PDA

View Full Version : New site design

funkstar
2008-04-28, 12:16
threw me for a minute when I first logged in. Actually "bloody hell!" is what i first thought.

Looks quite nice though now i've been looking at it for a few minutes :)

The greys of the forum need changed though ;)

JJZolx
2008-04-28, 13:11
I don't get the continued use of the 'Slim Devices' company name... I thought Slim Devices was kaput.

JJZolx
2008-04-28, 13:23
Is it just me or has the text size or font changed within the forum's Message boxes? Maybe from Verdana to Arial?

As for the web design...

I find the outer black border to be visually annoying.

It's too wide. I hate web sites that insist I use a 1000 pixel wide browser window rather than using a properly designed liquid layout to handle the user's window size. There are limits to how small any site will properly resize, but setting the minimum usable width to 1000 pixels is nasty.

And, of course, the site doesn't work in IE6.

iPhone
2008-04-28, 13:31
I don't get the continued use of the 'Slim Devices' company name... I thought Slim Devices was kaput.

I like the continued use of Slim Devices. And I think it is better when Companies that get bought out keep their logo active and have the parent company get their name in on the act by saying, "A X-brand Company". Everybody then knows Slim Devices didn't just disappear and everybody knows who bought them that way. More importantly in this case, both brands have a lot going for them, why not use what has already been built.

Coke and Band-aid are logo brands that have become household everyday words. Slim Devices and/or the use of Squeezebox probably wants to be synonymous with Network Media Player. Just like most people refer to any MP3 player as an iPod whether it is or not.

iPhone
2008-04-28, 13:33
Is it just me or has the text size or font changed within the forum's Message boxes? Maybe from Verdana to Arial?

As for the web design...

I find the outer black border to visually annoying.

It's too wide. I hate web sites that insist I use a 1000 pixel wide browser window rather than using a properly designed liquid layout to handle the user's window size. There are limits to how small any site will properly resize, but setting the minimum usable width to 1000 pixels is nasty.

Hey Jim,

I am using IE 6.0.29 without any issues. What do you have going on?

amcluesent
2008-04-28, 13:33
Seen worse, certainly seen better.

I was using Stylish in Firefox to mess with the CSS on th eold site anyhow, should be easy to tweak this...

JJZolx
2008-04-28, 13:34
Coke and Band-aid are logo brands that have become household everyday words. Slim Devices and/or the use of Squeezebox probably wants to be synonymous with Network Media Player. Just like most people refer to any MP3 player as an iPod whether it is or not.

I would understand it if the brand name were still alive, but the name is very very dead.

JJZolx
2008-04-28, 13:35
I am using IE 6.0.29 without any issues. What do you have going on?

Try it in Firefox.

Skunk
2008-04-28, 13:47
Not sure if this is a work in progress, but the main menu could use some help IMO. I don't particularly care for the right justification, and think it could be fixed by giving some right padding so the dropdown and text within can left justify with the titles. Like this one: http://www.logitech.com/.

Or better yet ditch the fake buttons and use something out of one of the UI design bins like SqueezeOS, which might help promote a consistent feel between the devices and site. I always liked how the old site matched the old web UI, even though neither was great.

ddewey
2008-04-28, 13:47
Quoting amcluesent (amcluesent.38lgwb1209414902 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> Seen worse, certainly seen better.
>
> I was using Stylish in Firefox to mess with the CSS on th eold site
> anyhow, should be easy to tweak this...
>

My biggest issue with the site is that I CAN'T BUY A CONTROLLER ON IT!

matmar10
2008-04-28, 14:12
Thanks, everyone, for the initial feedback on the new look for SlimDevices.com!

To give y'all a little background info -- this skin is a sort of "intermediary".

So, in short, if you love the new look, great! If you hate the new look, no worries -- it's only temporary.

I'm currently working with a REAL visual designer on a MUCH nicer and richer design that will be the permanent SlimDevices.com look and feel. This is going on in parallel while I work to deploy a content management system and while MattW beefs up our IT infrastructure.

In the meantime, so long as our web properites are *.slimdevices, we'll be using the SlimDevices logo to make it clear that these are destination sites specific to all things Squeezebox/Transporter and not part of the greater Logitech.com.

