PDA

View Full Version : Attention D-Link Users! (performance)

dmross
2008-04-27, 07:15
A few weeks ago I purchased a D-Link DIR-655 router to upgrade my home network to wireless-N. Around the same time I began to configure a few machines in my house to use SoftSqueeze and had upgraded SqueezeCenter to version 7. I also began using WPA2 for security.

Performance was terrible. Music would cut out, the web interface was terribly sluggish and I was nearing my wits end trying to make it run right. However there was a catch - for some reason I had no problems streaming through my SSH tunnel across the internet. SoftSqueeze ran great at work and the web interface was snappy, it was just unusable at home over the wireless LAN.

I had changed a good number of variables so troubleshooting was no fun. I tried changing SqueezeCenter to the text only interface, turning off security, etc. After fiddling with multiple router settings I have finally narrowed it down to the WISH & QoS features in the router. There are features that are designed to prioritize wireless & internet traffic and they are turned on by default. As soon as I disabled these features performance skyrocketed! There are no more delays and I can stream to 3 separate SoftSqueeze clients as well as over my SSH tunnel with no delay!

After reading about the WISH feature some more I think I can enable it again with some SqueezeCenter specific ports and make it work, but for now I am leaving it off. Without specific settings for SqueezeCenter, I'm pretty certain it was de-prioritizing traffic. Either that or the router hardware just isn't robust enough to do any kind of real packet shaping. I don't really think QoS is responsible but I am leaving it off anyway as I don't have any need for it.

I just wanted to share this as I assume there are plenty of folks with D-Link routers with these features and it was no fun troubleshooting. I don't know if my situation is unique based on my system architecture/encryption/etc. but hopefully it can help someone out there suffering. ;)

Jeff Flowerday
2008-04-27, 08:59
I've got a DIR-655 and the first thing I did was turn that stuff so mine has worked perfectly from the beginning.

ncarver
2008-04-27, 12:03
I also have a DIR-655, but I also turned all the QoS, etc. stuff off immediately (am using it as just an access point rather than a router, so had to initially do several configuration steps). Have never dropped any connections, and Duet works great with it, even from one downstairs corner of the house to the opposite upstairs corner, with not that strong a signal. Using it merely in "g mode," but it works much better than standard g routers.

jimj
2008-05-18, 12:58
On my D-Link DGL-4300 I unchecked "Advanced->Advanced Wireless->WMM Enable" and it seems to have helped my intermittent wireless issues.