give you SqueezeNetwork
> access but that could be easily added once decent mobile broadband
> becomes available.
>
> I agree that cost would be an issue however with something like this.
> Nice to dream but.
>

I think memory and head unit technology is about to fix this problem for
us. I've been using an iRiver 40GB mp3 player in my car for years. It's
quite handy with a remote that I've stuck to my dashboard with velcro.
The device itself lives permanently in my glove compartment.

An SD card that holds 16GB can be bought for a little over 100 EURO's
these days. Once these things start hitting 64GB they're becoming big
enough to store my collection (converting FLACs to MP3). Now we just
have to wait for head units with SD slots to become common place. I
don't need much in the way of user interface. Just display track title
and artist, allow me to skip songs and toggle between shuffle and
straight play is enough for me. It's all I do with my iRiver.

Regards,
Peter

Two other alternatives already on the market:
- Slacker Player (but it's audio thru FM so I'm wary of the SQ)
- Car head units with built in USB

I have a Pioneer head unit with a hidden (rear) USB cable that sits in my glove box. Currently I'm running an Iomega e-go 160gb HD which is USB bus powered. Most of the current USB head units including the Pio's are limited to MP3, WMA (lossy) and AAC. But there are a few like the Alpine that will accept uncompressed WAV's via USB. I'm sure more mfr's will incorporate WAV and other uncompressed formats via USB in the near future.

peter
2008-05-02, 10:19
toby10 wrote:
> peter;298048 Wrote:
>
>> SumnerBoy wrote:
>>
>>> I have often wished I could access my SqueezeCenter music library
>>>
>> from
>>
>>> my car, usually when driving along listening to the rubbish on the
>>> radio. I did read of someone who setup their car with a low power PC
>>> which would wirelessly connect and sync with their home network
>>> whenever if came into range (i.e. in the garage). It would sync up
>>>
>> the
>>
>>> library ensuring your car library was always up to date. This seems
>>> like a pretty good solution. This doesn't give you SqueezeNetwork
>>> access but that could be easily added once decent mobile broadband
>>> becomes available.
>>>
>>> I agree that cost would be an issue however with something like
>>>
>> this.
>>
>>> Nice to dream but.
>>>
>>>
>> I think memory and head unit technology is about to fix this problem
>> for
>> us. I've been using an iRiver 40GB mp3 player in my car for years. It's
>>
>> quite handy with a remote that I've stuck to my dashboard with velcro.
>>
>> The device itself lives permanently in my glove compartment.
>>
>> An SD card that holds 16GB can be bought for a little over 100 EURO's
>> these days. Once these things start hitting 64GB they're becoming big
>> enough to store my collection (converting FLACs to MP3). Now we just
>> have to wait for head units with SD slots to become common place. I
>> don't need much in the way of user interface. Just display track title
>>
>> and artist, allow me to skip songs and toggle between shuffle and
>> straight play is enough for me. It's all I do with my iRiver.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Peter
>>
>
> Two other alternatives already on the market:
> - Slacker Player (but it's audio thru FM so I'm wary of the SQ)
> - Car head units with built in USB
>
> I have a Pioneer head unit with a hidden (rear) USB cable that sits in
> my glove box. Currently I'm running an Iomega e-go 160gb HD which is
> USB bus powered. Most of the current USB head units including the
> Pio's are limited to MP3, WMA (lossy) and AAC. But there are a few
> like the Alpine that will accept uncompressed WAV's via USB. I'm sure
> more mfr's will incorporate WAV and other uncompressed formats via USB
> in the near future.
>

That's interesting. What't the type number of that Pioneer? Does it
handle large music collections gracefully?

I ran into this one today:
http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/carstereos/parrotrk8200

It's got an iPod interface but also a 'hidden' compartment where you can
put your phone or usb stick (or perhaps even a small usb harddrive) as
well as an SD (SDHC) slot. It's also got a bluetooth handsfree function
for your phone. Looks pretty good...

Regards,
Peter

toby10
2008-05-02, 11:46
toby10 wrote:[color=blue]

That's interesting. What't the type number of that Pioneer? Does it
handle large music collections gracefully?

I ran into this one today:
http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/carstereos/parrotrk8200

It's got an iPod interface but also a 'hidden' compartment where you can
put your phone or usb stick (or perhaps even a small usb harddrive) as
well as an SD (SDHC) slot. It's also got a bluetooth handsfree function
for your phone. Looks pretty good...

Regards,
Peter

Pioneer DEH-6900UB this is the 07 model, they have newer ones.