Also, I'm currently working to fix the IE6 bugs, so those of you using IE6, my apologies (for more than one reason, hehe ;-) )

Feel free to post feedback here, or if you're comfortable doing so, file bugs against any genuine issues you may find.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Cheers,

Matthew

JJZolx
2008-04-28, 14:22
Feel free to post feedback here, or if you're comfortable doing so, file bugs against any genuine issues you may find.

Matthew, welcome to the forums. You seldom see anyone release an "intermediate" web site design to a live web site, but I assume you guys have a reason for doing so. I'm not sure what the point would be of filing bugs if we're not seeing at least a beta of the final design.

coldslabs
2008-04-28, 14:24
My browser (FF 2.0) says the order form is not secure:
https://secure.slimdevices.com/order/upgrades.cgi

Millwood
2008-04-28, 15:20
Intermediate or not - some feedback.

This site is used for information. Visual Designers tend to make things pretty and useless - see for example Zune software as an extreme example.

This sample, for example, has wide margins - which eat up screen realestate to get a look.

We just need a way to get lots of info, in a clear font, on the screen.

If you want to spend money, IMHO spend it on better search.

erland
2008-04-28, 15:50

As already mentioned, some of the links in the top menu doesn't work when standing on http://forums.slimdevices.com, for example "Buy Now->Players & Controllers". Although, the links seems to be correct if you goto http://www.slimdevices.com and look at the top menu.

The outer border with the rounded corners don't make sense to me in the SqueezeCenter default skin and doesn't make sense to me on the web site, but I guess it's just a matter of taste. As long as my web browser window has square corners I see no reason to waste space inside it with a black border. I might have felt different if the web browser window was transparent, so it might just be my Firefox 2.0 browser that is getting old.

The logo is a bit confusing I would have thought you would change that to a Logitech logo, what company should I refer to when talking about the SqueezeBox products ?
- Logitech ?
- Logitech Streaming Media Systems ?
- Slim Devices ?

I would love to be able to refer to Slim Devices again, but I thought that brand was dead ?

MrSinatra
2008-04-28, 16:00
just out of curiosity:

is the new site powered by drupal, or wordpress, or the forums or wiki?

and will the new site integrate everything such that when one registers with say the forum, they are also registered for wiki and bugzilla, and so on? (not to mention the logitech forums and faq and so on)

would be neat to know how you do the site and if it has those goals. thx, -mdw

matmar10
2008-04-28, 16:21
Matthew, welcome to the forums. You seldom see anyone release an "intermediate" web site design to a live web site, but I assume you guys have a reason for doing so. I'm not sure what the point would be of filing bugs if we're not seeing at least a beta of the final design.

Thanks for the welcome!

Very good point -- to clarify, this design is NOT a beta of the final design, but rather a hybridized version of SlimDevices, Logitech, and SqueezeNetwork.

As far as 'bugs' go, I meant this more in the 'this link is broken, fix it' sense. You're definetely right, though, that it's not worth bug hunting for this skin, but if you find obvious broken-ness, feel free to post or shoot one of us an email and I'll get it fixed ASAP.

matmar10
2008-04-28, 16:30

As for the web design...

I find the outer black border to be visually annoying.

946 pixels to be exact ... this was based on our traffic statistics which indicated < 1% of traffic using 800x600 or lower resolution. You'll notice the wiki and forums use an expanding width layout. Actually, I initially tried an 800x600 compatible layout, but the consensus was it appeared much too cramped.

As everyone knows, the cliche compromise in web design is always between fixed-size/predictable and dynamic-size/less-predictably. We obviously opted for the former in the interest of time and simplicity since the existing content is all fixed size.

On a side note, I do hope to implement a low-res alternative of the final design once the CMS is deployed :-) (I do the majority of my random browsing via my mobile).

radish
2008-04-28, 16:32
As far as 'bugs' go, I meant this more in the 'this link is broken, fix it' sense. You're definetely right, though, that it's not worth bug hunting for this skin, but if you find obvious broken-ness, feel free to post or shoot one of us an email and I'll get it fixed ASAP.

