PDA

View Full Version : What's the definition of "New Music"?

SuffolkPunch
2008-04-30, 05:04
Hi there!

What determines which songs appear under "New Music" in the SqueezeCenter Music Library?

In my case it looks like it lists the 100 most recently added albums, in accession order. Is that what it does? Is it possible to reduce the figure of 100 down to (say) 10 or 20?

My version Info:

SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0 - 17793 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.1.4
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

iPhone
2008-04-30, 05:19
Hi there!

What determines which songs appear under "New Music" in the SqueezeCenter Music Library?

In my case it looks like it lists the 100 most recently added albums, in accession order. Is that what it does? Is it possible to reduce the figure of 100 down to (say) 10 or 20?

My version Info:

SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0 - 17793 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.1.4
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

Yes. To adjust: Click on Setting in the lower right corner of SC. Click on Music Library. Scroll down to New Music Limit and change the value to what you want to use. Click Apply at the bottom right of the page. Close Setting window. Not sure if you need to restart SC but if the change does not show immediately, then restart SC.

SuffolkPunch
2008-04-30, 07:52
Many thanks!

SuffolkPunch
2008-04-30, 11:39
Hi iPhone!

You wrote:

"Yes. To adjust: Click on Setting in the lower right corner of SC. Click on Music Library. Scroll down to New Music Limit and change the value to what you want to use. Click Apply at the bottom right of the page. Close Setting window. Not sure if you need to restart SC but if the change does not show immediately, then restart SC."

Did all that. The good news is SC now just shows the 20 most recently added albums in New Music. The bad news is my duet controller still displays the long list - after restarting it and SC a couple of times.

Am I doing someting dumb?

funkstar
2008-04-30, 13:26
looks like the Controlers 200 item list is fixed. I have my New music set to 1,000 in SqueezeCenter and both the web interface and my SB3 obey this, but JiveOS doesn't.

I'll file an enhancement request.

funkstar
2008-04-30, 13:35
Bug 8020 submitted

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8020

SuffolkPunch
2008-05-01, 11:59
If I have two albums, each containing several songs with different time stamps, then which album is deemed the most recent entrant to the New Music list by SC?

Judging from my system it looks like the album which has the most recent oldest song wins (is deemed most recent), and if there's a tie (two oldest songs have the same time stamp) then the album with the most recent youngest song wins.

Is that what happens?

If so, then I would prefer an album's time stamp to be that of it's most recent song. Period. That way, a multi-song podcast series which last for years (e.g Security Now!) will always come out near the top of the New Music list on the day I add it.

Comments?

JJZolx
2008-05-01, 12:26
SqueezeCenter is probably using the the time of the first 'track' of the album, in the order that it scans the tracks, which is usually alphabetically by filename. As you add tracks it may re-evaluate this (or it may not), but it will keep using the date and time of the first track.

A couple things you could try:

Use a tag editor to update some bit of metadata in all the files, so that all the tracks of the podcast series end up with the same mod time.

Give the newest podcasts names so that they comes first within the series when sorted alphabetically. I'm not sure if a simple new/changed rescan will reset the album's date, but a clear/rescan should.

File an enhancement for album mtime to use that of the most recent track in the album.