PDA

View Full Version : Cover Art scaling artifacts in Squeezecenter?

Aguida
2008-04-25, 02:29
Some how my previous post disappeared so I am posting it again.

Has anybody experienced that scaling down of cover arts in the web-interface is introducing artifacts?

I have all my albums cover arts scanned in and saved at 500x500 as jpg images, however some looks pretty bad when scaled down by the Squeezecenter web ui.

I have attached an example of a cover art. The first picture shows the artifacts introduced by Squeezecenter, the second shows the picture full res (so there are no problems with the picture itself) and the third is the same picture as scaled down by Nero Photosnap Viewer (which shows that it can be scaled down correctly).

Has anybody else seen this problem? Should I open it as a bug?

Thanks.

mherger
2008-04-25, 03:00
> Has anybody experienced that scaling down of cover arts in the
> web-interface is introducing artifacts?

There will always be artifacts - but they shouldn't be as bad as you see it on your samples :-/. Are you running SC on a ReadyNAS?

--

Michael

Aguida
2008-04-25, 03:20

There will always be artifacts - but they shouldn't be as bad as you see it on your samples :-/. Are you running SC on a ReadyNAS?

--

Michael

No, just running out a windows vista machine. FOrgotten to mention that I am running out of the latest build.

Khuli
2008-04-25, 04:11

Actually I'm not surprised to see this at all. It's often the case that a picture with close horizontal lines (like the original) can just happen to have them averaged out into wider stripes, rather than have them merge to grey.

I't hasn't affected the text, and I'm guessing that 99% of your other album covers aren't affected either. You may be able to reduce the artifacts by changing the size of the original file a little - at some optimum size, they will probably disappear entirely.