The wiki link in the menu is broken, works if I hit Support and go from the landing page.

matmar10
2008-04-28, 16:37
As already mentioned, some of the links in the top menu doesn't work when standing on http://forums.slimdevices.com, for example "Buy Now->Players & Controllers". Although, the links seems to be correct if you goto http://www.slimdevices.com and look at the top menu.

The outer border with the rounded corners don't make sense to me in the SqueezeCenter default skin and doesn't make sense to me on the web site, but I guess it's just a matter of taste. As long as my web browser window has square corners I see no reason to waste space inside it with a black border. I might have felt different if the web browser window was transparent, so it might just be my Firefox 2.0 browser that is getting old.

The logo is a bit confusing I would have thought you would change that to a Logitech logo, what company should I refer to when talking about the SqueezeBox products ?
- Logitech ?
- Logitech Streaming Media Systems ?
- Slim Devices ?

I would love to be able to refer to Slim Devices again, but I thought that brand was dead ?

The problem with forum navigation links should be fixed now.

Since it's still SlimDevices.com, the site still branded as such. You're right that EVENTUALLY this brand will fade in favor of the "Logitech Squeezebox" brand, but the time frame for that transition is TBD.

The plan is to have a visual site map when you are referred from an affiliate site (such as Logitech.com or SqueezeNetwork.com) that indicates "you are here".

Speaking of names, it's worth noting our "BU" (Logi-jargon for Business Unit) has a new name/acronym: SMBU (Streaming Media Business Unit). Not surprisingly, too many people confused SMS with txt sent from a mobile :-P

Thanks for the feedback!

iPhone
2008-04-28, 19:40
Thanks, everyone, for the initial feedback on the new look for SlimDevices.com!

To give y'all a little background info -- this skin is a sort of "intermediary".

So, in short, if you love the new look, great! If you hate the new look, no worries -- it's only temporary.

I'm currently working with a REAL visual designer on a MUCH nicer and richer design that will be the permanent SlimDevices.com look and feel. This is going on in parallel while I work to deploy a content management system and while MattW beefs up our IT infrastructure.

In the meantime, so long as our web properites are *.slimdevices, we'll be using the SlimDevices logo to make it clear that these are destination sites specific to all things Squeezebox/Transporter and not part of the greater Logitech.com.

Also, I'm currently working to fix the IE6 bugs, so those of you using IE6, my apologies (for more than one reason, hehe ;-) )

Cheers,

Matthew

Hey Matthew,

Could we get a link straight to the Forums on the new main page without going through support. I know that I can create a Favorite, but I never use them. I just type an "S" on the URL bar and select SlimDevices.com from the list. That would be my short wish list. Looking forward to the new design.

radish
2008-04-28, 19:53
Hey Matthew,

Could we get a link straight to the Forums on the new main page without going through support. I know that I can create a Favorite, but I never use them. I just type an "S" on the URL bar and select SlimDevices.com from the list. That would be my short wish list. Looking forward to the new design.

It is a direct link from the menu...or just do what I do and type "f" in the URL bar and select forums.slimdevices.com :)

matmar10
2008-04-28, 20:28
just out of curiosity:

is the new site powered by drupal, or wordpress, or the forums or wiki?

and will the new site integrate everything such that when one registers with say the forum, they are also registered for wiki and bugzilla, and so on? (not to mention the logitech forums and faq and so on)

would be neat to know how you do the site and if it has those goals. thx, -mdw

The current skin (I've been calling this "Logiskin") is just a set of php 'hooks' into the old site's SSI stuff.

As far as the future site (I've been calling this "TKO"), your first guess was right on the money (or, rather, right on the OpenSource ;-) Drupal it is. I'm VERY excited about this -- this will represent a functionally new site with a much richer experience.

For example, I'd like to include a module to track user contributed plug-ins similar to what Mozilla Firefox does so everyone can vote, rank, comment etc. Others could be something daily 'tip', background img, SC/SN skin, etc ... There's many exciting possibilities, this is just one example.

