PDA

View Full Version : New Slim Website

morris_minor
2008-04-29, 01:12
Ok, so it's a bit off topic for these forums (fora?) - but come on guys, get your CSS right for us Opera using people (on a Mac)!

In the forum pages the width expands or contracts with the browser - the main menu bar slides under the SD logo if the window's too narrow. On the main site though, with fixed width pages, the bar doesn't move and the last item - About Us - wraps underneath. Firefox on a Mac's OK; haven't tried IE on a PC yet - but I guess that's what you designed it on (or for) in the first place.

I know I'm probably in a very small minority here, but in my day job I manage a University website, and we do lots of cross-browser/cross-platform testing . . . .

But the site's got a new, fresh look - and that's good :o)

Bob

mherger
2008-04-29, 01:24
> On the main site though, with fixed width pages, the bar doesn't move
> and the last item - About Us - wraps underneath. Firefox on a Mac's OK;
> haven't tried IE on a PC yet - but I guess that's what you designed it
> on (or for) in the first place.

Being in the same (Opera user) minority as you I can't reproduce this
issue. What Opera version are you using?

Michael

morris_minor
2008-04-29, 01:55
Hi Michael - isn't web development wonderful? You can never predict what people will really see . . .

Here's my Opera details:

Bob

mherger
2008-04-29, 02:45
> Here's my Opera details:

Waaay outdated. 9.21? 9.27 is the latest ;-). I'm on Windows right now
(with Opera 9.26). Will test on my Mac when I'm at the office.

Michael

morris_minor
2008-04-29, 03:19
I'm now on

Version 9.27
Build 3731
Platform MacOS X
System 10.4.11
Java Java Runtime Environment installed

But - I still get the same problem (and I've cleared the browser cache, too).

B

Of course, if I'd read this thread
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=46936
I'd have realised this new skin is an intermediate step to something else . . . and perhaps Opera issues on a Mac aren't such a big deal. But since the old site was perfectly serviceable, why not just go straight to the new, final, look?

egd
2008-04-29, 04:21
is there any way to get rid of that horrible white background? hurts my eyes even looking at the screen.

mherger
2008-04-29, 05:34
> Version 9.27
>
> But - I still get the same problem (and I've cleared the browser cache,
> too).

I would have been surprised if the version had fixed the issue :-). But I can confirm that Opera on Mac does show this odd behaviour. You not only need to be in the minority of Opera users, but Opera on Mac, too...

--

Michael

morris_minor
2008-04-29, 06:04
>
You not only need to be in the minority of Opera users, but Opera on Mac, too...
--
Michael

I feel very special . . . :o)

Out of interest, do you know if web stats are collected on the site? How many visitors, where from, etc

B

mherger
2008-04-29, 06:13
> Out of interest, do you know if web stats are collected on the site?
> How many visitors, where from, etc

I think marketing does so. Matthew mentioned the new layout being based on some number saying that >9x% were using scrrens larger than 800x600. They must be collecting more information than just this. But I don't know the details.

--

Michael

FredFredrickson
2008-04-29, 08:17
I'm using Opera 9.10 in windows, design looks good for me. Must be a Mac.

Opera users UNITE!

remd
2008-04-30, 00:42
I can confirm it does the same with Opera on Linux than on Mac.

My version info:
Version information
Version
Build
Platform
Linux
System
i686, 2.6.22-14-386
Qt library
Java
Java Runtime Environment installed
Browser identification

Opera/9.27 (X11; Linux i686; U; en)

matmar10
2008-04-30, 14:59
Ok, so it's a bit off topic for these forums (fora?) - but come on guys, get your CSS right for us Opera using people (on a Mac)!

In the forum pages the width expands or contracts with the browser - the main menu bar slides under the SD logo if the window's too narrow. On the main site though, with fixed width pages, the bar doesn't move and the last item - About Us - wraps underneath. Firefox on a Mac's OK; haven't tried IE on a PC yet - but I guess that's what you designed it on (or for) in the first place.

I know I'm probably in a very small minority here, but in my day job I manage a University website, and we do lots of cross-browser/cross-platform testing . . . .

But the site's got a new, fresh look - and that's good :o)

Bob

Sorry about that Bob! For some reason this doesn't show up in my Opera running on windows ( yes, shame on me for running windows ).

I'll try to get this fixed ASAP!

Thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers,

Matthew

morris_minor
2008-05-01, 01:00
Thanks Matthew . . .

Were you doing web development in the good old days of Netscape 4 and IE4? It was a black art getting cross browser stuff going with any sort of "cutting edge" features then. On our University sites we still get odd hits from Netscape 4 users - but all they see are unstyled pages :o)

Bob