PDA

View Full Version : Remove artist or album from Now Playing list

Skittler
2008-04-24, 01:05
In the old Fishbone skin, the ability to remove everything by a particular artist (or a whole album) from the Now Playing list in one click was very useful.

I know I could go back to Fishbone even now I use SC7, but as there is no equivalent in the default SC7 skin is it possible to do this from the remote somehow? Anyone want to write a plugin maybe?

JJZolx
2008-04-24, 01:20
In the old Fishbone skin, the ability to remove everything by a particular artist (or a whole album) from the Now Playing list in one click was very useful.

I know I could go back to Fishbone even now I use SC7, but as there is no equivalent in the default SC7 skin is it possible to do this from the remote somehow? Anyone want to write a plugin maybe?

No, I'm pretty certain that this just hasn't been implemented. Maybe for the sake of simplicity of the interface, but to be quite frank, this seems a little esoteric to me. How about the butt-simple ability to 'play next'? This is mssing from the current Default skin as well as the previous one.

mherger
2008-04-24, 01:37
> No, I'm pretty certain that this just hasn't been implemented.

Never tried to "inofficial" http://localhost:9000/?moreThanThis=1 url?

Michael

Skittler
2008-04-24, 01:59
Yes, I use this URL, which gets a few non-standard extras than the default skin.

http://192.168.2.101:9000/?moreThanThis=1

But those two functions that were available in Fishbone prior to SC7 are missing.

...this seems a little esoteric to me.
Typically, I'll load up a playlist in song-shuffle mode dand then realise that I'm not in the mood for a pariticular artist (or album). So, I'd like to delete everything by that artist (or from that album) from the playlist in one easy click, without having to search through and find each instance.
I found that to be very useful functionality.

chinablues
2008-04-24, 08:09
Typically, I'll load up a playlist in song-shuffle mode dand then realise that I'm not in the mood for a pariticular artist (or album). So, I'd like to delete everything by that artist (or from that album) from the playlist in one easy click, without having to search through and find each instance.
I found that to be very useful functionality.

Didn't know the functionality was there in the Fishbone skin (which I used prior to SC7). But I'd sure use it if it was there now for exactly the reasons you mention.

Dan

Skittler
2008-04-24, 09:35
chinablues, it is still there in SC7 in Fishbone. In fact I'm tempted to go back to using it rather than the all new and shiny SC7 Default skin for this one particular reason.

Try it.
In SC7 change to Fishbone.
Then in the 'Now Playing' area, it's the little [x] markers next to the words Artist and Album.
Very useful.

JJZolx
2008-04-24, 18:26
> No, I'm pretty certain that this just hasn't been implemented.

Never tried to "inofficial" http://localhost:9000/?moreThanThis=1 url?

My bad. I've used it, but I forget it's there. My problem is that I usually manually enter URLs for the SqueezeCenters running on my server, so this is really only practical if attached to a bookmark.

Club1820
2008-04-24, 20:52
Yes, I use this URL, which gets a few non-standard extras than the default skin.

http://192.168.2.101:9000/?moreThanThis=1

HUH??? morethanthis=1 What is that? Did I miss something here? what is this url and what extras are included. First time seeing this . Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks.

kdf
2008-04-24, 21:20
On 24-Apr-08, at 8:52 PM, Club1820 wrote:

>
> Skittler;295006 Wrote:
>> Yes, I use this URL, which gets a few non-standard extras than the
>> default skin.
>>
>> http://192.168.2.101:9000/?moreThanThis=1
>
> HUH??? morethanthis=1 What is that? Did I miss something here?
> what is this url and what extras are included. First time seeing
> this .
> Sorry for my ignorance.

Best thing is to try it and see. It's been mentioned a number of
times in the beta forum. It adds the insert next and i think delete
buttons on the browse lists. It is an entirely UN-supported and UN-
documented feature (and will apparently very much stay that way). It
also would seem to indicate that Michael is a Peter Gabriel fan.
-k

Club1820
2008-04-24, 22:56
It is an entirely UN-supported and UN-
documented feature (and will apparently very much stay that way).
-k

Why? Seems like a great add. Before SqzCtr 7 I have always used Fishbone. Love it because of everything you could do with your playlist. But now I use the Default Skin, because quite frankly - I just love the look of it. It has a few more options than the previous default skin (now classic) but still not everything Fishbone has.

Is there a reason/s that the default skin can't do everything that Fishbone does?

Thanks for your previous reply and thanks in advance to any for these ?s.

mherger
2008-04-24, 23:08
> also would seem to indicate that Michael is a Peter Gabriel fan.

I definitely am. But it could have been Roxy Music, too :-)

Michael

mherger
2008-04-24, 23:09
> Is there a reason/s that the default skin can't do everything that
> Fishbone does?

We wanted to have a clean, simple Default UI.

Michael

Club1820
2008-04-25, 09:35
> Is there a reason/s that the default skin can't do everything that
> Fishbone does?

We wanted to have a clean, simple Default UI.