RE logins, we most definetely would like to harmonize *.slim & SqueezeNetwork logins -- I'm not sure precisely what form this will take (or when) but this certainly will be improved and simplified while still maintaining a high level of security and privacy. Not a simple task, but well worth it (will pay for itself simply in the time 1 employee spends managing/logging in to various accounts ;-).

autopilot
2008-04-29, 02:56
This is all very odd. I suspect there must be more going on behind the scenes, maybe some disagreements about branding.

Since it's still SlimDevices.com, the site still branded as such.

Why? That makes no sense. Simply redirect all traffic that head for the old URL to a new one.

You're right that EVENTUALLY this brand will fade in favor of the "Logitech Squeezebox" brand, but the time frame for that transition is TBD.

"Slim" has been killed everywhere, the software, the marketing, the hardware. Why confuse matters by keeping it on the website. New (potential) customers will be confused.

And why EVENTUALLY? Where has the uncertainty come from now? I thought it was pretty clear cut, the decision was made and you wasted no time in it getting rid of the name elsewhere. Now the decision is to stall it for some reason?

Could this be indication that you are starting to realise what an absolutely HUGE mistake killing the Slim Devices brand is?

For what its worth i am not that bothered really, but it's a shame to lose Slim Devices. I know this discussion have been done to death and i will still buy your products. It just makes no sense to do this!

Cheers for all the work, i think the new site is much nicer :)

mherger
2008-04-29, 03:11
> Could this be indication that you are starting to realise what an
> absolutely HUGE mistake killing the Slim Devices brand is?

Yes indeed. Logitech mice soon will be re-labelled SlimDevices. After all
they've been following our philosophy of having powerful software running
dumb devices for years.

Michael

ceejay
2008-04-29, 04:52
The problem with forum navigation links should be fixed now.

Not entirely. From the "buttons" at the top, while in the Forum, Community->Forums and Community->Wiki are broken.

Edit: And Support -> Forums, though not exactly broken, is incorrect

Ceejay

peter
2008-04-29, 04:59
autopilot wrote:
> "Slim" has been killed everywhere, the software, the marketing, the
> hardware. Why confuse matters by keeping it on the website. New
> (potential) customers will be confused.
>

The Transporter is still marketed under the SD name IIRC.

Regards,
Peter

JJZolx
2008-04-29, 08:30

They probably made one production run of the faceplates.

erland
2008-04-29, 09:27
For example, I'd like to include a module to track user contributed plug-ins similar to what Mozilla Firefox does so everyone can vote, rank, comment etc. Others could be something daily 'tip', background img, SC/SN skin, etc ... There's many exciting possibilities, this is just one example.

I suppose you have already done so, but if you haven't, make sure to integrate this with SqueezeCenter as a plugin download/install manager for third party plugins has been planned for a future SqueezeCenter release.

morris_minor
2008-04-29, 09:46
autopilot wrote:
> "Slim" has been killed everywhere, the software, the marketing, the
> hardware. Why confuse matters by keeping it on the website. New
> (potential) customers will be confused.
>

Regards,
Peter

In the aptly-named graphic on the site "knobdetail-full-withlogo" it seems SD branding on the TP is being dropped . . . (but not in favour of Logitech?)

kdf
2008-04-29, 10:10
>
> peter;296735 Wrote:
>> autopilot wrote:
>> > "Slim" has been killed everywhere, the software, the marketing, the
>> > hardware. Why confuse matters by keeping it on the website. New
>> > (potential) customers will be confused.
>> >
>>
>> The Transporter is still marketed under the SD name IIRC.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Peter
>
> In the aptly-named graphic on the site "knobdetail-full-withlogo" it
> seems SD branding on the TP is being dropped . . . (but not in favour
> of Logitech?)

I believe that this is what was stated a while back in the unreadably long
logo threads.

-kdf

Sike
2008-04-29, 10:25
Is there no link to forums.slimdevices.com or can i just not find it?

matmar10
2008-04-29, 10:26
This is all very odd. I suspect there must be more going on behind the scenes, maybe some disagreements about branding.

Why? That makes no sense. Simply redirect all traffic that head for the old URL to a new one.

"Slim" has been killed everywhere, the software, the marketing, the hardware. Why confuse matters by keeping it on the website. New (potential) customers will be confused.

