PDA

View Full Version : Squeezecenter setup issues and some impressions

Simonfish
2008-04-30, 15:39
I just "upgraded" to Squeezecenter 7.0.1 from 6.5.whatever I had before.

While I run iTunes on my machine, it's there purely to manage content for my iPod. My main music library is all WMA Lossless, and iTunes has a partial copy in a much lower-fidelity form. When I installed Squeezecenter, I made sure the "Use iTunes library" option was unchecked. And yet ... once Squeezecenter had finished scanning my library, it went off and scanned my iTunes library too. So I checked my settings, and the "use iTunes" option was still unchecked. Huh?

Next, I started looking around the new UI. While it's pretty, it is DOG slow, at least on IE 7.0. Since I know how much the webbies I work with prefer developing in Firefox, I tested using FF and sure enough, Squeezecenter felt much snappier. Yes, everyone loves to hate IE and Microsoft, but personally, I prefer IE's UI to Firefox. Please don't make me run a different browser just to use my music player.

Lastly, I took a look at the scanner logs. Imagine my surprise when I noticed that, despite my being very specific about where to look for playlists and music, Squeezecenter had gone off and scanned all sorts of other locations on my system, so all sorts of whacky playlists created by apps I've used in the past like iPodder suddenly show up in Squeezecenter. So now I have to go and remove them manually, when I didn't ask for them to be added in the first place.

Overall, not very impressive.

mherger
2008-04-30, 23:36
> unchecked. And yet ... once Squeezecenter had finished scanning my
> library, it went off and scanned my iTunes library too. So I checked
> my settings, and the "use iTunes" option was still unchecked. Huh?

Would you mind uploading your server.prefs, plugin/itunes.prefs and plugin/state.prefs files? This shouldn't happen - and I've never seen it happen neither.

> Microsoft, but personally, I prefer IE's UI to Firefox. Please don't
> make me run a different browser just to use my music player.

You could give Prism a try - it's basically a FF wrapper which makes a web page look like an app.
http://labs.mozilla.com/2007/10/prism/

This way you would continue using your preferred browser while having the advantage of running SC in an improved environment.

> Lastly, I took a look at the scanner logs. Imagine my surprise when I
> noticed that, despite my being very specific about where to look for
> playlists and music, Squeezecenter had gone off and scanned all sorts
> of other locations on my system, so all sorts of whacky playlists

Make sure none of these whacky lists is still inside the folder you're still using. SC will follow playlists and shortcuts inside the defined music folder. It will _not_ search anywhere else unless lead there by your files.

--

Michael

Simonfish
2008-05-01, 14:14
Hi Michael

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Would you mind uploading your server.prefs, plugin/itunes.prefs and plugin/state.prefs files? This shouldn't happen - and I've never seen it happen neither.

I've attached them to this post. Thanks!

You could give Prism a try - it's basically a FF wrapper which makes a web page look like an app.
http://labs.mozilla.com/2007/10/prism/

I thought of using Prism, but it's more the additional load placed on my system by having to run another large app that bothers me. FF has a pretty hefty working set. Also, it would be advisable to add something to the readme regarding this, since like it or not, IE does still have a 70%+ market share.

Make sure none of these whacky lists is still inside the folder you're still using. SC will follow playlists and shortcuts inside the defined music folder. It will _not_ search anywhere else unless lead there by your files.

I double-checked. They're in sub-directories under My Documents\My Music. But Squeezecenter (SC) was never told to look there, so I'm assuming that's one of the default places it looks. Any way to turn that off?

There is another bug hiding in there, too: users sets up SC which scans away and finds all this stuff under My Music. Now the user switches SC to run as a service, which means it's running (I assume) as LocalSystem. Let's say the user has locked down My Documents (not uncommon: the Explorer has a link to do that for you when you set up Fast User Switching), allowing only their own account access. SC is still going to list those items that it found in My Music, but it's not going to be able to read them. Oops.

Thanks again

- S

mherger
2008-05-02, 11:13
> I've attached them to this post. Thanks!

Ok, iTunes clearly is deactivated. You could disable the plugin completely (needs a restart) to be sure.

Why did you think it was scanning the iTunes library at all? Have you been using iTunes in SS6.x?