I have about 44gb of MP3's all at 320kbps. I think I read somewhere this head unit had a "limit" of 250gb of usable USB storage capabilities. But that's also what Yamaha told me about hooking up a hard drive to the USB port on my AVR and it has no problem seeing the full 1tb USB hd where I have all my WAV's. Heck, I doubt I'd ever come close to the e-go's 160gb of space as MP3's.

Keep in mind that the head unit's screen is pretty small so properly organizing the music files is important. But the head unit also has a remote so it's not difficult to search the HD via the front panel. It takes about 10 seconds to "format read" the USB drive every time I turn the car on.

It also has two AUX ports, sat radio ready, iPod/MP3 player input, and BlueTooth, but I use none of these.

If your existing head unit has an AUX port you could just buy a USB "module" for USB input. But I have no idea how you would then read/view/search the USB contents. It may well just output that to your front panel display, I dunno.

FatElvis2000
2008-05-04, 14:55
The missing piece for me is reliable mobile broadband, then a car audio streamer would be interesting.

You can connect to your home server and stream your own records to the car.
Access to SqueezeNetwork.

You can have this today if your handy and innovative, slap together an Micro-ITX or similar car PC load with you fav linux distro. Use SqueezePlay or similar ;-)

But wheres the mobile broadband at ?

Well.... this is coming. Maybe 10 years from now, maybe longer, but eventually the "Internet" will be ubiquitous. Thus rendering Satelite Radio and FM obsolete, hard-drive based music players, etc etc. Maybe even cable TV. Can't wait. Everything's at home on the server.

pfarrell
2008-05-04, 15:22
FatElvis2000 wrote:
> eventually the "Internet" will be ubiquitous. Thus rendering Satelite
> Radio and FM obsolete, hard-drive based music players, etc etc. Maybe
> even cable TV. Can't wait. Everything's at home on the server.

Except it won't be your home, the server will be at GoogleYahooMicroSoft

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

wr420
2008-05-04, 19:59

--dan

For me it looks like an ATT Tilt and WM6.x. I have no stereo just a small parametric EQ w/ volume
control in the dash and a stereo blue tooth adapter. Get in the car, hit play on the phone.
I can stream from SC but it takes a while to start the stream through the web UI so I use
internet radio because I mostly take short trips (in and around SF bay area).

With 3G/HSDPA it's reliable to work and back but go to the burbs and 3G gets spotty.
Sound quality is OK and the bluetooth adds some occasional crackling but its more
of a proof of concept.
Better have a cigarette lighter adapter too;)
I was also able to do this in Mexico where it seems they have quite a nice 3G netwok.

wr420

lrossouw
2008-10-20, 10:02
For me it looks like an ATT Tilt and WM6.x. I have no stereo just a small parametric EQ w/ volume
control in the dash and a stereo blue tooth adapter. Get in the car, hit play on the phone.
I can stream from SC but it takes a while to start the stream through the web UI so I use
internet radio because I mostly take short trips (in and around SF bay area).

With 3G/HSDPA it's reliable to work and back but go to the burbs and 3G gets spotty.
Sound quality is OK and the bluetooth adds some occasional crackling but its more
of a proof of concept.
Better have a cigarette lighter adapter too;)
I was also able to do this in Mexico where it seems they have quite a nice 3G netwok.

wr420
HTC Tytn II (which is the international version of the tilt). Would love to see SqueezePlay on this Windows Mobile 6 phone.

Anyway sync phone on PC using Windows Media Player to get a bit of my library on the phone and then play using aux line into my car stereo. I get some engine feedback (I hear the engine on the speakers) on this if the phone is plugged in to the cigarette charger so very irritating. Need to sort this issue out.

Ideal setup would be Controller type interface and screen in the car with storage which wirelessly connects to my library on my pc when my car is parked at home to sync files.

lanierb
2008-10-20, 12:03
I definitely want a SB car radio! I've brought it up in other threads.

If data networks were reliable, all I would need is the ability to play Rhapsody in the car. Why not Sirius/XM some have asked? Because the quality is absolute and total crap, and because I can't choose exactly what to play.

However, since data networks are not reliable for now, I also want the ability to copy music files via wifi/3G to my car automatically, plus a decent amount of storage. That would be awesome!

(Right now I use a phatbox, which works OK, but it's not the same and has no internet capability.)

amey01
2008-10-21, 00:05
YEAH BABY! I've been ready for ages! I'm not so for the "car" idea, but certainly a portable, running off the 3G / HSDPA networks. Of course, this could be connected to a car if necessary, but also used on the train, at work etc.