And why EVENTUALLY? Where has the uncertainty come from now? I thought it was pretty clear cut, the decision was made and you wasted no time in it getting rid of the name elsewhere. Now the decision is to stall it for some reason?

Could this be indication that you are starting to realise what an absolutely HUGE mistake killing the Slim Devices brand is?

For what its worth i am not that bothered really, but it's a shame to lose Slim Devices. I know this discussion have been done to death and i will still buy your products. It just makes no sense to do this!

Cheers for all the work, i think the new site is much nicer :)

All good questions that I unfortunately don't have the answers to. These are decisions for much higher-ups with a great breadth of branding expertise than myself =) "Stay Tuned".

matmar10
2008-04-29, 10:29
Is there no link to forums.slimdevices.com or can i just not find it?

Are you using IE6? The drop downs are broken in IE6 -- I'm currently working on getting a fix for this rolled out.

An alternative (in the meantime before the menu is fixed in IE6) you can click on "Support" and click the link in the 3rd paragraph.

matmar10
2008-04-29, 10:30
Not entirely. From the "buttons" at the top, while in the Forum, Community->Forums and Community->Wiki are broken.

Edit: And Support -> Forums, though not exactly broken, is incorrect

Ceejay

Good catch! Thanks -- should be fixed, now.

ceejay
2008-04-29, 14:06
Good catch! Thanks -- should be fixed, now.

Sorry, no. Only fixed one out of three (wiki)

Ceejay

Triode
2008-04-29, 16:10
I notice text is smaller on a Nokia tablet with the new skin - could we have an option to use the default skin or minimise the border for small screens.

bpa
2008-04-29, 16:14
How to access the old wiki ? wikiradio is now broken.

Also other wiki pages with attachment (e.g. Infobrowser) are not available in new wiki.

JJZolx
2008-04-29, 18:55
Forum issues.

As I mentioned before, I'm pretty certain that the font within text areas ("Message" boxes) is being affected by the surrounding skin. The previous font was probably Verdana, or maybe a fixed width, now it's the much more difficult to read Arial.

Another thing is that the popup boxes in the forums (Search, Quick Links, Forum Tools) are misplaced and now appear about 50-70 pixels below where they should.

mvalera
2008-04-29, 21:42
Was just poking around in the admin screen, Verdana is still the default Font, and I don't think Matthew changed the size.

Our email is down but I txt'd him about the nav bar issues.

Mike

JJZolx
2008-04-30, 01:03
Was just poking around in the admin screen, Verdana is still the default Font, and I don't think Matthew changed the size.

I'm defininitely not seeing Verdana in the Message boxes. Like I said, something in the surrounding skin must be affecting it.

Sike
2008-04-30, 02:05
Yes IE6 -- No Dropdowns

bigfool1956
2008-04-30, 07:04
Nice and quiet in the forums since the new skin broke IE6. Came to work today, couldn't get in, until I correctly guessed the URL for the forums.

Sitting in favourites now :)))

Problem: same as others have reported, no drop down menus.

JimC
2008-04-30, 12:14
They probably made one production run of the faceplates.

Actually, for the last several months, the faceplates say "transporter". The packaging has only recently changed to Logitech though... but since Transporter's not exactly a shelf product, there wasn't a big need to change it.

-=> Jim

Triode
2008-04-30, 15:19
Dropdowns don't seem to work well from Nokia tablet either - the top level item gets selected.

More significant is loss of useful screen space due to the fixed width border - can this be removed ?

mvalera
2008-04-30, 16:04
Removing the border is likely not an option. The other issues will be addressed, Matthew is working on them as fast as he can.

Mike

mvalera
2008-05-01, 17:48
So Matthew and I were poking around, and verdana is the font being used.

If you guys would like to check for yourself, the Firefox plugin Firebug will tell you exactly what is going on. It's one of Matthew's favorite development tools.

Also the skin as is was not intended for mobile use. Matthew will be creating a skin specifically for that.

JJZolx
2008-05-01, 18:26
So Matthew and I were poking around, and verdana is the font being used.

If you guys would like to check for yourself, the Firefox plugin Firebug will tell you exactly what is going on. It's one of Matthew's favorite development tools.