> Also, it would be advisable to add something
> to the readme regarding this, since like it or not, IE does still have
> a 70%+ market share.

What should we add to the readme? A recommendation for FireFox, Opera or Safari? We're fully supporting IE6(!) and any reasonable browser. It's a major pain, but I spend days to make this happen, _because_ IE is still the leading (in market share) browser. But we can't change the fact that IE is slower than other browsers.

> I double-checked. They're in sub-directories under My Documents\My
> Music. But Squeezecenter (SC) was never told to look there, so I'm
> assuming that's one of the default places it looks. Any way to turn
> that off?

SC will _not_ scan any folder unless a.) you tell it to do so (by defining it as music or playlist folder), or b.) if you happen to have a shortcut/playlist/cue sheet in your music/playlist folder, pointing to this outside folder. Please make sure you don't have any of them. Some ripping software creates them automatically without telling you.

> There is another bug hiding in there, too: users sets up SC which scans

That's not a bug in the software, but in the thinking of the guy who mis-configures his machine. If you lock access to your folders and expect services to have access to it, then you need to read the Windows manual. I must admit: it happened to me, too. It's been some 12 or more years ago on a NT 3.51, and I wasted days because of this (no Google at the time). But I've learned my lesson :-).

--

Michael

Simonfish
2008-05-02, 11:55
Ok, iTunes clearly is deactivated. You could disable the plugin completely (needs a restart) to be sure.

How do I do that?

Why did you think it was scanning the iTunes library at all? Have you been using iTunes in SS6.x?

Well, for starters it has gone and added all of the music in my iTunes library to Squeezecenter. That's really annoying, since my iTunes library is a downsampled copy of my main library, so I now have two copies of everything listed in Squeezecenter. That plus the fact that during the initial scan of my library, it first reported scanning all the music files I told it to, and then reported scanning through iTunes, first the songs, then the playlists.

> Also, it would be advisable to add something
> to the readme regarding this, since like it or not, IE does still have
> a 70%+ market share.[/color]

What should we add to the readme? A recommendation for FireFox, Opera or Safari? We're fully supporting IE6(!) and any reasonable browser. It's a major pain, but I spend days to make this happen, _because_ IE is still the leading (in market share) browser. But we can't change the fact that IE is slower than other browsers.

A recommendation to use Firefox, Opera or Safari would be good, because the initial impression created by using Squeezecenter through IE is not a good one. I know dealing with tuning for multiple browsers is a huge pain in the butt, and that the tools for development in FF are great (as opposed to the almost-nonexistant tools for IE). I especially pity you for having to deal with IE 6 and really, anyone still using that needs some help. But every other interactive site relying heavily on Javascript manages to get their stuff running acceptably on IE 7. Squeezecenter shouldn't be an exception.

SC will _not_ scan any folder unless a.) you tell it to do so (by defining it as music or playlist folder), or b.) if you happen to have a shortcut/playlist/cue sheet in your music/playlist folder, pointing to this outside folder. Please make sure you don't have any of them. Some ripping software creates them automatically without telling you.

Well, I just searched every non-audio file in my music folder, and not one refers to "My Music" (or anything else that isn't in my music folder).

> There is another bug hiding in there, too: users sets up SC which scans[/color]
That's not a bug in the software, but in the thinking of the guy who mis-configures his machine. If you lock access to your folders and expect services to have access to it, then you need to read the Windows manual. I must admit: it happened to me, too. It's been some 12 or more years ago on a NT 3.51, and I wasted days because of this (no Google at the time). But I've learned my lesson :-).

We'll just have to disagree on where responsibility lies for this. But one of these days, someone is going to come up on this forum and say that they switched from running SC as an app to running it as a service ...

Thanks for your help.

- S

JJZolx
2008-05-02, 13:11
The old web skin, now called "Classic", still exists, but is not the default. You can easily change over to using that skin. It's a lot more responsive, even though some of the AJAX stuff did manage to work it's way in for the 7.0 release.

I'm still running 6.5.5 for my main system, which does everything that system needs - namely playing Flac files from my library and little else. I have a custom skin, closely based on the old Default, that didn't come close to making the transition to 7.0 and would be way too much work to get it conform. If there's nothing in 7.0 that you need, you might just stick with 6.5.