Michael

Fair Enough. But how about a "Default-Extended" Skin, or somethin called like that with Fishbone's functionality? Similar to "DefaultCB" for Default Custom Browse skin. Is it just not "do-able" ?

kdf
2008-04-25, 09:55
>
> mherger;295354 Wrote:
>> > Is there a reason/s that the default skin can't do everything that
>> > Fishbone does?
>>
>> We wanted to have a clean, simple Default UI.
>>
>> Michael
>
> Fair Enough. But how about a "Default-Extended" Skin, or somethin
> called like that with Fishbone's functionality? Similar to
> "DefaultCB" for Default Custom Browse skin. Is it just not "do-able" ?

perfectly do-able. SC is open source and 7.1 is having some rework to
make it even easier to customise the UI. The idea is that users can make
their own changes to fit their own needs. A number of years ago, when the
default skin was VERY plain, a few third-party skins showed up. It would
be good to see that again. SC shouldn't have to come 100% from the
handful of devs at Logitech. There is, of course, the morethanthis=1
parameter.

-k

pfarrell
2008-04-25, 09:59
kdf wrote:
> There is, of course, the morethanthis=1 parameter.

Which will lead to the "crazyoptionforjazz=1' parameter

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

buck
2008-05-06, 20:58
THANK YOU!!!
The lack of this feature was what was keeping me from using default skin on 7.0. In fact, I had downgraded to 6.5.5 - I didn't like how fishbone in 7.0 would bring up album info as a "pop-up" If I selected an item at the bottom of a page. I'd have to scroll back to the top to see the information. Probably just a setup thing on my part, but that discussion has the danger of straying off topic. So.. THANK YOU again!! :-)

Buck

Philip Meyer
2008-05-07, 00:03
>In the old Fishbone skin, the ability to remove everything by a
>particular artist (or a whole album) from the Now Playing list in one
>click was very useful.
>
>is it possible to do this from the remote somehow? Anyone want to write a plugin maybe?

Why don't you use Fishbone to remove artists that you don't want in your playlist and then save the playlist as a new playlist that you could then directly play in Default skin?

As an alternative way of achieving your desired effect, try Erland's CustomSkip plugin. It sounds a perfect solution to your problem.

It works best when listening to music on a SqueezeBox, but there is also a WebUI (although Erland's plugins are not perfect in the Default skin, I think this one works well).

On a player, it provides a mixer (press and hold play to invoke when you see an underlined m on the top-right of the display). From there you can select CustomSkip and choose what you want to skip. Eg, "Skip songs by the current artist", "Skip songs in the current genre", etc. You can add many filter rules. You can also do the opposite so that it only plays songs instead of skipping songs. Eg. "Only play songs by <artist>" and "Skip songs in year 2004".

You can make this a "permanent" filter rule or to only be active for say an hour.

You can select a percentage of times to skip, eg "skip songs by this artist 80% of the time", would mean that occasionally it would still play a song. This allows you to give some kind of bias to any form of random play.

You can set up different filter sets (collections of these rules), and switch between them.

I use it predominantly for avoiding accidental playback of digital surround-sound songs. If I want to pass digital songs out to my surround sound amp I switch the filter off before I accidentally damage my HiFi speakers/ears!

You can switch filter sets/edit filters from the PlayerUI or WebUI.

Phil

Skittler
2008-05-11, 06:26
Why don't you use Fishbone to remove artists that you don't want in your playlist and then save the playlist as a new playlist that you could then directly play in Default skin?
I'm talking about a dynamic playlist not a fixed one otherwise yes, I could do what you suggest.

As an alternative way of achieving your desired effect, try Erland's CustomSkip plugin.
I use Erland's plugin. I wasn't talking about always skipping that artist (or album), just removing it during that particular listening period. Creating a new Custom Skip rule each time isn't useful for that.

On a player, it provides a mixer (press and hold play to invoke when you see an underlined m on the top-right of the display). From there you can select CustomSkip and choose what you want to skip. Eg, "Skip songs by the current artist", "Skip songs in the current genre", etc. You can add many filter rules. You can also do the opposite so that it only plays songs instead of skipping songs. Eg. "Only play songs by <artist>" and "Skip songs in year 2004". You can make this a "permanent" filter rule or to only be active for say an hour.
This sounds much more like it. I'll have a go.

When do you get a 'mixer' and when don't you get one?

Philip Meyer
2008-05-11, 11:12
>When do you get a 'mixer' and when don't you get one?
>
Whenever you see an underlined m, there are mixers available. Press and hold play to get a list of mixers. I think Custom Skip is always available.

Certainly from Now Playing, press right to drill into info for a song, scroll down to album, artist, genre or year, and the Custom Skip mixer is available in the mixers.

Phil

Skittler
2008-05-18, 01:04
Yes, CustomSkip does this nicely.
It took me a while to figure out exactly how to access it using the remote, but it does exactly what I want and more.
Thanks Phil, and of course thanks yet again to Erland.