Also the skin as is was not intended for mobile use. Matthew will be creating a skin specifically for that.

I feel silly arguing about it, except that I think it does impact usability. They're very easy to tell apart.

The easiest way for me to tell, besides the very large difference in kerning, is the capital letter J, which looks very different in Verdana and Arial. All you need to do is see the difference within a Message textarea and the text shown on the page, as in a message preview.

JJJJJJJJJJ

And Firebug tells me that the message textarea is indeed using Arial, as specified in the file logiskin_header_footer.css (line 572). See the screenshot from Firebug. Note that the font color in the textbox is also affected. I'm pretty sure it used to be black.

select, textarea, input {
color: #333333;
font-family:arial,lucida,helvetica,sans-serif;

If you're specifying styles for generic elements like this, they're bound to get picked up to some extent when you try to embed a third party application in your pages, with potentially a lot of side effects.

pippin
2008-05-02, 02:43
Could it be that the favicon on the SD page has changed to be the same as SC's?

I HATE THAT!!!!

I usually have around 30 tabs open on firefox, some of them SD and some SC and now I will mix 'em all up. That's not nice.
Of course I can change the favicon in SC (and I will) but still, maybe some others see the same issue...

matmar10
2008-05-02, 16:11
Dropdowns don't seem to work well from Nokia tablet either - the top level item gets selected.

More significant is loss of useful screen space due to the fixed width border - can this be removed ?

I've reduced this padding on the expanding width layout so you'll now only "lose" a mere total of 4px on either axis.

matmar10
2008-05-02, 16:14
I feel silly arguing about it, except that I think it does impact usability. They're very easy to tell apart.

The easiest way for me to tell, besides the very large difference in kerning, is the capital letter J, which looks very different in Verdana and Arial. All you need to do is see the difference within a Message textarea and the text shown on the page, as in a message preview.

JJJJJJJJJJ

And Firebug tells me that the message textarea is indeed using Arial, as specified in the file logiskin_header_footer.css (line 572). See the screenshot from Firebug. Note that the font color in the textbox is also affected. I'm pretty sure it used to be black.

select, textarea, input {
color: #333333;
font-family:arial,lucida,helvetica,sans-serif;

If you're specifying styles for generic elements like this, they're bound to get picked up to some extent when you try to embed a third party application in your pages, with potentially a lot of side effects.

I removed those offending lines so you should no longer see Arial anywhere in the page body. =)

Thanks again for the feedback.

Cheers,

matmar10
2008-05-02, 16:29
Could it be that the favicon on the SD page has changed to be the same as SC's?

I HATE THAT!!!!

I usually have around 30 tabs open on firefox, some of them SD and some SC and now I will mix 'em all up. That's not nice.
Of course I can change the favicon in SC (and I will) but still, maybe some others see the same issue...

I feel your pain! I use the favicon similarly. I got a request to use our favicon in place of the default one, but I've put back the default VBB favicon for now -- we should make separate ones to differentiate each site. Perhaps SBDuet for one site, Transporter for another, etc. Something along that line so each specific site can be easily visually differentiated from it's tabbed form.

matmar10
2008-05-02, 16:35
Yes IE6 -- No Dropdowns

Coming soon! There was a JS workaround for IE6 I had in before, but had to remove as it conflicted (in a very noticeable ugly way) with forum's "hybrid" mode's JS.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your continued patience whilst the fix gets rolled out.

ceejay
2008-05-03, 00:26
Not sure if this is a problem with the new site or with the new wiki, but http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/HardwareComparison is broken on Firefox (2.0.0.6). The table is too wide to fit on my screen but there is no scroll bar and apparently no way to get to the info off to the right - as this is the stuff that relates to the current models, this is quite annoying!

schiegl
2008-05-03, 01:18
don't know if you're aware of javascript dropdowns (those of the forum) being displayed misaligned with firefox 2 & ie7, windows xp...

kind regards,
Markus

JJZolx
2008-05-05, 10:37
Looks like more testing and development on the live web site. Who in the world does that in this day and age?

What was the big rush to get this site published anyway?

