PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeCenter slow; drops out; Time to return my duet?

rickoleum
2008-04-27, 02:03
I recently installed Squeezecenter 7.0 (to go with my new duet).

Previously I had been running slimserver 6.5.4 with my Squeezebox and the whole system worked perfectly w/ no issues and minimal fuss.

Immediately after installation, I noticed that the response time for Squeezecenter was very slow; Squeezecenter froze and hung up; songs cut in and out; the duet seemed to lose its connection; the duet would report that the player couldn't find the squeezecenter. (This happened with both my new receiver and my old squeezebox.)

I uninstalled Squeezecenter, reinstalled 6.5.4 and my old Squeezebox worked once again like a charm.

I have read through a number of posts involving folks with similar issues (I am running slimserver on windows xp, wired ethernet connection, relatively new belkin router). What I took from the posts is that there doesn't appear to be any clear fix. The various suggestions are either beyond my modest computer abilities or look like they'll take too much time.

I'm nearing the end of the 30-day return period for the duet and I have concluded that I will just have to send the duet back. This is disappointing because I am a huge fan of the squeezebox and was looking forward to being able to use (and my wife using) the small controller.

Am I missing something?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mnyb
2008-04-27, 02:19
Try the latest 7.01 instead of 7.0

It's a little contradictory that Logitech claims that 7.0 is the safe and stable and supported option.

The 7.0.1 wil in most cases be better, and i think they are very close to a final release of 7.01 .

If this wont work send it back and try again when things looks more stable :-)

I've only had my duet this weekend and it works really good :-)

On the other hand i've been on 7.01 for far longer with my SB3 without problems.

Maybe your main problem is getting 7.0 to work, if you send the duet back try the latest 7.1 or 7.01 from time to time to see if a stable and working version apears (by that i mean a version that works for you).
I've remember 7.01 to be a little messy on my XP i had to straighten out some firewall issues before it was OK (getting rid of Norton and install ESET).

Maybe you should investigate why 7.0 wont work on your XP, have you been in contact with the support ?

MickeyG
2008-04-27, 10:26
Rickoleum -- I would agree with Mnyb on all of his points. 7.01 has a bunch of changes that should help general wireless connectivity issues with the Duet and some wireless routers and access points. Please try installing the latest nightly and see if it helps. Make sure the firmware on the Squeezebox Controller is updated.

BTW, could you describe your situation further? Which Belkin router are you using? What country/wireless channel are you on? Does your connectivity situation become more stable the closer your Squeezebox Controller gets to the access point? Are you in an area with lots of other wireless networks?

If 7.01 does help, this info would be interesting. If 7.01 does not help, then please contact technical support to help resolve this issue. Our technical support team in Mt. View has years of experience helping customers with wireless issues.

Mickey

peter
2008-04-28, 02:43
MickeyG wrote:
> Rickoleum -- I would agree with Mnyb on all of his points. 7.01 has a
> bunch of changes that should help general wireless connectivity issues
> with the Duet and some wireless routers and access points. Please try
> installing the latest nightly and see if it helps. Make sure the
> firmware on the Squeezebox Controller is updated.
>
> BTW, could you describe your situation further? Which Belkin router are
> you using? What country/wireless channel are you on? Does your
> connectivity situation become more stable the closer your Squeezebox
> Controller gets to the access point? Are you in an area with lots of
> other wireless networks?
>
> If 7.01 does help, this info would be interesting. If 7.01 does not
> help, then please contact technical support to help resolve this issue.
> Our technical support team in Mt. View has years of experience helping
> customers with wireless issues.
>

I hope they read better than you, cause he says he's using a WIRED
connection! ;)

Rickoleum, please note that just after install SC does a full rescan. That may cause slowness and drop outs. Perhaps you could check that it's not still scanning for some reason. SC 7.0 runs fine for me.

Regards,
Peter

lanierb
2008-04-28, 10:39
MickeyG wrote:[color=blue]
I hope they read better than you, cause he says he's using a WIRED
connection! ;)

Regards,
Peter

Right back at you: what he wrote could be read either as wired duet connection or as wired PC connection so that's not even clear. Regardless, the controller is definitely wireless so that is still a likely source of problems.