PDA

View Full Version : Radio Volume vs FLAC volume

Skittler
2008-04-25, 05:50
I notice that when listening to some radio stations such as RadioIO I have to adjust the volume down by around 10dB (this is using the 'alternative volume display') to get the same level of output as when playing FLAC.

If I have previously been playing some FLAC at high volume, and I forget to adjust the volume setting before switching to radio (this often occurs when I switch on my SB3 the following day), then I'm in danger of breaking one or more of the following:
- my ears
- my speakers
- my windows

I'm assuming there's no way to control the overall volume of radio stations either through SC7 or through SqueezeNetwork, so would I be better off re-applying Replay Gain to all my FLAC files with a different target level so as to 'bring them up to' roughly the same volume as the radio? I have used FooBar2000 to apply Replay Gain.

andyg
2008-04-25, 05:59
It's a big problem, and currently the only radio service that supports replay gain is Pandora. It would be cool if live radio streams could provide some kind of header with a gain value to apply. Or if the player could auto-apply gain, but not sure how feasible that is.

strindberg
2008-04-25, 06:08
I wish SC could have a setting allowing one to set a default reduction for audio sources which lack a specified replay gain, so if one listened to internet radio there could be, say, a default -8 dB applied. That should be pretty easy to implement, in wait for a more sofisticated solution.

Ben Sandee
2008-04-25, 06:10
On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 7:50 AM, Skittler <
Skittler.38fbln1209128101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> I notice that when listening to some radio stations such as RadioIO I
> have to adjust the volume down by around 10dB (this is using the
> 'alternative volume display') to get the same level of output as when
> playing FLAC.

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but you might want to monitor this
enhancement request (or vote for it):

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2431

Ben

andyg
2008-04-25, 06:20
Yeah a static value for anything without gain would work, but the results would not be very good.

Skittler
2008-04-25, 07:53
I agree with strindberg that a fixed offset (optionally enabled) would be satisfactory and could hopefully be done as a quick temporary solution now, while we wait - possibly forever -for the ultimate solution.

In the meantime, does it make sense to re-apply Replay Gain with 0db instead of the -9dB (is it -9) that is the current standard?

cliveb
2008-04-25, 09:09
would I be better off re-applying Replay Gain to all my FLAC files with a different target level so as to 'bring them up to' roughly the same volume as the radio? I have used FooBar2000 to apply Replay Gain.
No, you definitely don't want to do that. The level of compression used on radio stations is so high that the target level you'd need to specify for ReplayGain would almost certainly result in clipping on most of your FLAC files.