MrSinatra
2008-05-05, 22:54
forgive me if this is already mentioned elsewhere...

but as of today, after i make a post on the message board, if i then go back to edit it, i can edit it, but when i click save i am not taken anywhere. the info does in fact seem to save, but its kinda annoying that nothing happens after clicking it.

i also can't see the thread underneath when i'm editing, but i forget if i used to be able to do that before or not. it would be nice though.

(IE7)

MrSinatra
2008-05-05, 22:57
the first point stands.

forget the last point though, i now see the thread is above, not below.

mherger
2008-05-05, 23:12
> but as of today, after i make a post on the message board, if i then go
> back to edit it, i can edit it, but when i click save i am not taken
> anywhere. the info does in fact seem to save, but its kinda annoying
> that nothing happens after clicking it.

The masters of this forum must have heard my pleas! Editing postings is
evil! :-)

I'm following the discussions using the mailing list. Edits don't make it
to the list. Pretty often I miss important information because the OP
decides to change his initial posting.

BTW: I noticed the issue yesterday when I wanted to edit one of my
postings... Will forward the report to the masters.

Michael

MrSinatra
2008-05-05, 23:18
:)

i can't imagine either not having the power to edit (my spelling and grammar can be atrocious) or trying to follow these forums in email! that blows me away that anyone can do that.

thx for the referral.

bpa
2008-05-06, 00:12
The "Forum tools" and "Search this forum" buttons will open if you pass your mouse (no clicking) over them once you have clicked on the top bar search "Search".

This is very annoying if window is not full width - try the following.
1. With Forum window about 1/2 screen wide. Select a Forum to display (e.g. General Discussion).
2. Click on the Search button from the Register/Todays posts/Search bar. A search window should open up just below "Forum Tools" and "Search This forum".
3. Moving mouse directly from "Search" button to "Search box" will pass over "Forum Tools" or "Search This Fourm" whose window will open and "Search" window will disappear. The only way to get to the Search box is go around any other button.

JJZolx
2008-05-06, 00:38
The "Forum tools" and "Search this forum" buttons will open if you pass your mouse (no clicking) over them once you have clicked on the top bar search "Search".

This is very annoying if window is not full width - try the following.
1. With Forum window about 1/2 screen wide. Select a Forum to display (e.g. General Discussion).
2. Click on the Search button from the Register/Todays posts/Search bar. A search window should open up just below "Forum Tools" and "Search This forum".
3. Moving mouse directly from "Search" button to "Search box" will pass over "Forum Tools" or "Search This Fourm" whose window will open and "Search" window will disappear. The only way to get to the Search box is go around any other button.

That's because of the problem I mentioned a while ago - the boxes are appearing far lower in the window than they should. The Search box should be drawn immediately below the word Search, not 75 pixels lower. It's another case of CSS interference.

Here's how it should work:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/

bpa
2008-05-06, 01:07
Positioning is one part of the problem but search boxes shouldn't open just because you go over (no clicking) the button - that behaviour is OK for menus but not buttons.

JJZolx
2008-05-06, 01:16
Positioning is one part of the problem but search boxes shouldn't open just because you go over (no clicking) the button - that behaviour is OK for menus but not buttons.

What browser? I'm not seeing that behavior in either Firefox 2 or IE6. But once you click on any of the forum links that cause a popup box to appear, then the mouse remains active and mousing over any of the other similar links with boxes will cause one to close and another to open. That's the intended behavior.

bpa
2008-05-06, 01:28
Firefox 2.

The button bar is only available when you are NOT logged in.

But once you click on any of the forum links that cause a popup box to appear, then the mouse remains active and mousing over any of the other similar links with boxes will cause one to close and another to open. That's the intended behavior.

I didn't have this problem before perhaps the box positioning is showing up the problem so web page designer should not only correct positioning of text box but design the layout so that there are no other buttons which can be activated en-route from button to text box.

JJZolx
2008-05-06, 01:43
The button bar is only available when you are NOT logged in.

What are you call the "button bar"? I just get a slightly different set of links (such as 'Register') when not logged in. Search is there in both instances.

I didn't have this problem before perhaps the box positioning is showing up the problem so web page designer should not only correct positioning of text box but design the layout so that there are no other buttons which can be activated en-route from button to text box.

Normally those are covered up by the popup box or menu itself. If there were no space between the link/button and its popup box, then no other controls would normally be activated when you move the cursor.

bpa
2008-05-06, 01:54
What are you call the "button bar"? I just get a slightly different set of links (such as 'Register') when not logged in. Search is there in both instances.

Correct - the Search button is immediately above "Forum Tools" and "Search This Forum".

When you click "Search" the Search text box opens below "Forum Tools" and "Search This Forum" so as you move the mouse from the Search button (just clicked) to the Search box - it goes over either the "Forum Tools" or the "Search This Forum" button - whereupon the "Search" text box changes into either the "Forum Tools" box or the "Search This Forum" box - so you have to go back up to the "Search" button and then go around the "Forum Tools"/"Search This Forum" buttons to get to the "Search" Text box".

autopilot
2008-05-06, 02:41
Driving me mad today, the forum are virtually unusable. All the menu's like Quick Link and search appear way bellow where they should be and disappear when i move the cursor towards them.

bpa
2008-05-06, 02:57
This needs more testing.

The problem with the search boxes and then the changes when editing posts (Save seems to do nothing) should have been tested properly on a beta site not live.

This testing on a live site coupled with the dropping of the old Wiki pages with attachments such as Wikiradio and Infobrowser shows a lack of consideration for users.

Skunk
2008-05-06, 06:16
The loading speed of the forums has taken a big dive for me. One of the things I noticed was pages are scrolling automatically while the extended load time is happening, which seems odd on a text-only thread.

I suspect it's because vBulletin has been swallowed by the CMS, and think the forum would behave better in general if it were separate from it. Not sure if that's possible while retaining the CMS links above, but it would be nice for the borderline OCD page refreshers like me.

dennis55
2008-05-06, 11:32
Haven't had a problem with the new site design here,but i now only use Firefox 3 (Beta5); it's slick and quick!.

dennis

MrSinatra
2008-05-06, 14:59
> but as of today, after i make a post on the message board, if i then go
> back to edit it, i can edit it, but when i click save i am not taken
> anywhere. the info does in fact seem to save, but its kinda annoying
> that nothing happens after clicking it.

The masters of this forum must have heard my pleas! Editing postings is
evil! :-)

I'm following the discussions using the mailing list. Edits don't make it
to the list. Pretty often I miss important information because the OP
decides to change his initial posting.

BTW: I noticed the issue yesterday when I wanted to edit one of my
postings... Will forward the report to the masters.

Michael

fixed!

big thanks.

sdhubbard
2008-05-06, 15:44
I'm seeing the same problems with displacement of search and options boxes using Safari 3.1.1 and Firefox 3.0b5 on Mac OS X (the behaviour is the same in both browsers - it looks like about 80 pixels).

Mousing over the Search This Thread box on the way to the Search box causes it to disappear, too - I have to go around it if I want the Search box to stay on screen.

Steve

matmar10
2008-06-23, 13:48
I'm seeing the same problems with displacement of search and options boxes using Safari 3.1.1 and Firefox 3.0b5 on Mac OS X (the behaviour is the same in both browsers - it looks like about 80 pixels).

Mousing over the Search This Thread box on the way to the Search box causes it to disappear, too - I have to go around it if I want the Search box to stay on screen.

Steve

I FINALLY gave up on VBB support / forums and fixed this my own hackish way :-) Give me a heads up if the problem persists with any of the dropdowns.

funkstar
2008-06-23, 22:57
I FINALLY gave up on VBB support / forums and fixed this my own hackish way :-) Give me a heads up if the problem persists with any of the dropdowns.
Excellent work there :)

schiegl
2009-02-24, 13:32
Hi,

After the latest board software update this issue: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=298224#post298224 is back...

kind regards,
Markus

P.S. sorry for reviving a 6 months old thread ;)

mherger
2009-02-24, 20:51
> After the latest board software update this issue:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=298224#post298224 is
> back...

Please bookmark http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11191 so you
can re-open it whenever this happens again ;-)

Michael